Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211105 times)

Offline Zarax

Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Well, since it seems we have to play a business game...
What about seriously looking for other developers?
If one (albeit not highly reputed) has seen value in the brand others would...
Just let's avoid EA and Strategy First...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by aldo_14

As for the mods, of course they HAVE NO RIGHT to exist and cut from the copyright holders profits. No business would succeed that way.

He actually said that our mods have no right to exist? How in the hell does this guy maintain any kind of support for his games? Minimal as it is, it does exist, though god only knows how.

And reading some of these links, it seems people are laughing at him putting atmospheric missions in... err... :nervous:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 05:13:50 am by 302 »
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wait a sec some of the blue's news guys have some evedence that this isn't real.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Black Wolf

He actually said that our mods have no right to exist? How in the hell does this guy maintain any kind of support for his games? Minimal as it is, it does exist, though god only knows how.

He doesn't.  Apparently, he bans people from his forum who post a technical problem without having their system specs as their signature.... he appears to have a deep loathing & contempt for any customer who doesn't bow down & worship him.

I get the distinct impression that he only makes games for himself - i.e. he doesn't really care if people like his games, so long as he gets the money to do so.  Certainly he takes a highly unprofessional attitude towards customer support, and frequently stoops to the lowest common denominator.

I mean, i was trying to be polite & soforth on the AV thread and this one, but you saw the response that got.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Bobboau
wait a sec some of the blue's news guys have some evedence that this isn't real.

?

explain

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Quoting Hollowguy here:
    Real Name Derek Smart [3000AD]
Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request.
ICQ 158435
Description None given.
Homepage http://www.3000ad.com
Signed On Jul 14 2004, 03:42
Total Posts 3 (Bearcub)

He posted here a few days ago as DSmart...why would he need a new name? (other than he forgot the login information - considering he's defending himself on 12,000 game sites currently)

Really doesn't matter though...deserves whatever comes his way. Maybe he hired one of his ignorant suckers fans to fight for his honor since he has his hands full elsewhere. (Elsewhere being his forum where he has a full time job in belittling customers)

Wondering if Ray has this sign off copywritten,

HG

Linkie: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=50097&boardid=1&id=&view=flatnew&start=20
Edit: Someone want to throw out links to HLP/SCP/buy-the-rights funds and whatnot?
-C

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah but according to Styxx's earlier post the e-mail address he gave is actually one at 3000ad.com
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Quoting Hollowguy here:

Linkie: http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=50097&boardid=1&id=&view=flatnew&start=20
Edit: Someone want to throw out links to HLP/SCP/buy-the-rights funds and whatnot?

I dunno - but he's posted on his own forum http://www.3000ad.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000352

(view at own peril)

Offline WMCoolmon

Well that's the big piece of evidence the guy gave.

While my mind is chugging away, if that were the case, couldn't this guy be sued for identity theft?

That'd be incredibly ironic....
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, given Mr. Smarts ramapant egotism, I suspect he wanted everyone to see the glory of his full name.  Either that, or he didn't want to look an idiot after declaring he would never visit the forums again (under the name dsmart).

Of course, if it is him at Blues News, it also means he's given his ICQ number....... which is pretty much asking for trouble.

Offline WMCoolmon

Always wanted to know why they blew up a star...*Hint* *Hint*

It just makes me sad to see people writing stuff like this, because if they put their mind to it they could make a mod and make up their own answer.
-C

Offline Cabbie

I hope that Mr. Smart would give up on the idea of developing FS3  just for the sole basis that it will save him a lot of grief in the end...

whatever happens, this will be going down in the history of gaming...in flames :(

Interesting read, cost me one and a half hours at least....

Seriously, wait and see for now. I'll donate to a fund to buy the rights. Someone who is of legal age in the states (makes signing docs a ****lot easier) should contact :I: for a pricequote. Then we'll see.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Zarax

We cannot seriously think of beating him on a money game, it's useless...
Spend money and energy towards finding a better developer and you'll get some results..
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
You know what this proves?

We need to pimp the scp more.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Zarax

I'm sure we all agree on that ;)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Originally posted by 01010
Heh, tell Something Awful...

Already posted. The reflections are... well, goonish. You know how passionate SA readers are of their favourite games.

I actually came into this thread with sole purpose of posting DEREK SMART over and over until he would appear, but that arrogant abortion of a man is apparently just googling himself instead of trying to focus how to make games and not drink gallons of pus-mixed gorilla semen. I ****ing hate that little piece of ****.

He has no idea that his games are crappy. His ego is roughly of the size of Hinderburg and as easily inflammable. He can not admit that he might make a mistake. He pays no attention to people WHO ACTUALLY ARE THE ONE TO PLAY THE GAME, good ****ing riddance.

DEREK SMART, PH.D: "You don't know how games are made and sold, therefore you can't just appreciate the game."
Gamer: "Hey dude, I can't even play your game, it crashes."
DEREK SMART DEREK SMART DEREK SMART: "You are such a little sniveling piece of ****."
Gamer: "Uh, what's your problem? I kinda wanted to play a good game, and so long all I've seen has been donkeys buggering each other when the game happens not to crash in 5 seconds. Oh, and how do I invert mouse?."
THE REAL DEREK SMART: "Go **** yourself. BANNED"
note the text in the badge.
:hopping:

[/end rant, which was of course just me. ME. I don't even work with SCP and only thing I do round here is post some retarded MS Paints. DEREK SMART, don't use me as an example how rotten we are. :( ]
Seriously, though, this is bad news. Thank god he won't bastardize the universes, but geez. FS is about dogfights, not controlling GTD DEREK SMART Aquitane II [object error].
« Last Edit: July 16, 2004, 06:09:05 am by 1621 »
lol wtf

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
That picture worries me (and screams buggery), take it away :nervous:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
Originally posted by vyper
That picture worries me (and screams buggery), take it away :nervous:

BUT I LOVE YOU
lol wtf

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by vyper
You know what this proves?

We need to pimp the scp more.

Yes. what surprises me are that their are so many other fansites out there that we haven't (well, at least that some of us havent) heard of.

We need to spread out more and assimiliate. ;7 :drevil:
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(