Author Topic: WIP - Cutscene: SD Lucy arrives at Tombaugh-Station  (Read 113210 times)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: WIP - Cutscene: SD Lucy arrives at Tombaugh-Station
noredwarpeffect basta  :)  But the idea about Lucy emerging from the bloody clouds is awesome, Icey.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
yesterday i tried a little bit with this nebula-effect.

main problems are render times. if lucy shall produce visible, means volumetric, shadows inside the nebula, i must use pyrocluster (c4d-cloud-engine)  as this one can produce self-shadows etc. so each frame would render about an hour  :mad:

if i use visible lights the volumetric effects are gone, as visible lights cannot cast and receive shadows  :hopping: dam nit.....i want this effect! i will fake something together.....maybe i find a solution  :doubt:

but thanks for the valk incl. cockpit!

[attachment deleted by ninja]

Offline Vidmaster

yeah, he got the Valk! No need to cut it from the script!!!  :)

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
last 30 minutes trying to add a little bit of detail.....means additional edges, etc.....i think it looks a little bit better already.....

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Are you changes backportable to Freespace?

Sorry I missed your request earlier, feel free to PM if you need anything Freespace Conversion related but aren't getting a response.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
i fear we cannot backport it so easy as i added polys which have now no uvw-mapping for the original texture......it must be mapped completely new.....

futhermore the mesh is now pretty much messed up with n-gons.....

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
tried to improve the pilot-head a little as the one included in the cockpit-meshes is just.....hmmm....fake.... ;) if i want to show a scene looking into the cockpit, i need more detail.....so this is the result. i think i can live with it...

the body is just thrown into a nurb, the helmet is improoved with additional polys and nurb finally, and the head is the standard C4D-head, but with the ash-texture

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
hmm.....the interest seems to be gone here.....

nevertheless after a discussion in the german fs-board, changed shape of the helmet in order to meet the original one better

original:

Offline Admiral Nelson

Less a matter of interest being gone than early morning time across the US, where many posters are located.  I certainly look forward to whatever you can do, and I am sure this is true for all of the other board members.  :yes:

You do seem to be able to pull off a lot given very little source material.  The pilot figure in the FSO cockpit is good for in mission, where it just flashes by, but you are right that a close up would never do.   I think in addition to the mask shape, the FSO pilot does not even have hands. :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
maybe you´re right with the time...nevertheless the interest drops imho, as i still could use someone, who makes scetches for each scene. these would be a great help for me. otherwise i have to make every scene out of my mind as i´ve done with the vasuda-cutscene.....i bet using a scetchbook would avoid a lot of senseless rendering effort....

and right....there are no hands in the cockpit....but i will avoid views which would show them.....i only need the head in order to let him look around a bit....

Offline Admiral Nelson

Okay, perhaps post up exactly what you need in the form of a 'sketchbook'.  I am sure we can assemble folks to help you in that respect.  You want something like a storyboard?

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
right.....not only text, but also scetches of each camera-setting.

with such a storyboard we could discuss each scene in ADVANCE of doing the main work in 3d. would safe a lot of time and work imho!

maybe someone can FRED a mission?! ;)

Offline Admiral Nelson

That is an interesting idea -- a cutscene mission would allow an approximation of your cutscene to be created and viewed.  Let me PM someone who is good at in game cutscenes.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
btw: is it possible to export ship-movements out of FRED into a 3d-program?! then we could let dozens of fighters swirl around and i just put thim into the renderer.....that would be great....

if not:
FEATURE REQUEST ;)

and btw: thanks for the help nelson :)

Offline Admiral Nelson

I can't answer that question, but please don't hesitate to ask in here if you require anything.  Sometimes it is hard to tell whether posters are just working on stuff, or if they are waiting for something, etc...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, that movement-export feature would be really nifty.

So you want an in-engine cutscene as a storyboard? I'll give it a shot.

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
:) that would be great mustang....thanks 4 the help

a rough idea about the general actions was posted earlier in the thread

but as it will not be possible to extract ship movements out of FRED, i suggest we use FRED for making the storyboard pictures, as well as setting up the scene in general, means where is wich ship located, in wich direction is it moving, distances, etc....
with this reference i can create the scene in my 3d-progg accordingly

i will try to create a written storyboard out of my mind this weekend with wich you can work with

again thanks 4 help!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 02:04:05 am by IceyJones »

Offline IceyJones

• Maker of Cutscenes
  • ATM busy
    • IceyJones.de
but first of all:

hands for our poor Mr. Cannonfodder

Offline Vidmaster

how to make screenshots of FRED? I remember there was a F-something combination but...