Author Topic: Fixed cockpit viewpoints  (Read 12221 times)

Fixed cockpit viewpoints
I've been playing through FSPort and FS2 with show-ship enabled for all craft that have been reimagined with cockpits.

As I've gone through, I've noticed a lot of very silly viewpoints, which I've been fixing through PCS2.

Uploaded here are the ones I've fixed so far - I'm not sure how many people play with show-ship, but if you do or want to start doing so, this might save some trouble.

In the zip are the following fixes:
- GTB Medusa [moved back and down]
- GTB Zeus [moved forward, down and centered. I've placed it at the front pilot, though the old eye seemed to be at the back]
- GTF Hercules MkII [moved forward and down (VA did this one, so it will probably be in the next mediavp release anyway)]
- GTF Perseus [centered and moved forward. This one has the pilot always looking to the right, so you might see his nose if you use the hatswitch unfortunately]
- GTF Apollo [forward and down, iirc]
- GTF Valkyrie [back and up, iirc]
- GTF Hercules [forward, down and centered. The design of the nose means there are still artifacts, but they should be less noticeable now]

----

If anyone's interested, I can keep posting these up as I do them. It's mainly a personal thing.

While I'm here, is there any way to fix the whole hud-makes-cockpit-transparent thing?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:34:36 pm by voidSkipper »

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Re: Fixed cockpit viewpoints
That is some excellent work there. If you've gotten any that we have missed, we will definitely include them.

And heck, even if we did already manage to catch them all internally, I'll add your name to the credits list any way for taking the time to not only post the issue comprehensively, but also working through it and, in the spirit of community, sharing the results.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Zacam, probably stating the obvious here, but if you're updating the SVN models I think at least some of the POF versions we have will have changed since these versions. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Heh. Obvious it may be, but I thank the reminder any way.
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Can't you just import the eyepoints?

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I _could_, but that is nowhere near as nifty as opening both, and manually adjusting.   ;)

¤[D+¬>

Glad to be of service.

If the whole community handles the menial tasks, the team itself can concentrate on the exciting stuff  :P

Offline FOX2PRO

Wait, this game has cockpits now? How do I enable them...

I see theres been a lot of progress since 3.6.7...

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Sorta...most fighters have low poly, non-functional cockpits modeled in, which can be made visible via a table flag.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Although without this fix the viewpoints are quite screwed up.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
Some minor corrections. Where possible, setting the viewpoint to "Pilot" or "Cockpit" (when or where either exists) makes much more sense than "Detail0" or "Hull".

The Ursa is the current exception, as there is no pilot or cockpit object to attach the viewpoint to.

I am currently going through all the models now.

K. For ships with cockpits in them, I corrected:

GTB Medusa
GTB Ursa
GTB Zeus
GTF Ulysses
GTF Pegasus
GTF Hercules Mark II
GTF Pegasus
GTF Erinyes
GTF Hercules
GTF Loki
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:38:23 pm by Zacam »

¤[D+¬>

If somebody could delete the attachment or show me how to do so, that would be great. The upload is broken, the mediafire link is what should be used to download.

FOX2PRO, if you paste the following into notepad and save it as a .tbm file in //freespace2/data/tables/, it will enable the specified ships to display cockpit view;

Code: [Select]
#Ship Classes

$Name: GTF Perseus
+nocreate
$Flags: ( "show ship" )

$Name: GTF Myrmidon
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Hercules Mark II
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Hercules
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Loki
+nocreate

$Name: GTB Medusa
+nocreate

$Name: GTB Ursa
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Apollo
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Valkyrie
+nocreate

$Name: GTB Athena
+nocreate

$Name: GTF Ulysses
+nocreate

#End

These are only the ships I have tested, though. There are many others with cockpits, but I haven't played any of them to see if the viewpoints are acceptable.

I think the best experience you'll get is in the GTB Athena. It looks truly badass if you hatswitch left and right and see the huge engine nacels. It's also one of the few ships that gives you a useful backwards hatswitch view.

EDIT: The Myrmidon doesn't have a cockpit, but it still offers quite a nice view as you can see the stabilisers. Since the Ulysses offers a completely unobstructed view due to the pilot's position, it's probably safe to say that the Myrmidon would as well anyway.

If somebody could delete the attachment or show me how to do so, that would be great.
Click "Modify" at the top right of your post, then uncheck the attachment and click "Save" :P

Sorta...most fighters have low poly, non-functional cockpits modeled in, which can be made visible via a table flag.

Although I'd say it's a pretty good job for something that's supposed to be viewed from outside, at about 35 meters(isn't that about where the chase camera is in relation to the cockpit?)
Good job doing the viewpoints. One of the more tedious things you can do with PCS2.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
I only set the points on ships that had actual modeled cockpits. The Myrmidon already had it's eyepoint set.

The rest of the models could probably have them set as well, but until we get cockpits in them, I (personally) don't feel like expending the effort.

Unless there is enough of a request for it.

¤[D+¬>

Although I'd say it's a pretty good job for something that's supposed to be viewed from outside, at about 35 meters(isn't that about where the chase camera is in relation to the cockpit?)
Good job doing the viewpoints. One of the more tedious things you can do with PCS2.

I wonder if I could shanghai anyone into making a better cockpit texture... it doesn't need to be high poly, just a nicer texture.

And just asking again - is there any way to get rid of the transparancy glitch caused by looking through the cockpit's hud upright when there's hull or struts behind it?

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48726.0.html
and a rough to-do list:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,50349.msg1220717.html#msg1220717

Basically until we get the main cockpit system working, there's not a lot of point putting effort into improving the current dinky little system. ;)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Taiten

Sorry for reviving a old thread, but I was wondering if anyone still had the fixed viewpoint files, as the link in the first post is invalid now.

Offline Jabba

• Project: 'Megaton'
I second that notion
Ultra sucky for announcing greatness and returning with nothing.....

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Do you have the current mediavps? Because the models were integrated into them...
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns