Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210461 times)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
@KT we'd all be mocked... in a fun way tho...
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Hell, tell Penny Arcade. :nervous:

hell yeah :D That'd be funny :D
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline 01010

Heh, tell Something Awful...
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Styxx

Ok, we'll note it down to not give you one then. :p

fine then.  I like it as it is.

:p

Odds are, if the FS rights are up for grab, we'd be outbid.  Look on the bright side - we've been resigned to the death of FS for years now.  If Derek Smart buys the rights and develops a **** sequel, then we don't have to buy it, mod it or even give it a forum here.  

If, much as I doubt it, it turns out to be as good as or better than FS2, then more power to him.

But we can't really lose, can we? - if Derek Smart gets the license, then it'll be because no-one else wants it.

With the SCP and Ferrium, we already have a future mapped out for Freespace.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Knight Templar
Hell, tell Penny Arcade. :nervous:

Good Idea. Anyone know someone on the staff? If not I'll send them an E-mail.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
send this to Penny Arcade, pronto. They'll have some fun with it. Make sure to include all the good quotes.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Anyhow, since it's never an idea to go off half-cocked I'd want to know more about this, such as if any Volition crew are going to be involved, is the story done by Volition or someone else, etc.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior
Originally posted by Tiara

PCGamer... that's one.

actually that's many:

PCGamer UK, US, France, Belgium/Netherlands, Australia, Spain, Sweden, Russia, Italy, Israel, Malaysia and more...
It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
I'll drop one to Penny-Arcade.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'd still like to see if we could buy the licence ourselves. Maybe we should start a thread :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Seriously, this thread is SO gonna get closed.

And I'm a traffic whore, so head out to NW

http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1983
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by an0n
La Resistance

[size=1212]Vive La Resistance[/size]
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Lets face it. Now that Derek Smart is involved the amount of money most of the community members are willing to part with to buy the license has at least tripled

Good, because if Interplay have bidders, so will the price :(

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
I think we get the picture there anon and tiara.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
This thread is going to put Interplay back in buisiness :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
*will send another to Penny Arcade, just for security*
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Fractux

I'm not sure what to make of it.

If and when FS3 does come out, I'll judge then. Until then, it's not worth our time, and let's concentrate on other things.

I liked 3000ad's game desire for scope. I always found myself frustrated about many things, but at least they tried to push it that far, and showed that such a game could be done. I bought Battlecruiser Millennium and I loved the scope but there were alot of annoyances that came along with it.

FS3, if kept in line with FS2 and FS is completely different, so I dunno if we can judge it on his past work. DS hasn't published other games other than the BC series, so we'll never know what it'll be like.

Anyways, i'll leave this be.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2004, 06:04:39 pm by 1248 »
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
Oh dear.

I miss JE Sawyer. Well, actually, I miss the developers at Black Isle. They were all cool, but it's JE I remember, 'cause of when I came to the BIS boards. He was intelligent - started up a forum dedicated to the discussion of history, and later philosophy, religion and politics as well. He was witty - quoteworthy material and all, 'specially when he donned the mantle of the moderator Overseer.

(I still chuckle at POP CAIN'S FRUIT STAND).

More pertinently, he often discussed his plans for Fallout 3 with the BIS forum-goers, even when it was still being called 'Van Buren'.

He'd come in and start a supposedly hypothetical thread about party management or the use of weapons in a theoretical tactical-combat RPG or the matter of turn-based game vs. real-time game vs. game with both, and everyone would weigh in and he'd make counterarguments and the thread would progress from there, with, during the first few months, the implicit understanding that he was talking about 'Van Buren', the secret Fallout 3 project. Ye, and it was good, and pure, and clean.

I don't know whether he actually changed any ideas about Fallout 3 based on what the people said on the boards - probably not, considering how... extreme the Fallout Fanboys could be at times. But, on reflection, I don't think that was the point at all. I think the point was that there was a connection between developer and gamer, producer and consumer.

Perhaps, if money is your only concern, that doesn't matter; so long as they lap it up, who cares what they think of you? Message board visitors are not representative of the population at large; they are a tiny, hardcore faction of a much larger customer base. Then again, consider perhaps the value of word of mouth. I'm given to understand that the RPG Planescape Torment did not sell well at first (no wonder, considering the aesthetic attributes of the box cover and dire marketing). However, over time, hardcore RPG fans would go up to people who had been hooked on Baldur's Gate and similar games and say 'Well, if you liked that, then you might want to try this...' like a dealer giving his favourite customer a taste of the harder stuff.

And it turned out, PST did rather well after all. No, not a Half-life or Deus Ex or whatever that spawns a thousand insidious sequels and rip-offs that maraude across the gaming cosmos, leaving only unoriginality in their wake. But, as a slow-burner, it did actually do quite well.

Of course, this is just me saying this, with, naturally, my flawed perception of matters based off vague recollections of posts by Chris Avellone and other BIS devs... but something to think about, perhaps, when one dismisses the hardcore fanbase... even if one's primary goal is money and not producing a great game that truly contains the spirit of Freespace 2, or whatever artsiness you want to include here.

Though I'm not entirely sure why I just spent all this time reading and responding to this thread. I don't even know who this guy is or what games he has made, after all.

Eh, not as if I don't have time to waste anyway. No matter.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Check the latest pennyarcade cartoon - it's soooo fitting.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14