Author Topic: Since 1990  (Read 1118 times)

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
I've been playing space sim shooters since age 12 back in the day, I remember in 1990 Wing Commander, I felt so good and we tried playing with the keyboard, wanting a joystick to make it feel 'real ' cannot remember wich joystick I had, white with red trigger and rear button, later after 1993 I bought a Logitech Attact 3 connected to my Creative Sound Blaster sound card.

I was thinking many of you guys must be in there late 30s' to mid/late 40's since you play Freespace / mods etc.

I'm 40 now and I still feel the urge playing a space sim/shooter, I've enjoyed the Wing commander series of games and I've played most of the titles more than once.

thanks for you guys making new MODS and keeping things alive !

best for 2018

cheers
Johnny
Cheers
John

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Yeah, i'm 49, and I am not the oldest one here. 

I've always enjoyed the immersion of using a joystick rather than mouse + keyboard, even if the precision is not the same.  The first accessory I bought when I got my first PC in 1999 was a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro.  I still have it in a box around here somewhere.  The second thing I bought was a Soundblaster card because the built-in gameport on my motherboard would not recognize the stick. 

My first computer was an Atari 800 around 1982, then a 1200XL.  I played the snot out of Star Raiders and F-15 Strike Eagle on those using the old Atari 8 direction, 1 button joystick.  For F-15, you could use a second joystick as a throttle so you didn't have to go to the keyboard as much.  I built a holder out of Plexiglass that rigidly joined the two sticks together, sort of like a giant twin-stick gamepad. 

Be sure to check out Diaspora f you have not yet done so.  If you ever wanted to pilot a Viper, here's your chance.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline johnney351

• bring'em on!
I remember the Joystick I had, quickshot and I felt the immersion in Strike Commander (Origin ) back in the day. wow, what a game !

I tested Diaspora, looks really good, thanks deathspeed
Cheers
John

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
I managed to get my hands on a Gravis Firebird a little while back. Looks to be in good condition so I'd like to use it for Freespace, but unfortunately I need a special cable to connect it to my modern computer.