Author Topic: newbie question...freespace cutscenes?  (Read 2188 times)

newbie question...freespace cutscenes?
i am finally able to play the FSport on Freespace 2.  I copied the *.mve files from original Descent Freespace disks to "Freespace2\data\movies" folder.  Freespace 2 does not recognize the movies and I am not able to watch the Freespace cutscenes.

Everything else seems to be working fine.  I am using FS2_open_3_5.exe to play.  Any advice whould be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

kalahari

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Quite simply, FS Open cannot read .mve files.  Retail can, but the code to play mve files is proprietary and was not included in the FS2 code when it was made open source.  Instead, the SCP team replaced it with code to play .avi files.  Although converters for mve-to-avi are technically illegal, it is available and the FS1 and FS2 cutscenes have been converted.  There should be a sticked thread in the General Freespace forum regarding an FTP server.  You should find the cutscenes there (if its still up and running).
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Thanks for the info.  I found most of what you suggested.  Still learning.  Thanks a lot for your help!!!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
You will find FS1 cut scenes here

Do not forget to rename fs1 intro (has to be intro.avi)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis