Author Topic: Cutscene for Failure on Endgame Petition  (Read 77185 times)

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Re: Cutscene for Failure on Endgame Petition
But those screenshots were made ingame.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
lol, actually no - it's all in blender. I would have thought the sparkly glowey shimmery lighting on the lucifer as it exited would have given it away. :p
Thanks though - it does mean I've achieved just about ingame quality in blender now. :D

I would say that's ingame from the look of the ship and background and VA's new custom subspace vortex.
Heh, actually due to the totally abysmal reception that effect got, I rebuilt it from the ground up for this cutscene - putting huge effort into making it look as close to the Endgame vortex as I could. I'll get round to making an ingame version of this effect once I get it just right in this sequence. It is an INSANELY difficult effect to replicate. :\
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Doh'! Oh well it still looks quite pretty and with normal mapping and shaders the game should easily come to such a level of image quality soon. Or maybe ''Soon-ish''. Will you release that Subspace effect? I'm getting tired of Axem's one and would like to replace it with yours but his still looks nice and both of you look miles better than the original effect.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Progress is being made slowly. Subspace is an unbelievably difficult process to get to look right. Slightly out settings make it look totally whacked.

Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Here, use these for ref pics, I think you're missing some of the green coloring on the Lucy (I extracted endgame.ogg from \fsport\FS1OGGCutscenepack.vp and played it with VLC Media Player; I also have ffdshow installed):

Looks beautiful, VA. If you compare the reference pics to VA's stuff, then you see how much better the MediaVPs look than Volition's top-of-the-line cinematic models.

VA's subspace effects are non-canonical, but hey, they look a good deal cooler.  :yes:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
BTW... am I the only one that notices that the Lucy was chopped in half?  :nervous:

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Mustang: Heh, thanks :) but I don't think I'll be able to bring the lucy right up to the [v] cinematic one's level. While the MVP fighters look much better, the bump mapped detail on the [v] lucifer is very impressive. I'll have a go at roughing up the bumpmap I'm using when I get home tonight though since it makes the surface look a little slimy ATM.

jr2: I am so not putting green, blue, yellow and turquoise splodges all over the lucifer instead of the angry red it has now. :p
I already have that cutscene actually and watched it to death, but the ref pics may come in handy for how the fighters emerge - that's next on my to-copy list except they have to get wasted in the process. Thanks. ;)

Hmm, I think I'll also tone down the 'subspace lights' that are intended to bleach the hull at the point of exit - they carry on a bit far and hide a lot of detail. Another thing I might change is to replace the procedural lens flare effect at the subspace opening with one that looks a bit more 'majestic' like the cutscene one.
Twisted Infinities

Hey, I never noticed that. Shivans were originally meant to be green, ended up being red, and the cutscene Lucifer is a mix of both.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It is, yeah. It looks inexplicably good in the cutscenes, but Galemp made a similarly coloured version of the HTL lucifer when I first released it and it just...didn't work. :\
Twisted Infinities

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Needs to be re-done, then... the Lucy in the cutscene looks horrifyingly menacing. ;7

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Off you go then. :p
Twisted Infinities

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
hmmm....i also would appreciate an alternative ending-cutscene in fsport. maybe i can support a little bit?!
but i´m working with c4d R9.....

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Heh, thanks but to be honest there's not much anyone else can do to help but give suggestions. :\

That said - I reckon there's plenty of other places that could use cutscenes in the Port. For example, the destruction of Vasuda prime and the first meeting of the Lucifer, where it destroys tombough station. If someone were to make a cutscene of either of those, I'm pretty sure the Port team would put them in. :)

They were both originally planned and made by [v], but didn't get included except as screenshots and little tiny ANIs in command briefings.
Twisted Infinities

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
 i would be interested in making the vasuda-prima-cutscene

but in order to concentrate on a good animation i would apreciate to get the detailed model of the lucy and one or two fighter-models for background-action...... would save a lot of time. otherwise i would need to make the complete models again in cinema....

obj or lightwave files would work very good in c4d....anyone can help?

furthermore detailed textures would be perfect....

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Be warned that making a cutscene is a lot of work. I'm still only on the lucy emerging from the vortex. (I would highly recommend you avoid using subspace as much as possible due to the HUGE number of problems or weirdness issues I've had with it so far)

In any case - I've not gotten to the fighters yet, but here's the lucifer (with all turrets) in OBJ format with the textures I used on it in the screenies:
http://www.sectorgame.com/ti-file-dump/VasudanAdmiral/CutsceneLucifer.zip
Edit: Oh - you may have to copy and paste the link. SG security is still problematic. :(

And finally, I've managed to rough up the normal map a bit. It now looks like this:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:06:09 am by Vasudan Admiral »
Twisted Infinities

Now that's what I call a lobster.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
thanks VA!

i will have a look on the weekend....

and i know how many work that is :) have a look on my homepage....
i think incl. modeling, doing a script, setting up the scenes i need 1 or two
month. and then the rendering.....i have a small renderfarm at home, but
this will (depending on quality) also take weeks....

:(

edit:
crap....i will have to make the whole texturing again. furthermore the model is very...hmm....corrupt.....lets call it a poly salad  :wtf:
but i will see
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 08:58:30 am by IceyJones »

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Whoa...Awsome.

It's nice to start something...Good work VA. Hey work shots of the destroyed Earth, Why not use the image from Darius' Blue Planet - Age of Aquarius
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
have a look on my homepage....
Just did - wow!  :cool:
I loved the compositing one with the star wars traffic.  :lol:

I look forward to seeing what you can come up with then!

edit:
crap....i will have to make the whole texturing again. furthermore the model is very...hmm....corrupt.....lets call it a poly salad  :wtf:
but i will see
The UV data is definitely still there - I opened it up in 3DS max just to be sure before uploading it. 3D exploration should be able to read it (You can get it here if you need it) and from there you can try saving into various formats that c4d can read. :)

I'm not sure what state the mesh will be in though. A quick test in truespace suggests it is stable, which would mean that again the import in c4d is the cause of the problems.

Definitely don't go and re-UV map it though. I would send you a copy of the thing in every format imaginable before I would force you to re-UV that monster. It really does have some HORRIBLY done bits on it because I had to use the original texture as the base for the new model. For example - much of the texture applied to the two arms comes from a badly reused part of the central lower prong. This sort of thing was done all over the original lucy, and so it took forever to redo for the high detail version. :\
Twisted Infinities