Author Topic: Freespace 1 Era Node Map  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Solatar

Freespace 1 Era Node Map
Inspired by several previous things thrown around here about such a nodemap, I made one of my own in paintshop. It's a more artistic version of JAL-18's nodemap (with research on the systems done by Andreas). I've placed Talania where I thought it ought to be (it can be ignored) and addes the Diones system mentioned in the FSrefbible (connects to Aldeberan and Talania, arbitrarily). I've been extremely busy with school, rehearsals for various music groups, and other general real life things but I open up FRED once in awhile, and this is the map I use.

Again, layout is pretty much the same as JAL-18's, and I didn't do the research, just made it look better (IMO).
The nodemap is a "snapshot" of space right before the Shivan incursion. PVE systems have a green tint, GTA ones a blue tint, and several "unexplored" systems (the Luyten area ones) are white.

Enjoy/flame/hope this is the appropriate forum.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Freespace 1 Era Node Map
There's three jump nodes leading to Sol. :wtf:

Everything else looks good to me. :yes:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Solatar

I'll look and try to find the discussion, might have been awhile back (I can't remember, I made this map several months ago). The premise was that Andreas went through FS1 and "fixed" the inconsistencies with the FS2 nodemap, adding nodes where needed. Rather than a canon nodemap, this is one of those purist "what V might have intended" things. That's why Sol has three jump nodes, and several other systems have nodes to weird places.

Offline Topgun

sol cannot have three jump nodes. the whole fs2 story line is screwed that way.

Offline Solatar

I was under the impression that by labeling it non-canon, and explaining the reason for it having three nodes I was clear on why it didn't, in fact, have three nodes. The map has its origins in this thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,28611.40.html

Offline terran_emperor

• 7 Impossible Requests Before Breakfast
  • Kane Live in Death
Sol Has  3 node in system according to CommandBriefing anis. Also the endgame cutscene mentions "All the jump points from Earth" instead of just "the only jump point from Earth", meaning there are more than 2 nodes in sol.

My theory is that the all 3 nodes were in a very tight triangle formation, similar to A-Centauri. When the Lucifer Exploded, the blast was of large enough scale to take out all 3. However, for whatever reason, by FS2 time the D-Serpentis Node is the one with the most chande of recovery.

BTW, you forgot Aldebaren-Altair Node. And G-Draconis shos up as an unlabled system...
Oh can you make the tints more prominent
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 02:13:49 am by terran_emperor »
e = m csarged - Relativity according to Sarge [Red vs Blue]

TRUE SHIVAN

HLP's only Goro Naya (Great Leader) fan

"I really wasn't expecting this much losership"

"Only one thing is impossible for a Vorlon to understand: How to change the IRQ setting in any DOS computer."

HLP Brit

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
There's three jump nodes leading to Sol. :wtf:

Everything else looks good to me. :yes:

http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Node_Inconsistencies

In fact, if someone consulted the wiki, they would realize it gave all the systems and their known connections. Damn noobs. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
From my Shivan theory:

Quote from: Snail's Theory
Another side-effect of the cataclysm was the creation of "phasing" and "dependent" nodes. Phasing subspace nodes were nodes that phased in and out of a usable condition. The nodes in FS1 that were not functional in FS2 were phasing nodes which had gone into a "dormant" stage during the events of FS2 and hence were not usable.

Dependent subspace nodes are "bonded" to a stronger Jump Node or Nodes, and are directly affected by things that happen to the main Node. Known dependent nodes were the extra nodes leading to Sol other than the Delta Serpentis node (see Node Inconsistencies for more information). Once the main Sol-Delta Serpentis node was destroyed, the other dependent nodes bound to it were appropriately destroyed.

Well that's what I think... :nervous:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Mad Bomber thought it first. :D

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
I did indeed come up with phasing nodes, but not 'dependent nodes'.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Solatar

I think the theories concerning the fluctuating stability of nodes is really a very valid point. You've got Shivans in FS1 using uncharted nodes, as well as plenty of nodes that aren't used in FS2. It's entirely possible the fluctuations of some nodes were regular, and mapped. It's like trying to drive through the St. Bernard's pass: in winter you know you can't take the alpine road. If you want to travel from system X to system Y in one jump, you have to wait for it to be stable. If not, you can travel around. In a time of war, getting an edge on the Vasudans is worth traversing a few nodes that wouldn't otherwise be used.

Offline Koth

• Join the NTF! We have cookies!
Node map counter attack!

[attachment deleted by ninja]
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Mad Bomber thought it first. :D

Yeah I thought it was a kewl idea. :nervous:

Offline Solatar

I quite like yours Koth. Obviously set 35 years from mine, actually noting the "phasing" nodes was a good idea. Of course the farther we go, the farther we go into speculation. I think speculation can get kind of interesting though (as long as it doesn't get TOO far fetched).

Offline Koth

Well, actually that was a ten minute Paint.NET job. I just looked at the FS Wiki and added every Jumpnode and System I could find.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Solatar

The one I posted in this thread took maybe 20 - 30 minutes, but only because it's shiny...

Creating these things isn't hard, I just had one lying on my hardrive I figured I'd share. Makes no difference to me what anybody thinks of it.

Offline Koth

I just wanted a nodemap which included every system and jumpnode there is and as I didn't find an already existing one I made my own.
The Signature is a Nuke!

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
Gamma Draconis isn't discovered until after the Great War ends, so it shouldn't be labeled anyway.

However, I can't see the territorial tints at all; either I've suddenly gone colorblind, or they're all white.
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

:necro:

But you're right anyway.

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Gamma Draconis was discovered shortly BEFORE the Great War.