Author Topic: Can't get past the first basic training mission in FSP!  (Read 3412 times)

Offline hlhbk

Can't get past the first basic training mission in FSP!
Everything appears to be running right but I get to the point where the instuctor tells you to hit \ to go maximum speed.  I do this, and fly around and nothing happens.  I have tried starting, stopping, using after burners.  The objectives still say to press \. Any ideas?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Can't get past the first basic training mission in FSP!
:welcome:

Are you making sure that you're not touching whatever other throttle controls you may have bound after hitting the key?  That particular objective is a bit finicky: you have to hit your fighter's maximum speed before it registers as completed and lets you continue.  If you've accidentally moved your throttle (for instance) or adjusted your speed otherwise before you hit that maximum, you won't be able to get past it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I believe you have to maintain max for like a sec or two... mayhaps you're accidentally hitting the incremental decrease (5%, " - " key IIRC) after \

Offline hlhbk

Thanks for the assist, but nothing is working.  I made sure this past time I touched nothing but \ and it accelerated to 70 and I didn't touch anything else and I just keep flying away from the instructor.  I didn't even touch the mouse.  Any other ideas?

Offline Qent

Also do not mess with your ETS. Once in FS2 I shunted power to engines and it didn't register that I had hit max speed until I reset it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
ETS = Energy Transfer System.  Don't dump power to your engines.  Max speed for an Apollo is 65, not 70, that's how hlhbk knew.  ;)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
This problem was resolved on IRC.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Out of curiosity, what was the solution?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Selecting the FSPort campaign instead of the FS2 one.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
>_<
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Firartix

• Random Noob
It happened to me too  :blah:

When playing FS2 with FSPort, you get ship loading errors, and that problem.
Took me a while before i figure out FSPort was a mod so i had to select it in campaign room...

Should be explained somewhere in the FSPort post IMO, since some people (like me i guess) install FSO and start playing FSPort before playing FS2. So they don't know about the campaign room stuff.

EDIT: Actually i didn't see it's written on FSPort thread...
Gonna fix the wiki i found FreeSpace on then (downloaded FSPort through a direct link e_e')

Offline Snail

• SC 5
TBH though, it is a bit counter-intuitive. For a newbie, it would stand to reason that changing the mod would change the campaign as well. Obviously that's not how it works though.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Exactly how hard would it be to include a "default campaign to load" section in a mod.ini or somesuch and make FS2Open use that data?

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Exactly how hard would it be to include a "default campaign to load" section in a mod.ini or somesuch and make FS2Open use that data?

Actually that isn't a bad idea...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Selecting the FSPort campaign instead of the FS2 one.

Derp.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta