Author Topic: Model and Normal Maps Status  (Read 143696 times)

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Re: The Big Normal Maps Thread
QFT. The Typhon is, and will always be, an ugly ship IMHO. It doesn't look Vasudan to me.
'Vasudan' meaning what, here? Phalluses with tan-coloured plating?

To be honest I think it looks far more Vasudan than most of their other capitals. It's not pretty (well, wasn't pretty - those are some great normal maps), but it's identifiably alien in ways the Hatshepsut and Sobek are not.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
You haven't played FS1, have you?
No. I admit. :(
Judging from the Wiki, it's a Vasudan transport. The colour makes it look like a Bast? (Never heard of that ship before. Hey, it's unarmed! So there ARE unarmed ships in FS!)

I don't recall the Typhon ever looking THAT bad in terms of shape. However, the plating now looks awesome.
QFT. The Typhon is, and will always be, an ugly ship IMHO. It doesn't look Vasudan to me.

The Typhon looks Vasudan to me the Hatshepsut does not.

Vasudan, for me, will always be brown and blue, none of this tan and gold stuff.

But times obviously change, just look at the Orion and the Hecate.

Only the Shivans remain pretty much the same between the two games, and they have a purple freighter

The Shivans went from freakish mechanical horrors like the Scorpion to...flying space bugs.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

You haven't played FS1, have you?
No. I admit. :(
Judging from the Wiki, it's a Vasudan transport. The colour makes it look like a Bast? (Never heard of that ship before. Hey, it's unarmed! So there ARE unarmed ships in FS!)

I don't recall the Typhon ever looking THAT bad in terms of shape. However, the plating now looks awesome.

The Typhon looks Vasudan to me the Hatshepsut does not.

Vasudan, for me, will always be brown and blue, none of this tan and gold stuff.

But times obviously change, just look at the Orion and the Hecate.

Only the Shivans remain pretty much the same between the two games, and they have a purple freighter
Guess you're right. To me, Vasudan means Hattie-style. Probably because it's the first Vasudan ship I ever saw (except for the Satis).

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
The Shivans went from freakish mechanical horrors like the Scorpion to...flying space bugs.
To be fair, the Scorpion is the only one that actually looked like a freakish mechanical horror. All the others are more or less symmetrical.

But I don't mind the space bugs, myself. I think both design styles have their merits. Had FS1 pushed more in the direction of the mismatched style of the Scorpion, maybe I'd think different, but it didn't.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
To be fair, the Scorpion is the only one that actually looked like a freakish mechanical horror. All the others are more or less symmetrical.

Well there was the Shaitan, too. But that looked more like a computer chip.

But I don't mind the space bugs, myself. I think both design styles have their merits. Had FS1 pushed more in the direction of the mismatched style of the Scorpion, maybe I'd think different, but it didn't.

IMO, the Space bugs just weren't scary. I mean, stuff warping in a blowing up your ships (and doing it twice) wasn't really that scary. But in FS1, having these random things flying around half-invisible and unkillable blowing up Terrans and Vasudans alike, that was terrifying.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

I think the Basilisk, Manticore, and Dragon are far more threatening in appearance than the Aeshma, Astaroth, and Mara.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
The Aeshma looks retarded.
The Mara and the Astaroth look alright...albiet bug-like.

Oh wow off topic
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I actually really like the Mara. But yes, the Aeshma's a mess.

I've never found the Shivan fighters particularly 'threatening' to begin with, though. I think the problem with FS2's Shivans has far more to do with their behaviour than their appearance.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Aeshma looks retarded.
The Mara and the Astaroth look alright...albiet bug-like.
Another reason why I hate the FS2 Shivans is because of their textures. In FS1, practically all ships had high-resolution textures. In FS2, the some of the textures were like, half the size of their FS1 counterparts.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Aeshmas look retarded, and behave in a similar fashion  :lol:
--

Another reason why I hate the FS2 Shivans is because of their textures. In FS1, practically all ships had high-resolution textures. In FS2, the some of the textures were like, half the size of their FS1 counterparts.

O_o Really?
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Aeshmas look retarded, and behave in a similar fashion  :lol:
QFT. However, they are good at destroying GTD Duke. Which mainly involves flying in a straight line and firing fire-and-forget missiles.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
There was no GTD Duke.

You're talking about the GTC Duke, and it was Basilisks, not Aeshmas.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
No, the mission where all the ships escape (or not, I haven't completed it) through the Knossos.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
No, the mission where all the ships escape (or not, I haven't completed it) through the Knossos.

It was still GTC Duke. And if you couldn't keep Aeshmas from firing at the Duke... you really gotta work on your skills. :P
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I was by the Rakshasa's, and I hit my burners and max out engines towards the Aeshmas. I can get there and destroy two or three before they fire. Besides, that isn't where I am stuck. I'm not really stuck. I hit the wrong beams on the Abel, and bye-bye Temeraire. I just took a break after that.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I've put a lot of work into a new Status thread. Go and check it out.

Meanwhile let's see if I can break down this thread into multiple discussions...
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...