Author Topic: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)  (Read 84297 times)

Re: Solaris (A FreeSpace Open Total Conversion)
Getting crashes in Solaris Act 1.  Seems to be a headani issue, judging by the log.  Had a crash happen in Mission 3 and now in mission 5 when dialogue pops up.
Log: https://fsnebula.org/log/616e1dbffdbe4f6b232001ce
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Darius

What happens if you use stable 21.4.0?

https://fsnebula.org/log/616e311c667b4d76932001cd
Several missing sound errors popped up.  Was able to complete the mission, however.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Playing through the remixed Act 1, I can definitely tell there's been some rebalancing. Enemy fighters are still hard to get a lock on, but if you get a solid gun burst on them, they actually will die in short order. There seem to be more ship types and variants as well.

Just saw a fairly large update for this mod (or at least my Knososs says theres an update!), is this Act 2 related or addiitonal work to Act 1  :)

Offline Darius

It's mostly bug fixing (adding on some UI fixes for the commmand briefing that were accidentally reverted, trying to fix strange AI behaviour in act 1 missions) but I've included a default control scheme for new pilots based on a traditional wasd fps key layout. Unfortunately this has the unintended effect of messing up the control tutorials in the first mission so I'll have to fix that with another update tomorrow.

Also mission 5 Post Tenebrus got some tweaks to the difficulty and timings. Difficulty may increase as a result, the challenge of keeping the Artemis alive had disappeared with the changes to striker weapons.

Act 2 has already been out for a while! Go through and play it if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 09:56:21 am by Darius »

Oh fantastic! I didn't realise it was already out, been waiting for an announcement of some kind  :D

Offline Darius

Make your way to the Solaris 2: Banjos in Space release post, which can be found HERE  :yes:

Offline Jackho

• Gnoti seauton ...
    • Downloads an al
Hi there!
Wanted to try a new freespace mod during my one day holiday today. Launched my dice, got 13 and picked Solaris. Wow this thing seems really great work! Everything has been entirely redesigned almost from ground up. I liked the new presentation and detailed ships on briefing screens. Then I put my suit on and went to fly.
First impression was so much shocking, I said "What? why would people want a chasing camera feel like a space flying simulation view? I don't buy it, I'm out of this". I pressed escape and got back in my good ol' cockpit. This was better so I went on playing, much more immersive to me like this.
I play on "trained" difficulty level. Even after tweaking commands to my liking I was hardly able to finish couple first missions, not because it was hard (well it is in some ways) but I found something very painful : AIMING
Jeez! these fighters are moving like mosquitos flying around full of acid! and you always end up chasing a red dot at kilometers far from it's targeted ship, and you must get them down in no time. That's what i call difficult. You guys should have mercy on our joysticks.
Nevertheless Freespace is a so much enjoying game that I think this mod deserves to be tried harder, I'll look for a moving-less spot and see if I can do it. Not telling about graphics because everyone will agree they are still awesome, you guys are doing a really great job, outstanding "Bravo"!
« Last Edit: December 13, 2021, 06:53:34 am by Jackho »
A+
Jack H. : "Well... There's much more to check than six..."

Offline Darius

Hello! I'm very glad you're enjoying it.

Mosquitoes on acid is a good description for how these fighters move. Don't be afraid to lower the difficulty down to "Rookie" difficulty if aiming is painful to your joystick hand - the only difference is the aiming assistance is a bit more generous, you the player have a bit more health and slightly less enemies and turrets will be targeting you. The enemies still fly and behave the same in a fight, so don't feel that you lose some of the experience on lower difficulties  :yes:

I've noticed that with Solaris especially, it pays to not get locked into a rate fight with super agile fighters. If I'm spending more than 20s on a fighter, I'll afterburn away from it, and reengage to either go head on, or try to catch it while it's going after another target.

Tried playing Solaris for the first time, but I keep getting lua error popups. They say things like:

Code: [Select]
LUA ERROR: [string "deathPart-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:7: attempt to call global 'include' (a nil value)

------------------------------------------------------------------

stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'include'
[string "deathPart-sct.tbm - On Game Init"]:7: in main chunk

Offline Darius

Are you able to generate a debug log with Knossos?

What build are you using? Is this using Windows or Linux?

This is Linux. I tried updating my system and now Knossos is broken, so I need to fix that first , then I'll get back to you on the other questions :banghead:

Offline Darius

It sounds like you've got a known script load order issue with Linux. It apparently got patched in the nightlies, once you get Knossos working see how it runs with a recent build.

@Darius: Here's my debug log: https://fsnebula.org/log/61cbdc19b0382161d32001f6

I'm on 2.0.8. Is there a way to make Knossos fetch a more recent build than that?

Offline Darius

Make sure your build preferences are set to Nightlies.

Go to the settings icon in the top right of Knossos.

Once there go to the Knossos section and in Preferred Engine Stability choose Nightlies. Then click Save.

Then go to Explore and go to FSO. Hover over the banner and click Details.

Click the dropdown and choose a recent nightly build. Then click the Install button.

Then with luck you should be good to launch Solaris with that build  :yes:

Thank you so much for your detailed instructions (with screenshots!) I did exactly as you suggested, and everything is working great!

I'm glad I didn't give up on Solaris, because it is amazing. Very grateful to you for helping me get it working!

Sorry to keep popping up here, but I've encountered another problem:

Code: [Select]
Model cockpit.pof has a null moment of inertia!  (This is only a problem if the model is a ship.)
Submodel 'Spaceship_HUDs-B' is detail level 1 of 'Spaceship_HUDs-A'
WARNING: "Error in mission event: "heavy turrets online": Ambiguous event name (more than one event with the same name).

In sexpression: ( when
   ( is-event-true-delay
      "heavy turrets online"
   )
   ( send-message
      "Uriel"
      "Normal"
      "heavy turrets online"
   )
)

(Bad node appears to be: heavy turrets online)
" at missionparse.cpp:6150
Frame  0 too long!!: frametime = 16.206 (16.206)
Received post for event GS_EVENT_MAIN_MENU during state transtition. Find Allender if you are unsure if this is bad.

Full log: https://fsnebula.org/log/61ccc476b0382161d32001f9

I'm running on nightly builds, so perhaps something changed recently to destablize this mission?

Offline Darius

No, it looks liks Solaris breaks on recent nightlies whenever there's a duplicate event name. I'll have to go through each mission to check for this, and then put an update out before you'll be able to continue. Sorry about that   :sigh:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 09:23:47 pm by Darius »