Author Topic: Lighting test for WiH  (Read 50127 times)

Offline -Sara-

I'll make some screenshots next time I'm ingame, torc. No need to guilttrip me.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:15:36 pm by -Sara- »
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
is not my intention... nevermind
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline docfu

Hello to the Creator of this mod(the post processing) and the dev team,

I'm a long time fan who just signed up to say that this definitely needs to be part of the base package for FSO. I'm not saying it needs to be enabled by default but having optional movie-like effects like these available greatly improve the quality of Freespace and truely bring it up to date versus other games in the genre.

The effects fury provided remind me of another game that was way ahead of it's time, steel battalion/tekki. Even though the game resolution was low, the post processing effects made the game way more interesting to play and really force you to rely on hud/targeting systems. Between that and the giant controller it felt like a true generational leap that no game has been able to come close to as far as integration just like almost no game has come close to freespace in terms of combat intensity.

That is all. Carry on.

TL:DR; Keep up the good work.

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Some shots of how data_subtle looks on Age of Aquarius:

Offline -Norbert-

"Your ships truly are as beautifull as Iwakura told!" ;)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
That second pic looks amazing!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
The first pic reminds me how I miss with the absence of normal mapping.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Re. the video:  Looks cool, just seems a tad overblown.  :D

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the following two links; my point is merely, "just be careful not to overdo it."  It's very easy to get carried away (especially with film grain; I feel it's best to reserve that for cutscenes where the view is from a camera).  I love how Valve implemented bloom (HDR, actually), though.*

http://screwattack.com/blogs/XenoLs-blog/Five-of-the-Most-Annoying-Graphical-Effects
http://gangles.ca/2008/07/18/bloom-disasters/

*http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/HDR

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re. the video:  Looks cool, just seems a tad overblown.  :D

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the following two links; my point is merely, "just be careful not to overdo it."  It's very easy to get carried away (especially with film grain; I feel it's best to reserve that for cutscenes where the view is from a camera).  I love how Valve implemented bloom (HDR, actually), though.*

http://screwattack.com/blogs/XenoLs-blog/Five-of-the-Most-Annoying-Graphical-Effects
http://gangles.ca/2008/07/18/bloom-disasters/

*http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/HDR
fixed links

that first one just sounds like someone whining though.  HDR, depth of field, motion blur, etc are all amazing when done right.  (take a look at crysis).  bloom can start to get into trouble, and i agree that film grain is completely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:28:55 am by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I think all of what's on those sites is mindless *****ing, I like all of the effects, maybe not film grain so much, but the rest I think are awesome.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i must say their "primary example" of bloom Twilight Princess is retarded.  i love the lighting in that game.  it's a magical forest you twit, it's supposed to be shiny :P

Offline -Norbert-

But guildwars is a very good example of how bloom shouldn't be used. Just smashing it over the whole screen at an intensity that blinds you on beaches and in the snow and everywere else completely blurs everything....
Nexus on the other hand handles bloom very well. Instead of just blooming the whole screen, it's used to enhance weapon and explosion effects, planetary atmospheres and suns.
Less is often more.... or at least better.

And while film-grain isn't going to be good for scenes that you play yourself, it might come in handy for cutscenes that show flashbacks, or maybe newsvids to have a visual difference between those and the "normal" cutscenes.

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
i like a lot film grain....reminds me the '80 james cameron's movies  :yes:
i find it fantastic used a little bit (less Avatar and more Aliens  :nod: )
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
I've never been too crazy about the film grains.  It always takes out of the game's performance...
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline Kolgena

It's good if done right, but it rarely ever is. I think part of the point is to obscure textures so that the player assume they look better than they actually are, but without the player realizing it.

I'm wondering how much of a performance hit film grain specifically has on FSO... If it's huge, I'd gladly turn it off to scrape some frames back.

Offline NFSRacer

• Professional aircraft crasher!
    • Steam
Ditto.  Looks only count for 10% of the game in my books.
"Said 'It was up to us.  Up to us, to decide.  You've become a virus that eating up it host.  We've been watching you with all our eye, and what you seem to value most.  'So much potential'.  Or so we used to say.  Your greed, self-importance, and your arrogance, you p*** it all away.'" - NIN from Year Zero

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Never seen any real performance hit due to postprocessing.

Offline Kolgena

Are you kidding me? Maybe my GPU sucks, but there's no way that it doesn't impact performance (unless your bottleneck isn't what runs the post-processing)

Ship lab.
Show post-processing off: 120 fps locked
Show post-processing on: ~94 fps

Mind, 120 is the game's cap, so impact would be higher than that. Anyways, did a quick test: I get 10% less FPS running noise filter (at 0.18 intensity), so I'm leaving that off.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
It's good if done right, but it rarely ever is. I think part of the point is to obscure textures so that the player assume they look better than they actually are, but without the player realizing it.

I'm wondering how much of a performance hit film grain specifically has on FSO... If it's huge, I'd gladly turn it off to scrape some frames back.

that is a RETARDED reason for an effect imo.  making it deliberately worse to make it better? :ick:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

that is a RETARDED reason for an effect imo.  making it deliberately worse to make it better? :ick:

It's an excellent reason. One of the reasons bloom is great is because it can help cover up effect clipping.