Author Topic: Nexus 2 on Kickstarter (finally)  (Read 7606 times)

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Re: Nexus 2 on Kickstarter (finally)
 I think the problem is that they are essentially asking for the money to use Unreal Engine 3, which causes concerns, specially on moddability, which is what has kept the first game alive since it's release in 2004.

Thing is they'd have to develop an entirely new engine for the game if they don't get a licence, the original Black Sun engine was seized by the Hungarian government after a lawsuit that quickly devolved into an extremely complicated legal limbo.

The old engine's ownership papers are probably is some box stuck on a warehouse somewhere in Magyarland never to be found or used again, a bloody shame for all. :(

Stupid lawyers.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
I think the problem is that they are essentially asking for the money to use Unreal Engine 3, which causes concerns, specially on moddability, which is what has kept the first game alive since it's release in 2004.

Thing is they'd have to develop an entirely new engine for the game if they don't get a licence, the original Black Sun engine was seized by the Hungarian government after a lawsuit that quickly devolved into an extremely complicated legal limbo.

The old engine's ownership papers are probably is some box stuck on a warehouse somewhere in Magyarland never to be found or used again, a bloody shame for all. :(

Stupid lawyers.

Dammit Hungary! I blame Viktor Orbán, just because.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
I simply think their viral video was not good. They do not have a name like Tim Schaefer or a track record like Obsidian, thus their marketing had to sell it.
And the video was crap.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
To add to that, and not that I'm looking in too many relevant places anyway, but I've seen little to no general press about their Kickstarter out there.  I don't know that Nexus is necessarily a recognizable title in the general gaming populace, so if they wanted this to succeed, they really had to get the word out a lot better than they have so far.

Offline An4ximandros

HOLY **** THERE IS HOPE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HajPrUnpAFI&feature=g-u-u

Edit: interview with Total Biscuit, explains many of the things that happened behind the scenes as well as what happened to the original Nexus 2 Engine.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 08:51:11 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I'll be honest, that interview didn't really got across what made Nexus a cool game. They talk about the plot and the dialouges as selling points... and well, I think we all agree here that is not the reason why you would recommend Nexus to anyone.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Such a shame, that this project is not gonna make it (again). I don't get it, I would be so happy to play something like the original game again :(
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Star Citizen, while it came along later, with all it's show and spectacle is probably not helping by drawing away potential contributors, or at least some of the cash they might have put aside for nexus 2
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Certainly one reason, and most people will certainly have to decide WHERE to spend their money. On the other hand, technically boths games are not really comparable, since Star Citizen is more like Freelancer and WingCommander, while Nexus would go more into the direction of Homeworld or, well, Nexus :) I liked the ship designs on Nexus 2, would be great to see them in a game...

But since they have just around 20% collected, it will be a nogo.
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline An4ximandros

They said if the Kickstarter fails they'll keep looking for other ways to get funding, they aren't giving up on a Nexus 2 anytime soon.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yes well, what except bank robbery will be open as a solution then ?  :nervous: ;)
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Are projects allowed to do a second kickstarter if the first one doesn't work? I think Nexus 2 could make it if they were better prepared.

This time, all they had produced is some concept art and an old concept trailer; it's no wonder it failed. If they could produce some assets and actually get something working before making a kickstarter, they would fare better next time. Also, they'd need to go after more press and publicity too.

Offline An4ximandros

Can I retry my project if funding is unsuccessful?
 Yes. You can always try again with a new goal, whenever you're ready. You’ll need to set your project up from scratch, but it can be essentially identical if you choose.

We should really get involved with the developers, if they truly want to see this project through what they need is to talk with the fans of Nexus and get some gameplay done, at least a CGI trailer showcasing what the game will play like as closely as possible to the real thing. That might get much more attention than the (awe inspiring) concept art would alone.

There is also a ton of things more that could be done or done in a better way, the interviews started to happen way too late and there were only two of them!