Author Topic: Wii wii wii, all the way home?  (Read 19701 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Wii wii wii, all the way home?
Well, it's now officially out (pretty much) all over the gaffe.  And sales-wise, it seems to have been rather a good success; if estimates are to believed it's looking like Nintendo is dead set to hit 4m sold by year end.  Which is rather impressive considering the 360 reportedly hit 6m just at the end of last September, 9-10 months after release (albeit less time when you factor in initial stock shortages in the rush-to-market).

But, is it good?  I'm looking forward to having a bash on mine, which should arrive at my humble abode by the time I finish work, and I'm wondering does anyone else here have one (If so, what's your Wii code?)? And, er, what is your opinion on it? If you don't have or want one, why? (I'm guessing lead reasons will be; 'gimmicky' and 'poor graphics', neither of which are unfair)

(there's a side interest bit here; I'm curious because one other forum I visit, populated by mostly British and mostly Amiga-generation members, seems incredibly enthusiastic about it, and I'm wondering how that compares to HLP)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Re: Wii wii wii, all the way home?
I'll be waiting a good few months to get mine, both because of plans to get a second- or third-batch Wii without the early glitches, and due to lack of funds. Plus, i'm more excited over the virtual console games more than anything else [namely the Sonic series, total fanboi] and they're not even going to be on there for at least 6 months, so I don't really mind the wait. Still...

...it's comforting to know that Big N still seems to be building their stuff solid as a brick.

Edit: What's this 'Wii Code' thing you speak of? Sort of like a friends list?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 03:26:55 am by Mefustae »

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
aaaand also take note that you're not supposed to LET GO of the controller during its use, seriously if you do let go, you'd haveta be some kind of idiot.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Actually, the straps that anchor the Wiimotes to your hand break incredibly easily. Truly, it is the over-exited indiviual that swings the thing as hard as they can that deserve the label 'idiot'.

Edit: Perhaps of note is this:

From here. I doubt it's the most trustworthy or reliable thing in the world, but considering no real official estimates have been made across the board, it's better than nothing.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:10:57 am by Mefustae »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Actually, the straps that anchor the Wiimotes to your hand break incredibly easily. Truly, it is the over-exited indiviual that swings the thing as hard as they can that deserve the label 'idiot'.

Edit: Perhaps of note is this:

From here. I doubt it's the most trustworthy or reliable thing in the world, but considering no real official estimates have been made across the board, it's better than nothing.

Well, all I know offhand is Japan, where the 360 has now fallen behind the PS3 ( :o ), and the Wii apparently has sold more than the 2 combined (or close to it, anyways).  It's pretty fascinating to see how the Wii has seemingly just exploded into the market.  I know that the Wii was reported to launch with 4m consoles till-year-end, and it seems as if they're struggling to even meet pre-order demand in many places, so 4m actually seems plausible (perhaps by the end of Jan 2007 rather than the start?)

Incidentally, the 360 6m at Sept end is definately correct, because it's from MS :)  I'd expect a substantial rise in 360 sakes thanks to an actual supply at xmas, GoW being released (finally some true AAA titles becoming available), and rather perversely the PS3 release.  but an extra 2m in, ooh, 3 months would seem a surprise to me.

EDIT; more sales figures confusion; http://news.spong.com/article/11299 - MS expects 10m by the end of the 'holiday period', but that figure is units sold to retailers (etc), not the actual number sold in stores to customers.  Not, I suppose, that it matters to MS' bottom line.

Anyways, I think you'd have to be an idiot to break the TV with the thing, weak strap or not.  Me, I'll just strengthen the strap if I'm worried :)  Albeit did anyone expect this? It's bonkers :D

Oh, and the Wii code is (yup) a friend ID.  Like the DS, only rather than (thank christ) being a code per-game it's just a unique code-per-machine.  Annoyingly, it seems you still need to have each others codes' before doing anything; legacy of 'family-friendly', so it looks a cloggy system, but once we have online Mario Kart it should nonetheless be the dogs nadgers.  Which is odd, because I don't normally give a monkeys about online console gaming (never used it for the Ds, only wireless games in the office), but I know a few people with one and it's free, so why not? :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 04:55:36 am by aldo_14 »

Offline Roanoke

The controller looks more fun in the TV ads than I was anticipating. Then there's Zelda, ofcourse.

Can't justify >£300 for a console either so the Wii is most likely, though I'm not in any rush. GC Zelda will do for me for now (assuming it's still due on GC ?)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, good news and bad news.

