Author Topic: RELEASE — Blue Planet  (Read 170657 times)

Re: RELEASE — Blue Planet
It's so weird, I have it set for 4.6.7. and 22.0 and a new pilot and it's using the older Loki model, Argo, Herc I and a few others.

The more recent big ones, Ravana, Demon, Orion, Eyrinyes, Ares are all the new versions.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 12:41:51 am by manwiththemachinegun »

Blue Planet Complete 3.1.1 is coming soon to a knossos near you!
This update was build for and tested on FSO 22.2.

This update contains a workaround for an AI bug that was making all AI in FSBlue and to a lesser extent BP1 a lot weaker then they should be. This bug should be fixed properly for FSO 22.4, but either way a lot of missions needed to be looked over for balance changes.

In addition to that, FSBlue has seen a couple of changes:

• Quite a few FSO AI enhancements have now also been enabled for FSBlue. This means that the AI can use trebuchets against bombers and capital ships across the entire mod, and in general is a bit more consistent throughout.
  • The campaign can now optionally use MjnMixael's Aquitaine and Soyakaze main halls.
  • Nyctaeus's NTF Ship Textures have been integrated.
  • The Sixth Wonder has been reworked, with the NTF now committing its bombers and capships to the mission much sooner rather then patiently waiting until the player has destroyed the previous wave.
  • Various smaller changes to events in missions: Spawn logic has been tuned, some missions will finish up a little faster when all enemies have been destroyed, some ships that would previously appear out of thin air are now present from the start, some load-outs are a little less restrictive, some more ships have been beam-freed, some missions give you more control over your wingmen then before, and some previously unheard lines will now be spoken.
  • Occasionally, Dan Wentz's remixes of FS1 briefing music found their way into the campaign.

But it's not just FSBlue. The entire mod has seen some updates:

• A concentrated effort has been made to ensure that all voice files are of a consistent volume.
  • The mod now utilizes the latest version of the MediaVPs
  • A lot of table files have been modularized and/or slimmed down. This should make both maintaining the mod itself and incorperating future MVP changes easier.
  • BP's ships now use MV_Radaricons and FSU's new explosion sound effects.
  • Some weapons' visual effects have been updated, using either old or new MediaVP assets.
  • BP's sound effects have now been updated to both utilize FSO's Enhanced Sound feature and be in line with the MediaVPs volume and distance attenuation. BP's beam weapons no longer sound quieter then FSU's.
  • Small oversights in BP's sound assignments have been corrected: Some weapons didn't have sound at all, those have now been given new sound effects, either already present in the Mod's files, present in the MediaVPs or borrowed from Red Faction.
  • As a bonus, GTA, GVA and UEF ships now have somewhat different lock/missile alert sounds: Tev ships use Battle for Neptune's sounds, Vasudan ships use the vanilla FS2 sounds, and Federation ships use FS1 sounds.
  • A couple of minor bugs in AoA and WiH's missions were fixed.
  • Some music is now slightly higher fidelity, and there are a couple of extra tracks.

This update has been quite extensive. Please let us know about any issues, or changes you don't care much for.
it's also okay to say that you like things

Offline Marguel

• Sparda
    • Steam
Sounds absolutely amazing!
Been meaning to try FSBlue, and it seems now is a good time to do it.
Thanks!
I'll come back if I see anything weird.
"You'll see. It'll be better than last time. "
"I hope so. I died."

Neato, I'll be sure to check it out.

Ran into an "attempt to load mission failed" bug during WIH 1. Got a debug: https://fsnebula.org/log/636ee0cb696ed475c4ccee47

Is that an update available I see? Yes, yes it is. :V

Very nice! All the ships are working and there's a lot of under-the-hood tuning to the missions, sound fx and friendly/enemy AI. Excellent stuff so far! Currently just sunk the Ravana.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2022, 10:04:59 pm by manwiththemachinegun »

3.1.2 is now uploading!

This update simply strips out the uses of the "set-sound-enviroment" sexp in a couple of missions, as they were causing crashes in FSO 22.2 for people who didn't have EFX enabled.

Incidentally, I also made some changes to how the EFX system works for BP which I may have forgotten in a changelog. In FSO, having EFX enabled may or may not give a pretty echo-y effect. In BP that's been standardized to just be turned off with a couple of exceptions (And there the effect is a lot milder).

When next campaign releases

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Probably not until we reach the actual time period that it's supposed to take place. ;)
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Well, "Blue 2" is a good consolation prize in the mean time. I actually just finished B1 a few weeks ago and it's pretty amazing how all these little updates to ships and AI, even some mission objective "tightening" results in a much snappier campaign.

Awesome news, can't wait to try out the new improvements!

3.1.2 is now uploading!

This update simply strips out the uses of the "set-sound-enviroment" sexp in a couple of missions, as they were causing crashes in FSO 22.2 for people who didn't have EFX enabled.

3.1.3 is now uploading!
It does the above, but properly.

BPC 3.1.45 is now uploading!

This update deletes a few leftover files (the 'cleaned' folders in voice files) that were causing problems on pre-release builds. The current release is still designed to work on FSO 22.2, this is merely a convenience feature for adventurous people.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:51:13 am by -Joshua- »

Knossos update failed, re-upload now being attempted.
Sorry about that, there's little I can do about it on my end except just upload another version atm.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Hi guys. Quick question - where can I get my grubby little mits on the model, table etc. for this fine ship?

https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/File:Gtdhecate-tei.jpg

I notice BP doesn't use it anymore in favour of the newer model of the standard Hecate, but I would like to use it in what I'm working on if that is ok?

Cheers :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

The HecateMk2 should still just be in the table files itself (afaik only the model was upgraded to the newer one).

You can download BPC 1.0.0 via knossos, and you should be able to find the old new hecate in there.
Go to explore, blue planet complete, and download the desired version from the dropdown list.

BPC 3.1.6 is now uploading!

For some bizarre reason, FRED decided at some point to mark literally every event in every mission as something that needed to be written to the event log. This caused numerous slowdowns. This has now been corrected.

What will be the next campaign? Is it War in Heaven Part 3?

What will be the next campaign? Is it War in Heaven Part 3?

Last I heard, the campaign has been suspended indefinitely due to time constraints on the team.  Life has moved on, and the team has had to move on with it, and that means they're largely unable to continue the campaign.  I'm sure someone from the BP campaign could answer better, but I've seen this question asked multiple times (and I've asked myself at least once), and that seems to be the standard answer.

I heard there was a completion of the story in short story form somewhere, but I'm not sure where, and I keep holding out hope that someday it will be finished in campaign format, so I've intentionally avoided it.  Maybe someone could provide a link to that here.

Maybe when GeneralBattuta and the team are retired and 80 years old, and Freespace is now VR, we'll see the campaign completed, and I think it will be worth the wait.  🤣

What a shame this great campaign died this silent death.