Author Topic: Director's Cut bug/feature triage *READ MEEE*  (Read 6644 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Director's Cut bug/feature triage *READ MEEE*
Guys! Please play Blue Planet 1+2. Post everything you find broken and anything you think would make a neat, low-effort feature.

We're closing in on some kind of something, I hope, so get the requests in now. Spread the word: I know the community's pretty dead but let's light some fires and make this happen.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Re: Director's Cut bug/feature triage *READ MEEE*
I know of a few in the latest version I run into when I play, and two funny little facts I found while playing around in FRED;
  • The Kent can't fit the Scalpel on it's second bank despite (IIRC) that being the intention of the bank (is because the .tbl entry has the Kent's old 3-bank layout; the 3rd set is the intended one but it's ignored). I recall you guys were aware of it already way back so assume this one is fixed already.
  • I've noticed when your flying ships like the Kent and Izra'il with lots of animated flaps etc, they take hits to those flaps and they flash up on the subsystem panel, which can lead to an extremely long list. Going on the naming of the flap subsystems (td-deflector etc IIRC) I assumed them showing up wasn't intended. A little trick I used on my AI Vindicator involving an invulnerable armour entry and un-targetable subsystems would I think fix this without affecting the ship's normal damage but newer FSO features might also provide means.
  • On one occasion in 'Her Finest Hour' recently (while trying out new rig); If...
    Spoiler:
    its going bad enough (yeah it was [eternalshame]) to get the option of calling Toutatis in, the message telling you is repeated a lot (I assume to keep it on the screen)
    ...and from that point on the game seemed to get a bit choppy (not massively, but noticeably). Believe it was mainly the message as it was running like a dream up until that.
  • The Lapith has for some reason a massive subspace rift effect for it's size when jumping in and out. Wasn't sure if that was intended or not?
  • The player can't actually launch from a Narayana's fighterbays. AIs can but I find the player's fighter keeps colliding with the tube until it dies. Also notice fighters using the main bay of the Solaris will sometimes swan-dive into that front structure after their route.

Will play through a couple of more times when I can and if I run into anything else will post it up here. :yes:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:28:34 am by T-Man »
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Aspa

In the first mission the Leeuwenhoek got its engines damaged to 40-50%, this lowered its speed to the point where it took an extra 3-5 minutes with no dialog just waiting for it to drag itself to the gate.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In the first mission the Leeuwenhoek got its engines damaged to 40-50%, this lowered its speed to the point where it took an extra 3-5 minutes with no dialog just waiting for it to drag itself to the gate.

Interesting. They've been guardianed at 95 all along but the guardian doesn't seem to be working. It doesn't look like the <all engines> selection in FRED actually works...

Fixing now.

e: lol, there's another event breaking the guardian :lol: Truly I am among the greatest fredders on Earth
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:05:16 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The Kent can't fit the Scalpel on it's second bank despite (IIRC) that being the intention of the bank (is because the .tbl entry has the Kent's old 3-bank layout; the 3rd set is the intended one but it's ignored). I recall you guys were aware of it already way back so assume this one is fixed already.

Seems fixed.

I've noticed when your flying ships like the Kent and Izra'il with lots of animated flaps etc, they take hits to those flaps and they flash up on the subsystem panel, which can lead to an extremely long list. Going on the naming of the flap subsystems (td-deflector etc IIRC) I assumed them showing up wasn't intended. A little trick I used on my AI Vindicator involving an invulnerable armour entry and un-targetable subsystems would I think fix this without affecting the ship's normal damage but newer FSO features might also provide means.

Darius, do we have a fix for this in place?

On one occasion in 'Her Finest Hour' recently (while trying out new rig); If...
Spoiler:
its going bad enough (yeah it was [eternalshame]) to get the option of calling Toutatis in, the message telling you is repeated a lot (I assume to keep it on the screen)
...and from that point on the game seemed to get a bit choppy (not massively, but noticeably). Believe it was mainly the message as it was running like a dream up until that.

I'll stick this on action items.

The Lapith has for some reason a massive subspace rift effect for it's size when jumping in and out. Wasn't sure if that was intended or not?

Bouncing this to Darius.

The player can't actually launch from a Narayana's fighterbays. AIs can but I find the player's fighter keeps colliding with the tube until it dies. Also notice fighters using the main bay of the Solaris will sometimes swan-dive into that front structure after their route.

Probably a no-fix for this release.

Offline Darius

Kent et al subsystems seems like an easy fix.

Lapith hueg radius has been fixed (i think)

Narayana fighterbay has been retconned to a shuttlebay, and thus unable to carry fighters. The prefit version can (which is why the masyaf is a prefit narayana)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:51:55 pm by Darius »

Offline QuakeIV

• test
In the darkest hour I think it was, remember when the diomedes corvette fails to bring its beams to bear properly and gets murdered by the indus?

