Author Topic: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [CLOSED - 1/1/14]  (Read 60296 times)

Offline Kodachi

Re: The MediaVPs 2014 Open Beta [BETA 2 - 12/7/13]
I just tried the BETA 2 and the Seth, Osiris and some other ships no longer use HTL models but instead the low quality original models in FS Port. Anyone else having this problem?

The shield ani is fixed, so thumbs up for that.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I just tried the BETA 2 and the Seth, Osiris and some other ships no longer use HTL models but instead the low quality original models in FS Port. Anyone else having this problem?

Don't test it against the FSPort, because the Port has its own set of MediaVPs that will need to be released to be compatible with this set.

Offline Kodachi

OK, I'm just a bit confused because the first BETA upgraded the models in FS Port as well.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The first Beta was literally "here's what's on our SVN... GO". It had random files and table entries all over the place, including some entries specifically for FSPort. Those entries would never have been included with the MediaVPs2014. I have already reached out to the FSPort guys to fixup their tables.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
Feint, Parry, Riposte:

- Some odd dialog desynchronization when the NTD Repulse (if I remember correctly) is instakilled before it can even accelerate towards Colossus

I had this same problem, not sure if it should be mantised or if mission specific issues go elsewhere.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Kodachi

I have the same problem with the NTD Repulse. Already in 3.6.12 it was killed before it could collide with the Colossus, but now it is destroyed even earlier.

Someone also mentioned that the first SOC mission had become more difficult. I concur. The Iceni is not able to take out that Sobek in time.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Seeing all the bugs makes me wonder if anyone would be up for doing a remake of the FS2 campaign...

And yeah. I always had the Repulse get owned by the Colli as soon as the XO went: "...Willing to die for neoterra!" Now it's even faster. :P

Another possible issue:

Capital ships in the nebula seem to appear 100 % visible for a few seconds every now and then. And then they are again properly obscured in the mist. This happens regardless whether you are 2 kms away or 100 meters away.

The Aquitaine in "Proving Grounds" seems to be especially problematic. It's like every I time I face it, it takes 2 seconds to hide itself in the nebula. This definitely represents a different behaviour than I remember. Usually capital ships are totally obscured until you get very close.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yeah I've seen it happen as well, but could not reach a conclusion as to what might cause the issue. Used to think it was a lighting calculation problem from the code but the thing is just not reproducible.
el hombre vicio...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Another possible issue:

Capital ships in the nebula seem to appear 100 % visible for a few seconds every now and then. And then they are again properly obscured in the mist. This happens regardless whether you are 2 kms away or 100 meters away.

The Aquitaine in "Proving Grounds" seems to be especially problematic. It's like every I time I face it, it takes 2 seconds to hide itself in the nebula. This definitely represents a different behaviour than I remember. Usually capital ships are totally obscured until you get very close.

Can anyone else confirm this?

This is not a bug in the mediavps; It sounds more like it's either a bug in the graphics code, or the GPU driver.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

This is not a bug in the mediavps; It sounds more like it's either a bug in the graphics code, or the GPU driver.

Oh? I've sunk dozens of playtime hours during the past few weeks using MediaVP_3612 - numerous nebula missions included. This bug didn't happen even once, so I naturally thought that this was problem with the new MediaVP.

OR it could also be the 6th December nightly build. I've only used it with the new MediaVP, so I should probable combine it with old MediaVP to see, if the problem is in the executable.

I'll report later.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Oh? I've sunk dozens of playtime hours during the past few weeks using MediaVP_3612 - numerous nebula missions included. This bug didn't happen even once, so I naturally thought that this was problem with the new MediaVP.

OR it could also be the 6th December nightly build. I've only used it with the new MediaVP, so I should probable combine it with old MediaVP to see, if the problem is in the executable.

I'll report later.

Trust me on this. If there are assets in the mediavps that are triggering this bug, it's a bug in the engine, not the assets.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

I haven't perused this beta myself yet, but aren't the nebulas used here the new nebulas? These could be the source of the problem (I do recall that the new nebulas do have this problem now and then, although I think these glitches are outweighed by the awesomeness of the new nebulas...).

AFAIK, the nebula is hardcoded in a strange way, obligating formats (PCX?) that are not at all amusing to code around and Zacam was pretty frustrated with this issue.

Until some Valathil - level genius comes around and "fixes" the code for the nebula for good, we will have always strange glitches, etc., IMHO.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Lykurgos88 also has the disappearing Sath issue that I can't reproduce.. so I'm inclined to believe that he is suffering from a GPU issue or some other local setup issue. The nebula stuff could also be mixed with a random bug issue, who knows.

Lykurgos88 also has the disappearing Sath issue that I can't reproduce.

This was actually a bit problematic to test with Beta 2, since the mission file was apparently included in the Beta.vp -file, which I first FORGOT to delete when installing Beta2. After I deleted the Beta.vp though, I can't really tell if the problem is there or not. Is that SathTest -mission easy to make in the FRED, or should I get the mission file somewhere else?

Trust me on this. If there are assets in the mediavps that are triggering this bug, it's a bug in the engine, not the assets.

I'm inclined to believe that he is suffering from a GPU issue or some other local setup issue. The nebula stuff could also be mixed with a random bug issue, who knows.

I deleted the Beta.vp file before entering nebula missions, so think my installation is now solid.

BUT there is actually another thing I just remembered doing before changing to MediaVP_beta_2014: I updated my graphics drivers to 331.82 version (I have Geforce GTX 770). So is it perhaps possible, that this is a GPU driver related issue? At least I haven't encountered any massive rendering problems in other games.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Looking through the differnt LODs:

- LOD0 of the Ares has a vertical offset (higher than the lower LODs)
- LOD0 of the Myrmidon has a longitudinal offset (further back than the lower LODs)

And wasn't there a HTL Zephyrus released some time ago? (or am I just remembering WIP screenshots?)

Also, LOD distances are a tad on the conservative side, I have set the model detail slider to max, and on fighters and asteroids the LOD switching is quite noticeable. It makes sense to set the LOD distances of high-poly models so that they are actually used, but IMHO these distances should be calibrated to the medium detail settings, so that the player has the option to adjust in both directions.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I understand what you are saying, but there is absolutely no chance that I'm going to manually go through and tweak every LOD distance ever. I simply don't have the capacity to do that and the rest of the FSU team seems to be on an extended hiatus or something.

No new ships, whether proven previously completed or not, will be added to the MediaVPs at this point. If you wanted them in, you should have pointed them out after Beta 1.

While understandable, I would like the MediaVPs to be as complete as possible for convenience and ease of management.
Every new ship that replaces retail ships that I have to add to my mod instead of being part of the MediaVPs would get me closer to the ship table limit (or at least the F3 lab navigation limit) and raise the file size of the mod, which would be an inconvenience.

(Quick Edit addition): If it's a case of lack of time, perhaps others could assist you?
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's a case of 'code freeze'. The MediaVPs2014 are as complete as they are going to be.

This is easily the largest, most comprehensive, and most complete MediaVPs release ever... I think you can wait a little longer for whatever asset you think is completed enough to make this release.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
How many people in FSU are in college?  It's worth noting that this would be finals period for them.