Author Topic: Game crashes duing mission...  (Read 2992 times)

Game crashes duing mission...
Hi guys,

First off, I'm extremly happy with the work you have put into this. and ss an old fan of the series its an aboslutely pleasure seeing people who still care about an old game which many new gamers will never see or experient (trust me, is trying hard to get friends to play this as well :P).

But, I do have one problem with one of the missions that causes the game to freeze and then crash with no error messages. Its the mission "La Ruota Della Fortuna" and it happens right after the GTC Galatea jumps in to help finishing off the last Shivans. Specifically its when the Hellios 1 and 2 enters the system the game dies for unknown reasons.

My OS is Vista 64-bit Ultimate with the most recently Nvidia Drivers, the latest nightly build of FS2Open and FSPort, version 5.5d of the Launcher and everything put to Max in details. I even tried putting everything to Low since it might be some graphics problem, but no difference. Still freezes and crashes after the two Hellios ships warp in.

Any ideas on how I can get this problem fixed?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Game crashes duing mission...
Are you using the MediaVP graphical upgrades?

Are you using the MediaVP graphical upgrades?

Yep, using the whole package. Did a reinstall with the updater and for some reason the problem disappeared  :wtf:

Downloaded the exact same version (did save my savegames/profiles), but now it works. Just one of those days I guess  :rolleyes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You may have a corrupt MediaVP download. That's been happening lately.

Make sure you've actually got the MediaVPs working -- are the graphics noticeably way more gorgeous? It should be a pretty astounding difference.

Before I noticed the problem (since I am progressing through the content) everything looked awesome - only minor things like some background planets/moon was still the retail version, but that should be fixed in the upcomin patch I read. Other then that, it looks delicious and crisp.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
And you've got the high-poly ship models?

Go check out the 'Celebration of Freespace' thread in the General Freespace Discussion forum. Go to one of the later pages and make sure your game looks like that.

And you've got the high-poly ship models?

Go check out the 'Celebration of Freespace' thread in the General Freespace Discussion forum. Go to one of the later pages and make sure your game looks like that.

I just checked that topic and I must admit that alot of the screenshots (from FS1 or FS2 without any speciel mods like Star Trek etc) looks alot more sharp. Some explosions looks a lot more detailed in those shots. I did download the full package of v3.1.1 through the downloader.

I'll download the FSPort Media VP Pack manually to see if it does any difference.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, make sure it's referenced in your FSPort Mod.ini file. The release thread has info on how to set that up.

Also go through your launcher options and make sure the good stuff's turned on (pretty much everything under 'graphics'.) If your video card's modern enough, normal maps will provide a tremendous leap forward.

Wow, that package did wonders - gone are the old backgrounds and models. And here I thought it looked awesome without! I better start playing FS1 from scratch again now since I do not wanna miss out on any sweet eye-candy.

Thanks dude - totally missed the mod.ini file in the configurations  :rolleyes: