Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 14657 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Also the part I meant to quote on my OP was the part of "what if XYZ went down?"  Steam going down would have a similar concern as battle.net going down.

No, not really. In fact, not at all. Steam can go down after you've logged in and your library will run, battle.net going down means your game craps out.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline mxlm

Yeah, Steam going down isn't an immediate issue. D3's servers crying means you can't play. Not exactly the same

I have completely different expectations for a Diablo game and I'm not going to change them just because people don't want to have to pick their own skills and attributes as they level up.
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2012/5/3/diablo-3s-ability-system.html
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Also the part I meant to quote on my OP was the part of "what if XYZ went down?"  Steam going down would have a similar concern as battle.net going down.

No, not really. In fact, not at all. Steam can go down after you've logged in and your library will run, battle.net going down means your game craps out.

The main difference is the immediacy.  Without Steam, a lot of games would eventually cease to be useful or attainable legally, while bnet going down would have an immediate effect.  Both are online systems that act as DRM for games, whose absence would cause major problems.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The point is that Steam itself does not store or generate game-related data on its own server. If Steam itself failed then it would actually be a simple procedure to allow authorised games to skip the DRM. The risk I see with Diablo 3 is that it appears some of the data is generated externally. In other words, even if the DRM were removed, the game would still be reliant on the functionality and availability of those servers.

That, to me, is introducing an Achilles Heel into the system, where the player is connected by a digital umbilical cord to the company, always relying on their continued existence. Whilst I freely accept there's little danger of Blizzard going under any time soon, I don't feel comfortable with that kind of knife being held to my throat.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The main difference is the immediacy.

As Flipside has continuously pointed out, this is again not true. If b.net is down, there is no way to play D3 at all. Period. End of discussion. You can't even crack it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You can't even crack it.
You're new to the internet, aren't you ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hey someone tell me if this game puts a huge amount of effort into its story but completely wastes all the interesting tonal and plot hooks from the end of the last game, then concludes on a ridiculous 'happy ending' with choral music and zero catharsis or satisfaction, tia

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Well, I don't spoil much, but given that it's been at least 2 decades since the worldstone was shattered, the plot hooks from that time have probably died off or retired to old(er) age.  Cain has a 20 something neice of sorts to give you an idea of how long it's been.  I will be frank however and say that the "mysteries" are not that mysterious and it's probably because I've been reading a lot of blizzard stuff.  A lot of it is unbelievably obvious with events that I haven't even seen yet having been telegraphed much earlier.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
There was some interesting intimation towards the end of LoD that Tyrael had destroyed the Worldstone for his own purposes, possibly demonic corruption/whatever (Blizzard loves corrupting ****). Does that go anywhere?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
You can't even crack it.
You're new to the internet, aren't you ?

See:
The risk I see with Diablo 3 is that it appears some of the data is generated externally. In other words, even if the DRM were removed, the game would still be reliant on the functionality and availability of those servers.
It'd be like trying to crack an MMO to run offline in a singleplayer mode. Sure, you can circumvent the DRM, but you'd also need to establish a server with stolen/reverse engineered program that would generate this missing data.
Steam does no such thing and is, at it's core, a glorified shortcut that additionally checks if the game is legit. I bought Red Faction on Steam and had to download a patched .exe to get it to run properly on Vista. This, on the other hand, prevented me from using Steam to run it. The game worked perfectly (well, as perfectly as a 15 years old game can run on Vista anyway) though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
At least one UbiSoft game (AC2 I believe) used similar DRM, and iirc it was still cracked pretty rapidly.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Ubisofts' implementation depended on getting regular pings from the ubi servers, this implementation basically removes part of the game data from the client.

Writing a dummy server that responded to pings was probably easy, writing a server that can do what the battle.net server apparently does will probably be more difficult.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure there were actually elements of game content that had to be downloaded when you reached them. That's how the technique was discussed at the time on RPS.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I have Anno 2070 which is one of the Ubisoft games that uses the new system. If it cannot find the servers then you cannot access your previous saved-data and the software is coded to disable certain functions in the menu. Also, whilst the original campaign (a very short 6-mission thing) is available with the game, you cannot play any other missions (called World Missions iirc) without being logged into the Ubisoft servers, and if you lose connection whilst playing the game, then a load of things get disabled mid-game, such as being able to store goods in your main 'base' because that info is stored online.

Edit : As I understand it, losing connection in Diablo 3 is even more catastrophic because of the procedural generation, it means that, whilst the achievements your player has may be preserved, the game you were playing will have actually changed by the time you get back in.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 03:08:01 pm by Flipside »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Wow.  I no longer have any desire to pick up Anno 2070.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
To be honest, had I known, I wouldn't have bought it, I love the Anno series, but this really was pushing things a bit too far. It's why I don't go near Ubisoft games any more.

Offline mxlm

At least one UbiSoft game (AC2 I believe) used similar DRM, and iirc it was still cracked pretty rapidly.

D3's client:server relationship is essentially the same as WoW's, and that's very much not the system UbiDRM uses. There are private WoW servers but A: they're not actually the same as playing on Blizzard's servers because the operators had to guess at some of the things going on server-side and B: Blizzard has successfully sued the pants off one outfit, and more will likely follow.
I will ask that you explain yourself. Please do so with the clear understanding that I may decide I am angry enough to destroy all of you and raze this sickening mausoleum of fraud down to the naked rock it stands on.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I've heard vague talk that DRM issues aside this game is sort of shallow and unengaging, please abuse/disabuse me of this notion

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I've heard similar reports, from what I understand this one wasn't developed by Blizzard North, who were the people who created Diablo 1 & 2, I've heard a few people say that it feels more like a 'generic Blizzard game' rather than a natural progression to the series, and that some of the enemies are too 'Warcrafty' to sit comfortably in the Diablo universe.

That said, I haven't actually played the game yet, so that is based entirely on hearsay.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I've heard vague talk that DRM issues aside this game is sort of shallow and unengaging, please abuse/disabuse me of this notion

This is pretty much true. The combat is mildly enjoyable but, unsurprisingly, the story isn't all that impressive. And without character creation it's really impossible to **** up in this game. The weapons really aren't all that interesting either, but that can probably be fixed in patches/expansion packs like D2. Pretty much since I've actually played the game I've felt that it was a fun little game. A good diversion for a couple weekends, but not worth the $60 and hardly a worthy Diablo title. But take my opinion with a grain of salt, some people seem to enjoy the new skill system.