Author Topic: I want to remake this  (Read 17414 times)

Re: I want to remake this
Something beyond them? What you mean?

A continuation of the wing beyond the engine pod
like so:
[img=http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9167/wingdesign.th.jpg]

hopefully you unerstand that scrappy diagram

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Then it would further scream Thunderbolt. :P

Then it would further scream Thunderbolt. :P

Indeed most definitely considering 60% of the design is Thunderbolt.
I have created a masterpiece.

meh... i'm not really familiar with the B5 designs

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
those lasers cannons are bigger than the cockpit, maybe doing them a little smaller will make it look better... I don't want to think about a laser bigger than a person thing.

anyway just a thought.

great work by the way, very original indeed.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
You know most cannons armed on aircraft today can easily be compared in size to Volkswagen Bettles right?

Gau that hurts!!!
XD

And more update the model body is coming along though a bit sloppy

Looks like a cross between an X-Wing and a B5 Starfury
Sig censored by people with no sense of humor

Aside from the Blizzard being over twice its size?

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I'm not fond of the guns being placed right at the wingtip, but since this is one of your main styling cues (seeing as another fighter has it) I can't suggest anything.

Props for keeping at this... I dunno, these models that you've done actually make me think of something important.

Is that image from Top Gear or something :wtf: :nervous:
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Top Gear?

Offline Enigmatic Entity

• Exemplar Essayer
  • Amigo ad infinitum.
A wacked out car show where teh hosts like to "test out" "vehicles". They do a lot of random stuff.
Juvenescence and multifariousness is eternal.

I think he means Top Gun.

And no that image is not from the movie. It does look like that gun is the 30mm Gatling gun used in the A-10.
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

nope. Topgear, besides Dr. Who, its the only good show on the BBC! 

Oh and love the models!  The look is a refreshing change for the normal FS ship design.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
It does look like that gun is the 30mm Gatling gun used in the A-10.

From the name of the image, it probably is the GAU-8 30mm on the A-10.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

I did say "Gau that hurts!" XD. Gau-8 Avenger to be exact. And yes that is the A-10 Gun, a monster of a weapon though I do admit the A10 is mostly that one gun and my fighter DEFINITELY doesn't have something that big XD...

oh I just remembered... I thought up of a fighter, about 60 meters long. Wait... a 60 meter long fighter? Lol yeah... almost a bomber if it had support for bombs but it was a fighter with over a dozen barrels of heavy weapons ha. Now that was intense.

Anyways a WIP. It is almost done. Well the base of the body. I want to add pipes and greebles to it.

Transparent is the original mesh

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
From practical perspective, it would be beneficial to move the weapons systems to the wingroots or even directly to the fuselage. The more mass you have far from the center of gravity, the bigger moment of inertia the ship is going to have, which directly affects the maneuverability of the ship. Thrusters, if they are to be used for maneuvering as well as propulsion, can benefit from being placed far from the CoG, but then again putting the engines on the ends of long levers creates all sorts of engineering problems with torque and stuff, which causes unnecessary structural stress and you end up needing to make the wings stronger and heavier than necessary.

Also, placing propulsion systems to significant distance from the center of gravity has other issues, especially for a military vessel. Consider what happens if one of the wings is hit and the stuff on the end of it is blown away... the fighter would be able to still use two of the engines (if upper starboard engine is blown away, lower starboard and upper port engines could still be used), but it means that if just one of the engines suffers damage, it's going to have the same effect as knocking out two engines would have. And if two engines are knocked out you're dead in the water because you have no way to counter that kind of asymmetric thrust and would just end up spinning wildly... If the thrusters were closer to the center of gravity, the problem wouldn't be as severe and possible attitude controllability problems could be reduced with thrust vectoring and maneuvering thrusters.

Not only that, but primary weapons would always benefit from being placed as close to the sight axis due to convergence issues. So from practical purposes, I would recommend at least moving the primaries to the wing roots. Or alternatively giving at least some kind of nose-mounted gun, because that wing span is going to make close quarters fighting with primaries a pain in the ass, as long as the dynamic convergence option isn't available.

Of course, Rule of Cool overrides these problems to certain extent, but the primaries realyl should be closer to the center. IMHO, anyway.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

About the primaries, solved to an extent. The wing guns do have a sort of convergence to them but are mostly long range suppression. I've played this thing ingame before, the older version. The wing guns are useless at close range but that is what the twin heavy cannons are for and those are practically on the nose. Fighter chases down enemies, dropping shields and hull at range then when you get up to them, let loose with the heavy guns. Then there is the very sizable missile and torpedo compatibility... (hey those huge racks carry more than harpoons :P)

As for realism... yeah I am stretching it quite a bit and I do confess I did plan on relying on the rule of cool to make up for a good deal of it. I also did plan on this class of ships having somewhat weak armor and no shields. (Hence why the Typhoon and Hurricane ships use their shield envelopes to protect the fighters) Also this faction has had a history of preferring speed, power, and versatility over specialization and defense. An aggressive faction that uses blitz tactics and flanking attacks to cripple enemies basically. But I don't think I've fully developed this into their designs and... it is 2:35AM, I've been working on this thing for 10 hours straight T_T... not in the mood to argue realism or anything.

It is almost done and at 15,000 polygons. I can spare 1000 more for greebles for the body.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Hot ****ing damn that is nice.
Can't wait to see this thing textured.

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
The model quality itself looks good but the wings seam to be to thin to hold these massive engine and missile pods when making hard turns or any other manouver except flying straight.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"