Author Topic: Is-Cargo-Known question  (Read 2060 times)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Is-Cargo-Known question
Hey all!

I want to set up an event (to be specific, a show subtitle text event) to occur if the player has failed to scan a certain ship. How can I do this? Setting up an is-event-false condition that refers to an is-cargo-known event does not work.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: Is-Cargo-Known question
Failed to scan?
Try has-departed-delay (or destroyed-departed-delay/is-destroyed-delay depending on how the ship can no longer be scanned) *and* not is-cargo-known ?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
If I recall correctly, your event, PVD_Hope, will turn false just as the mission ends. Until that happens, the event will simply not be true (yet). Droid's right there. That should work.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
I want to set up an event (to be specific, a show subtitle text event) to occur if the player has failed to scan a certain ship. How can I do this? Setting up an is-event-false condition that refers to an is-cargo-known event does not work.

While Droid803's solution should work, I want to point out your mistake here:
the condition you need is not "is-event-false-delay" but "is-event-incomplete" ... "is-event-false-delay" only works if the contion of the event returns as "false", e.g. the ship specified in a "is-destroyed-delay" did depart.

"is-event-incomplete" however triggers if the event did not come either true or false yet by the time it is checked, e.g. the event checks if another event with "is-destroyed-delay" condition has returned true or false, since the ship in the condition has neither been destroyed (true) nor departed (false), the return for the "is-event-incomplete"-check is "true" which triggers the first event. Would the ship have been destroyed or departed, turning the second event either true or false, the first event's "is-event-incomplete"-check returns "false", not triggering the first event.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 06:19:06 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I honestly prefer going the...

not
--is-cargo-known-delay

because it makes the SEXP more readable. But either way will work.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline HLD_Prophecy

Whoa, thanks a ton guys!

I didn't even know about the existence of is-event-incomplete. Or the existence of "not".

Yup, noob FREDer here. :rolleyes:

Offline HLD_Prophecy

not is-cargo-known did not work. Nothing happened. Trying is-event-incomplete...

Offline HLD_Prophecy

is-event-incomplete worked like a charm! Thanks a bunch!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
not is-cargo-known did not work.

conditions containig "not" should (have to?) always be combined with another condition, the use of and-in-sequence might be advised, otherwise the engine checks them as soon as possible (like the first frame of the mission) and sticks with the result
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline HLD_Prophecy

not is-cargo-known did not work.

conditions containig "not" should (have to?) always be combined with another condition, the use of and-in-sequence might be advised, otherwise the engine checks them as soon as possible (like the first frame of the mission) and sticks with the result

It was combined with another condition, an is-event-true-delay. That condition referred to a previous show-subtitle-text, with the delay being 10 seconds.

But if the engine checked, then the subtitle should have displayed (it did not) because the cargo was not yet known...  :confused:

I really don't think it matters as I got it to work the other way. Unless it's important that we hash this out.