Author Topic: Problem with Mathewpapa's FAQ  (Read 4964 times)

Problem with Mathewpapa's FAQ
 well anyway i was reading the faq and i saw a link which he told me to use to download a file. so i clicked it and all it did was take me to a big blank page with just

thanks in advance for any help, a working link to the file would be nice...
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: Problem with Mathewpapa's FAQ
That is what the file actually contains.... Try rightclicking the link and selecting 'save as' or something like it
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The file is actually just a small text document that tells FS2 which IP and port to use for FS2NetD. Simply right click/save as :)

Offline Centrixo

copy and paste what it says to notepad, then save it to you c:\game\freespace2\data directory the naxt step is the filename, its called fs2open_pxo.cfg save it there and overwrite.

your done.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

ok thanks, i never had to overwite anything though
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

sorry for double posting but anyway....

i just got the all deadly "cannot connect to fs2netd" message. i can't solve this since i'm going to school for the day and i'll leave this here so i can have a solution when i get back. thanks in advance
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Centrixo

ok. try this http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,42854.0.html, it should get you where you want to be.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

so, i just install this over the fs open i already have?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Centrixo

what is your version?

i'm pretty sure it's the latest, 3.6.9 i think
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Ok. before we get ahead of ourselves here, the FAQ says this works on a fresh install.  If you have mods, this might or might not work. There's also the issue of having a mod having modified tables, and therefore the game will kick you out because of the modified tables in the mod.  I don't know if this has been fixed yet.  Your BEST bet is to NOT use the installer, rather just follow the instructions in the FAQ, on a clean, fresh install of FS2.

Pretty much here, we're putting the FSO executable, plus launcher in to run the base content, without MediaVP's, etc.  It will simplifiy the process to find out exactly what's not working right.

Offline Centrixo

im just pointing to a installer to avoid a mistake i made. as no one answered me before in another thread. so i installed the kara installer, so all i get is hack tables and im currently running around the forums trying to find a solution.

Nix could you kindly point me in the right direction to where i can find a fix for this.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
copy and paste what it says to notepad, then save it to you c:\game\freespace2\data directory the naxt step is the filename, its called fs2open_pxo.cfg save it there and overwrite.

your done.

While nothing is actually wrong with that you also need it in \freespace2\mediavps\data

That was actually what is causing haloboy100's problems most likely. Using the installer is a rather sledgehammer to crack a nut solution.

As for the hacked tables. That's perfectly normal. It will persist until 3.6.9 Official comes out (unless you run without the mediavps).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
so i installed the kara installer

Damnit Kara, stop stealing my credit!  :lol:  :P

Anyways,

Ok. before we get ahead of ourselves here, the FAQ says this works on a fresh install.  If you have mods, this might or might not work. There's also the issue of having a mod having modified tables, and therefore the game will kick you out because of the modified tables in the mod.  I don't know if this has been fixed yet.  Your BEST bet is to NOT use the installer, rather just follow the instructions in the FAQ, on a clean, fresh install of FS2.

Pretty much here, we're putting the FSO executable, plus launcher in to run the base content, without MediaVP's, etc.  It will simplifiy the process to find out exactly what's not working right.

Installer works fine on my hand-installed FreeSpace Open Setup.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The installer will work if you have a properly set up copy of FS2_Open.

For instance if you have ShivanSPS's download it will work without any errors. If you've ****ed up your install by sticking the media VPs and mods in your main folder then the installer won't rescue you. If you are in that situation you should check my FAQ for instructions on how to clean up your install (You could reinstall but my guide is MUCH faster) and then run Turey's installer.

However that's general advice. Haloboy merely needs to follow the instructions I posted earlier as I'm 95% that's what is causing his problem (With the other 5% being mostly firewall issues that still wouldn't be solved by a reinstall)

well anyway i already put the .cfg in my media VPs/data folder, at least i think i did, since i diden't see a file called "media VPs" ANYWHERE so i put it in the data folder that is with my media VPs(which is most likely it, right?) and... "installer"? i never used an installer. i just put the launcher and stuff in the fs2 root folder. (where it says so on freespace wiki). i guess i don't know the basics of fs open; can someone explain the whole installer thing to me? or a link to an installer?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Centrixo

thought as much, halo you have the wrong installation i did exeactly this problem as well.

it would be a good idea to install from where i linked above.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Hang on a sec. You downloaded the media VPs (Big files, filenames start with mv_ ) and put them in your freespace2 folder? Not Freespace2\Mediavps\ ?

Cause if so that's the cause of your problem. They're meant to be in the mediavps folder.

As for the installer you'll find a link to that further up the thread. It's probably the easiest way to install FS2_Open but it sounds like you already have the majority of the files you need. Try my suggestion first and if that doesn't work go back to a retail install and then use that installer.

no i put my media VP's in a file named SCP

so anyway i'm installing FS_open over my other FS_open using the installer. thank god this installer comes with JAD, sync, and the freespace port, as i never got those to work. thanks guys.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Centrixo

np  :D. kara is always here to help and hes got a bigger brain than me :p.