Author Topic: RELEASE: Teeth of the Tiger, Intro  (Read 20242 times)

Re: RELEASE: Teeth of the Tiger, Intro
Quote from: spoiler
non-shivan looking. I suggest you go back to red. Looks a whole lot better that way. Shivans are RED AND BLACK with perhaps A BIT OF GREEN. NO PURPLE.

Well...

Normal thrusters were red, burners were purpleish when we were thinking about the color issue.
Spoiler:
Think of the Lamia as Shivans on afterburners.

@mr.WHO, try re downloading the campaign... If it still doesn't work, I'll post a version where the <spoiler> is beam free'd.

@Snail- just edit the mission to have special HP, say 150 000.[/color]
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Good
Spoiler:
Overall, the GTVA comes off as remarkably competent compared to many campaigns; take for example and the deployment of ships in the second mission, particularly the Aeolus snuggling up to the Orion for extra fire support. They also sound reasonably professional in briefings, reinforcements are available to assist when things go bad, they have a backup plan, etc. The FREDding is high quality, overall. Use of what I assume was special hitpoints was well-played.

The Bad
Spoiler:
Infatuation with default gun loadouts and giving the NPC pilots banks of trebs they don't know how to use properly, is a no-no. Similarly, there was no AWOL debriefing for the second mission, and probably the others; however I know there was no AWOL debriefing for the second because I tried to skip it via repeated warpouts at the start.

The intel files were not updated, nor was the ships available in the techroom. A lot of campaigns do this, and it's always stupid and annoying.

The writing was decent, but could have used more editing. I also noticed at least one major violation of the FS canon, in that it takes an Orion's worth of meson bombs to collapse a node, not a single one!

The Ugly
Spoiler:
Referencing Another One Bites The Dust is silly. It's 2300-something. I doubt there's even a surviving recording. The in-mission dialogue was frequently awkward and occasionally non-sequitor. And the Lamia looks like an Ancients ship now, not Shivan...and yes, it is literally ugly.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree myself about the Lamia... The writing was a bit corny at times, and yeah, it could've been fixed, but would you rather have waited an extra month?

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
I don't think you would have needed an extra month to fix that.

For NGTM-1R:

I was the only person with the mission 2 bug (at least noone else observed it when I reported it and asked for everyone to check), so we figured out the problem is on my side, not on the mod's. If you check FRED, the SEXP's and debrief are there. If you find a fix for it, we'll be thankfull.

As for Trebs:
"$Flags:   ( "player allowed" "Bomber+")"
That's our custom line in the Trebuchet's entry, and it fixes the AI, because the Huge flag made the Trebuchet a bomb in the AI's eyes, and even the AI isn't dumb enough to shoot bombers with bombs.

Watch closely and you'll see the NPC's do use these missiles. It's easiest to observe when you arm them with swarm missiles and Trebs, and watch for one or 2 missiles being fired. I think the AI will limit their use to bombers though, but I'd have to do more testing to check that.

As for the ugly- a lot of people today know Bach, Mozart or Vivaldi (all from 3 centuries ago)... Who knows if Queen won't be known as Classical 20-th Century music?

And we might do something about the Lamia, since it's so unpopular in purple (and since the purple A-burners disappeared from the 3.6.10 mediavps I'd assume they weren't popular either).

And the tech database- mea culpa, it'll be fixed.

Anyways- thanks for the feedback.

P.S. As for the dialogs- we've had sometimes 3 people work on one mission, so that's why they seem cheezy from time to time. We'll get better as the next release won't be my first.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 05:54:54 pm by BengalTiger »

Offline eliex

Yay a release! Downloading now!  :D

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ohhh, nice! Also downloading it now. :)

Spoiler:
there's no official data regarding any of the new ships until the first mission of ch1.  :D so no tech updates. And please be patient with the lamia. all will be revealed.
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
Why has nobody replied to my higher shivan lower shivan idea?

Spoiler:
@ Snail- you were right about the higher and lower Shivans, but not completely. Just check the super secret furm.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Spoiler:
@ Snail- you were right about the higher and lower Shivans, but not completely. Just check the super secret furm.
Spoiler:
Then I guess my speculating days for TotT are over. On to the truth.

Spoiler:
;)

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Shoot! You had to release it when I don't have FreeSpace?! Ah well, no problem... yeah... I've been just waiting forever...

foch ^^
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's only the first three missions. ;)

Spoiler:
SWEET MOTHER OF GOD my luck is getting worse! Something like 2 dozen ships to kill with its subspace weapon and the Lamia just decides that it has to hit something behind me. :(
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 12:13:35 pm by Snail »

The Ugly
Spoiler:
Referencing Another One Bites The Dust is silly. It's 2300-something. I doubt there's even a surviving recording.
What makes you think that?  We have extant examples of music from over 900 years ago still in existence and played today.  A mere 300 year span isn't going to wipe out all references to a song by itself. 
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What makes you think that?  We have extant examples of music from over 900 years ago still in existence and played today.  A mere 300 year span isn't going to wipe out all references to a song by itself. 

There weren't all that many people composing 900 years ago, where there now? How many people do you suppose never even make it to the surface these days? It's very much easier to get buried in the outflow now, and 300 years from now it will be exponentionally easier yet.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Still no one found the easter egg? :(

There weren't all that many people composing 900 years ago, where there now? How many people do you suppose never even make it to the surface these days? It's very much easier to get buried in the outflow now, and 300 years from now it will be exponentionally easier yet.
Yeah, but the song in question did make it to the surface, and the fact that we have actual recordings rather than music passed down through generations of musicians (which is how music as old as the High Middle Ages still exists; music notation wasn't used in Europe until the 9th century, and then only for Gregorian chant, with modern musical notation not coming into widespread use until the Renaissance) make preserving the music far easier. 

Besides, this is hardly unique to this mod; in the original Halo, Sergeant Johnson was making his squad listen to classic rock in their Pelican in one of the cutscenes.   :lol:
"Courage is the complement of fear.  A fearless man cannot be courageous.  He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Still no one found the easter egg? :(
Nope. :D

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
I'm telling ya, look in the general vicinity of the freighters.  It's a small detail, but it's part of something you wouldn't even question being there.