I think in a conversation somewhere it was mentioned that durability was added to its engines so they wouldnt be destroyed quickly, how about take that away so they get blown out quickly and its fate makes sense?  I would personally love to see that.  Perhaps throw in an intercepted line with their captain going 'oh ****!'

In Aristeia, the Medea(?) fails to destroy both cruisers on its own, something it did fine with the old Diomedes model, IIRC.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
In Aristeia, the Medea(?) fails to destroy both cruisers on its own, something it did fine with the old Diomedes model, IIRC.

I actually completely rebuilt the Medea's behavior in that mission. It should murder more reliably now and on higher difficulties it will do entirely new stuff.

Offline Aspa

Just finished Blue Planet 1 for the third time, still blown away  :D
Noticed that some of the briefing screens (with the ship icons) seemed to be zoomed in too much - some of the ship icons disappeared off the edge.
The slammer is missing from the tech room.

Offline Rabid

Tech Library missing some FS2 Vasudan fighters, missing Shivan fighters. This may not be relevant.

I did enjoy the updated descriptions of the old FS/FS2 fighters that are in the tech library.
I feel it adds depth/perspective that the entries were updated, it shows how the GTA feels about the aging of their designs and the scale of their upgrades.

For instance, in the BP2 tech library, something about the GTB Medusa's entry read "Pilots considered the Medusa an ineffective deathtrap" and I found that amusing.
The FS1 entry for the Medusa was probably more favorable, but time has taken its toll.

I've always loved the readiness of BP's techroom to acknowledge that a ship or weapon is a useless piece of ****, even if it goes on to add more nuance.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Rabid

BP2 Techroom is lacking an entry for Admiral Netreba. Calder, Byrne, Steele, and I think Severanti all have entries, so lacking Netreba seems out of place.

Also I was hoping to see something about MORPHEUS, I've pieced together from no-central-source that its some GTVA Anti-Shivan, Anti-Vishnan device of epic scale, but I've really only seen a reference -to- it in the techroom under the Vishnans entries. It seemed to suggest the discovery of the Vishnans and the goals they appear to have triggered the go-ahead for MORPHEUS

Edit:
Forgot to mention that the Tech library only features the Durga among the UEBs.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Noticed that some of the briefing screens (with the ship icons) seemed to be zoomed in too much - some of the ship icons disappeared off the edge.
This is actually the fault of the SCP fixing a longstanding bug that was causing retail briefings to have the wrong aspect ratio, but yes, it does screw with most already-released mods.

It should already be fixed for the Director's Cut; in the meantime, you can stick the attached briefing_fix-mod.tbm file in your \blueplanet\data\tables\ folder (creating those subfolders if they don't exist) (you could also put it in \blueplanet2\data\tables\, but WiH requires AoA so there's no real reason not to put it in the AoA folder).

Alternatively, you can just create the file yourself, since it's a simple text file with these lines:
Code: [Select]
#GRAPHICS SETTINGS

$Briefing Window FOV: 0.5

#END

[attachment deleted by nobody]
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

i get the feeling this'll probably end up a wasted post since it'll probably either a: still be a huge point of confusion on what's going on or b: already fixed and i just missed the patch, but i've still got choppiness on her finest hour, usually towards the latter half of the mission

Offline Aspa

Some issues with Eyes in the Storm:
Seems my wingmen refuses to fire more than one shot.
One of the transports in the second wave docked, I jumped out after the abort mission message, got the fail debriefing... and could continue to the next mission without restarting.

Can we maybe get a HUD that adjusts correctly to your monitor's resolution and aspect ratio? Would be very awesome.

By the way: I ****ing love Blue Planet! Thank you and the team for everything!

• On one occasion in 'Her Finest Hour' recently (while trying out new rig); If...
    Spoiler:

I've noticed this one too, regardless of how well I'm doing.  The framerate will hitch every few seconds, reducing my overall framerate from 60 to ~45.  It never gets to the point where it's unplayable, just a bit annoying.  My PC is quite good, (16gb RAM, GTX 970, i5 3570k), so I doubt it's that causing it.  It does seem to get more noticeable after a few retries though.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 06:25:52 pm by Riverstyx »

This is for both BP 1 and 2, right? Not really a bug but the Vishan fighters could really use self-repairing subsystems as you can't call in a support ship and being disabled while hoping your wingmates can solo the mission isn't very fun.

There's also the relatively known bug in The Great Presevers where the Moloch will fly out of range of the Arbiters if they miss a few shots and you'll be unable to kill it. Maybe an objective to disable it after taking out the beams would help, or maybe the Keeper could show up if it's both disarmed and disabled(it's nice to instantly know that you're screwed instead of hoping those arbiters might turn and attack it eventually).
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Vishnan fighters have got subsystem repair now, yep. I'll fix the Great Preservers bug (or just make them fire-beam a lot, lulol).