Modding, Mission Design, and Coding > The Modding Workshop

nukemod sources dump [ancient]

<< < (3/3)

Colonol Dekker:
Hi Nuke *moderator brofistbump*

Nightmare:

--- Quote from: Nightmare on July 03, 2019, 04:15:41 am ---I'll take a look at it~

--- End quote ---

Done. As chief-archivist of this site I DLed it and looked through it. It took me forever to get through everything. Stuff I remember is:

-I updated a number of the NukeMod files in my archives with the sources as the DDS/TGA files suffered from compression artifacts, also some files but I cant really tell anymore what was replaced. As I haven't re-released my Effects/ShipsDB the updated versions are only on my HDD atm.

-Perhabs I can find a home for the Mars-landscape thing which is IIRC the highest detailed landscape model in POF format but thats a maybe at this point.

-I think most of the LUA scripts are broken due to script decay that has a number of them die everytime something in the engine is changed (admitted, I havent tested them bc it took me already that long to get through with the other files, but they're 2009/10ish so it's highly unlikely they still work). It's extreme unfortunate that they were never released or better, hardcoded into the engine in the first place. A number of the features look pretty amazing and in retrospective if they had been put into FSO or just made public at that point (and maintained by somebody else) I think a number of campaigns would've used them.

Nuke:
the mars terrain thing was just slapped together with some heightmaps downloaded from some nasa repo (they may have been updated with better data since then as there has been a number of mars robots). i wanted to come up with some scripts to convert the entire planet to pof tiles. but my physics engine suffered the wiggles and it wouldn't have served any actual use under the freespace engine. figured id be better off doing that in my own game engine, which frankly i haven't worked on since kerbal came out (i messed around with collision detection algorithms a couple years ago).

those scrips probibly dont work unless you find a really old build. most of the experimental stuff ran on vanilla to try and minimize mod conflicts. many of those were features that would have become part of nukemod eventually had i continued working on it. you might have an archive of old builds somewhere. my freespace folder still exists in my data partition. i was going to put it in a 7-zip for long term storage and inevitable bit rot, but i recently found myself with four terabytes of nvme storage and didnt bother. anyway i have scp versions 3.6.13, 3.6.14, 3.6.15 and 3.7.0 in there, so they might work with some of those. i know various mod teams asked for bits and pieces over the years. whether or not they found a way to maintain those, i dont know.

i dont think there was any hope of nukemod ever coming out. it was way too ambitious and the mod team (aka the voices in my head) was very unreliable. they kept getting into arguments about how much brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt the mod should have in it and whether or not i should include more kitten pictures. and they all like weed except for the one who likes uppers, we dont let him out anymore since the incident with the 8-ball. not to mention there were some major holes in my skillset. i was never very good at fred, or character modeling, or writing, or sourcing amphetamines.

--- Quote from: Colonol Dekker on May 09, 2022, 05:58:17 am ---Hi Nuke *moderator brofistbump*

--- End quote ---

howdy again. still hanging around this neck of the woods. i mostly stay off the internet these days. somehow despite all the voices in my head, spirits in my blood stream and thc in my lungs, the world still managed to out-crazy me. i was never good at reaching life goals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version