Author Topic: JtoH Eyecandy thread  (Read 20078 times)

Offline Kusanagi

• A man, a van, a plan, Vanama!
  • Enemy vessel captured
Just to show that we're NOT dead (Just had to get a new laptop and it took a while) we'll post a few screenshots of stuff we're working on! Sorry I haven't been around for the last few weeks, life just destroyed me :(

Right now, I have a few different screenshots to post, the first being the Harvesting Beam that will be used by resource collectors. It took a few days to get this right but it looks awesome in game, and if you fly into it, it will jack you up!

The first few pics are simply tests to see if a triangular beam was even feasable or workable, and once it was, the second shows the animated beam. I'll try to get video, but basically particle matter comes from the end of the beam and gets sucked into the emitter.

Second is the beta version of the Warpin effect with a Fenris standing in.

More to come!
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum
primum daemon scelestus est.

The animated effects look pretty close to the originals.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Those are some damn righteous collection beams.
The hyperspace ripple is sweet too.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Video of the Hyperspace Ripple!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De9Q2VuI1vk
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Not bad, all it's missing is the white glow that conforms to the shape of the ship as it goes in and out.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
White glow? I don't remember seeing one of those in HW1...

Either way, that's an issue for the source code as the hyperspace effect only drags an effect over the hull. I wish it could do a 3d POF like the subspace warpout but that won't work since it would need to be scaled ingame.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Yeah, it's an effect in HW2, but it would at least keep people from seeing inside the ship as it's halfway through the rift.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Unfortunately, there's no way to do that as it stands right now...I wish there was though! Perhaps by the time of release it may be included in a build. That was also something obscured for the most part by the POF file used for the subspace animation.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'm not a fan of HW, but that doesn't prevent me from appreciating your work. Keep it up! :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Skullar

YEAH ! Old school HW is just great, especially when the old music score is there as well :)

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
YEAH ! Old school HW is just great, especially when the old music score is there as well :)

^This.

I am fan of the HW1, so keep it up guys!

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured

^This.

I am fan of the HW1, so keep it up guys!

Unfortunately we may not be able to use the music from the original HW for it for several reasons, but don't worry. We have PLENTY of music in the Homeworld vein that will get you pumped up to blow stuff up :D
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Unfortunately we may not be able to use the music from the original HW for it for several reasons, but don't worry. We have PLENTY of music in the Homeworld vein that will get you pumped up to blow stuff up :D
You will have Adagio For Strings though, won't you?
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Angus Dei? How could we NOT?  :pimp:
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

All is well, then.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
"That's a beautiful sight..."

Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Kharak looks sooo HUGE !  :eek2:

Have you planned to rework the textures BTW ? The mothership's one seems to be a bit old (maybe that's the original ?)

But it's...just wonderful to see this, you know. Bringing this to life. Thanks  :yes:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Kharak looks sooo HUGE !  :eek2:

Have you planned to rework the textures BTW ? The mothership's one seems to be a bit old (maybe that's the original ?)

But it's...just wonderful to see this, you know. Bringing this to life. Thanks  :yes:

Reworking the textures is something that probably won't be done for the initial release which will be a few missions to start. We plan on using retail textures from HW1 with some updates like glowmapping, some simple normalmapping and new firingpoints for player ships/turrets to make capital craft a bit more intimidating.

That way we can focus on gameplay aspects and make it fun, then hopefully recruit some people that wouldn't mind redoing textures or remodelling ships...but keep in mind there are as many models in HW as there are in FS2  :yes:
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Yes ... I just read this...

...Texturers: Homeworld and its models are extremely inefficient when it comes to texture usage, at least as far as FSO is concerned. Ships with similar textures or parts of similar design will share textures easily. The problem occurs because these are not tiles that scale over the surface of the ship.

Some ships in game use as many as 20 to 30 texture maps applied to various polygons on their hull, and this can double for Cataclysm ships.

...and for now, I understand that the textures are very different in how they are handled in both games... In fact, we will need a kind of "power of optimization" like BP to have new textures working ?
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Kusanagi

• Enemy vessel captured
Actually, Herra and a few of the BP people will shoot me for this, but right now the textures are optimized for memory, if not user friendliness. We're using the render-to-texture function in MAX to get each ship down to only one or two textures. While this doesn't create a very efficient UV map, it reskins the models and remaps them using all the other textures.

There's six textures in the above image. The original unoptimized models were much worse. The mothership had something like 40 and the scaffold had 78.
Cum historia
mutat valde Razgriz
revelat ipsum