Author Topic: FUUUUUUUU--* (Or unfair pricing in video games)  (Read 4292 times)

FUUUUUUUU--* (Or unfair pricing in video games)
Basically, This. It has happened before, it will happen again, but why are games released in Europe always soo much more expensive?

Offline Shade

Re: FUUUUUUUU--* (Or unfair pricing in video games)
Because people still buy them.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Because Europeans are so much wealthier.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Ah and I just bought Portal 2 and the Potato Sack too. 20 euro 'tax' I guess. Oh well, given how many games i got for 75% off last Christmas sale..
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Kszyhu

You can buy it in Poland for about 33 euros :D (not by Steam, of course).

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I paid $3 US for Portal 2 after some wheeling and dealing.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Kolgena

Doesn't it kind of make sense, since prices are based on the number on the salary and not relative value? It's a bit like someone from China coming to US, and complaining that the stuff is waaay overpriced when you're using Yuan as the reference. Sure, that burger is 5 bucks (equiv 35 yuan) in the US and 15 yuan in China, but your Chinese purchasing power in China isn't drastically different from purchasing power of the dollar in the US. Instant noodles are 50 cents in America, and like 1 yuan in China.

Edit: made it sensical this time.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 05:28:35 pm by Kolgena »

Offline Topgun

Doesn't it kind of make sense, since prices are based on the number on the salary and not relative value? It's a bit like someone from China coming to US, and complaining that the stuff is waaay overpriced when you're using Yuan as the reference. Sure, that burger is 5 bucks (equiv 35 yuan) in the US and 15 yuan in China, but your Chinese purchasing power in China isn't drastically different from purchasing power in the US.

Edit: made it sensical this time.

Except it doesn't. It shouldn't cost valve anymore to digitally distribute a game to Europe than it does to the US.

This is just greed and exploitation. It might no be valve's fault, it might have to do with europe's laws, idk, but if things were fair it would cost the same.

Offline Kolgena

I think it's reasonable for Valve to do that. If the expected pricing for new releases is set at something, then undercutting everyone else just because you can doesn't make a lot of sense. It wouldn't be fair to the EU game developers who built games in Europe, and have higher operating costs than a game studio in America because of the exchange rate.

That, and free money. You'd be a seriously retarded CEO to turn that away, when the alternative also involves pissing off other game developing companies.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Ah VAT at it's finest.  Ripping people off because the "leaders" want more moneys.  If you dig down, I believe that almost everything that is ridiculously over-priced in Euro-land is because of some tax or another.  Thank your politicians the next time they let you vote.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Try to stay away from politics Liberator, this kind of post is exactly what got you banned from Gen. Disc.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
At least it's pertinent and mostly accurate.  ;)

Seriously though, it's screwed up that it should be more expensive in digital distribution.  It should be the same price after the currency conversion.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

At least it's pertinent and mostly accurate.  ;)

Seriously though, it's screwed up that it should be more expensive in digital distribution.  It should be the same price after the currency conversion.

Even if you DO take VAT into account (and yes, we as the people do see things back from that, no need to be so negative Liberator ;) ), there's still an huge prize gap. It also does not adequatly explain the difference between mainland Europe and the UK, since the countries are both part of the EU (import tax related) and charge the same VAT percentages.

It also does not explain the vast price differences between US, UK, and Europe in these cases. Look especially at Bad Company 2, which was made in Sweden, and Far Cry 2, which is published by the french.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 02:15:31 am by -Joshua- »

Offline Topgun

I would like to remind everyone that the great majority of production costs is not distribution, its development.

Offline blackhole

• Still not over the rainbow
  • Destiny can suck it
    • Black Sphere Studios
I would like to remind TopGun that the only reason this is still true is because developers are being retarded and not investing enough money in proper procedural generation of content, since almost half of that cost is mundane content creation.

I would ask anyone to explain inflation to me. Since that appears to be the major cause for the massive price differences: Publishers have not updated their exchange rates since... 2005 or so, still thinking that 1$ is €1.

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Inflation is the loss of purchasing power of a currency over time due to a myriad of factors including, but not limited to, over issuance of currency into the markets, unemployment, and an over dependance on debt based solutions to induce or maintain an essentially unhealthy economic growth(last one standing gets the bill).

Anecdotal Example:  In 1955(ish) my dad was able to buy a movie ticket and popcorn for a quarter($0.25), last time I went, that same deal cost $15.  By my admittedly shoddy math, that means that in 60 years the dollar has roughly 60 times less purchasing power in 2011 than it did in 1955.  This is admittedly a weak example as there are other markets where there is less devaluation, but it's what it is.

Editorial: If things continue apace in Washington, the dollar will not even be worth printing in about 3 years and will cease to be the defacto world currency shortly thereafter.  I do not know if it can be stopped.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Editorial: If things continue apace in Washington, the dollar will not even be worth printing in about 3 years and will cease to be the defacto world currency shortly thereafter.  I do not know if it can be stopped.

Cite proof. If you can't, leave your fearmongering out of the discussion. Not that it has anything to do with the topic at hand.

If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Davros

Go look at the English download of photoshop
then clear your cookies go back and select the u.k as your nationality watch the price jump even though its the exact same version
and it was much more expensive a few years ago but theve give in a little to complaints.

photoshop cs5 $699 or £657 in the u.k which is $1076 when it should be £462

ps: do you know why many monitors in europe only have a vga connector ?
because there is a 14 euro tax if the have a digital connector
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:48:12 pm by Davros »

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
But 14 euros is not really significant when you are buying a hundred, two or three hundred euro monitor. To be honest, I've never seen a display without at least a DVI connector in a really long time.

What really pisses me off is when a monitor is sold at, say... 300 dollars, gets shipped to Europe and then they convert the price 1:1 to euros and then double it and some more for ****s and giggles.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...