Good news is, one of my workmates brought it into work, and it's - frankly - ace.   Tremendous fun.

Bad news is, my pre-ordered console has the following tracking details;
Ident Code History   Return to Parcel Tracking Index
Go Back
Historical status information for Ident Code BLAHBLAHBLAH:-

Status   Date   Time   Signatory   Branch
Held - Damaged  08/12/06  10:35     GLASGOW SERVICE CENTRE
Held Locked Area  08/12/06  06:45     GLASGOW SERVICE CENTRE
Arrived At Depot  08/12/06  06:30     GLASGOW SERVICE CENTRE
Departed Depot  07/12/06  18:20     HATFIELD TERMINAL
Arrived At Depot  07/12/06  18:14     HATFIELD TERMINAL
Security check  07/12/06    MILTON KEYNES SERVICE CENTRE
Shipment Data Received  07/12/06    MILTON KEYNES SERVICE CENTRE

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Well, good news and bad news.

Good news is, one of my workmates brought it into work, and it's - frankly - ace.   Tremendous fun.

Bad news is, my pre-ordered console has the following tracking details;
Ident Code History   Return to Parcel Tracking Index
Go Back
Historical status information for Ident Code BLAHBLAHBLAH:-

Status   Date   Time   Signatory   Branch
Held - Damaged  08/12/06  10:35     GLASGOW SERVICE CENTRE
Held Locked Area  08/12/06  06:45     GLASGOW SERVICE CENTRE
Arrived At Depot  08/12/06  06:30     GLASGOW SERVICE CENTRE
Departed Depot  07/12/06  18:20     HATFIELD TERMINAL
Arrived At Depot  07/12/06  18:14     HATFIELD TERMINAL
Security check  07/12/06    MILTON KEYNES SERVICE CENTRE
Shipment Data Received  07/12/06    MILTON KEYNES SERVICE CENTRE

:lol:

What was someone saying about them being solid.......................oh yeah!

...it's comforting to know that Big N still seems to be building their stuff solid as a brick.

:lol: :wakka:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It's more likely IMO that someones given it a dunt against a wall, then stolen it for eBay.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd say that was almost certainly what happened.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
uh huh.

Well, i'm off to the depot tomorrow to ask to see the package.  Take it from me - never buy Currys, and never get DHL to ship anything.

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
And here I thought DHL was good in the UK... at least UPS will hold my package for me at the service counter if I'm not home.  DHL knocks, then runs away like they're scared, leaving the box out in the middle of the sidewalk.  Even worse? That package was my girlfriend's Zune, with looming snow clouds overhead.  Nuts. 

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
And here I thought DHL was good in the UK... at least UPS will hold my package for me at the service counter if I'm not home.  DHL knocks, then runs away like they're scared, leaving the box out in the middle of the sidewalk.  Even worse? That package was my girlfriend's Zune, with looming snow clouds overhead.  Nuts. 

DHL doesn't even tell you if it's damaged;I had to check their tracking, and then phone up to be told I had to phone the sender to tell them to contact DHL to have it returned.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
UPS, they're not called Universal Package Smashers for nothing! In the States, the place you do not want to see on UPS tracking is CACH Illinois. That's Chicago Area Concentration Hub. AKA the black hole of UPS. Packages go in and you see nothing on tracking until it arrives at your door. Drivers have told me the CACH building is so huge it has two restaurants inside for the employees and people motor around the place on electric scooters.

As for DHL, remember that DHL plane that took a SAM to an engine flying out of Baghdad? The pilot turned around and landed, no word on whether or not they found the flight crew's seat cushions...
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Drivers have told me the CACH building is so huge it has two restaurants inside for the employees and people motor around the place on electric scooters.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
finally got it from the DHL depot - only the outer box was damaged.

Frankly, it's ace.  I've never, ever, had so much sheer fun playing a console in years.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Good for you. :p

I think that has more to do with attitude and less to do with the machine myself. ;)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Good for you. :p

I think that has more to do with attitude and less to do with the machine myself. ;)

Tell my parents and my brother that, then. :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I am going to get one, just going to leave it till at least after Xmas, once all the rush is over, I'll amble along and treat myself. :)

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I've let people who've never touched consoles before try mine out. A few days later I got a call from one of them, he said: "I went out and bought a Wii because of you!" Two more, my boss, and the director of the company I work for (and family friend) are asking where they can get one.  ;)
I am a revolutionary.