Author Topic: Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp  (Read 18362 times)

Re: Re-make of HUD elements for sparky_hi_fs1.vp
Beta test version here if anyone wants a go on it...

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
You mean, make a screenshot running at 1024x768. Everything else will be scaled and stretched.

Not necessarily, the problem with 16:9/16:10 is that the HUD is stretched out of proportion.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You pretty much restated what he just said.  He means that the only resolution on which the HUD is displayed actual size is 1024x768 (or 640x480 at low res).  In other resolutions, regardless of whether the aspect ratio is correct or not, it's still scaled.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I'm saying that rescaling isn't that important as long as it's the same aspect ratio. If the aspect ratio is different, then it's stretched out of proportion and the shape is screwed up.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:bump:

Wormslayer, do you have your files available? I would really like to put them in our repository but they aren't available for download anywhere.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Actually I meant the redrawn FS1-style HUD elements.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Uhm. Could have figured. "for sparky_hi_fs1.vp". Yeah. Hurrm.

Offline Tarvis

Sorry I've been gone. Let me get what I have together, though I have to admit it's just the crosshair, the lead indicator, and one side of the circle (Throttle meter)

I'll see if I can get anything more done before the final release also. I have the original .PSDs I did it with too, so if I can't, someone else can make one that matches.

I know, if anything, I'll be able to get the energy/afterburner guages done. Those look incredibly simple.

EDIT: Just got the right arc (weapon selection) done! All that's left is the top arc (target indicators) and the energy gauges (easy) and that'll be it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:31:07 pm by Tarvis »

Offline Tarvis

Bump! Got everything done except the side gauges. This HUD upgrade will be in the next FSPort release and has already been sent in.

Some pics attached.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:16:10 pm by Tarvis »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Very nice. :yes:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Does this fix the one-pixel-off problem you get when using widescreen resolutions?

Offline Tarvis

Does this fix the one-pixel-off problem you get when using widescreen resolutions?
It looks much better, but there are still a couple problem areas, and there's nothing I can do about that.

If I recall, FS2's HUD also has this problem.

The only real way to fix that would be to have widescreen resolutions not stretch the HUD, and that's not something I can do.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 04:26:28 pm by Tarvis »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
There's scripting in the works to address that. :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Awesome! :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]