Author Topic: FringeSpace Mod Wishlist  (Read 5310 times)

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Re: FringeSpace Mod Wishlist
kara: we may do some of that tonight.

Anyone: Comments on the reverse thrust hud indication idea, or afterburners in reverse?
Fringespace - Tachyon: Revived   ModDB Listing   Razorskiss.net 

You only think you can outfly me.

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
kara - both JGZ and I got this error, when joining each other's in-progress games:

Game was live, ships were in-space.  When in ship loadout/selection screen, it gave the "not in proper state" (or whatever) error.

thats different from what I remember in ingame joining O.o

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=1245

That's the synopsis, with debug on.

Diagnoses, doctors? :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:49:28 pm by RazorsKiss »

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it doesn't work.

we are rather short handed in network programmers right now.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Problem is that your client side error is nothing to do with the code in question. It's bad data. Get that fixed and try again.

Best thing to do is to try a coop or dogfight mission. Host a game and start it without anyone joining (Both will run without a second player unlike TvT). Once you can get the mission to run on both PCs then you can begin testing in-game joining.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Problem is that your client side error is nothing to do with the code in question. It's bad data. Get that fixed and try again.

Best thing to do is to try a coop or dogfight mission. Host a game and start it without anyone joining (Both will run without a second player unlike TvT). Once you can get the mission to run on both PCs then you can begin testing in-game joining.

A. "(the) client side error is nothing to do with the code in question"

1. What is "that" which needs to get fixed? 
   2. What data is "bad", and what does the "good" look like in comparison
   3. What method is used to tell the two apart?

In other words, what tells you that (a) The data is bad, and (b) What data to compare it to (there isn't a whole lot of documentation on multiplayer in general, let alone this experimental feature) and (c)

B. Hosted game works, and plays, with one player, or two.  Done.  That's why we're testing it.  It's the stock "The Gauntlet" mission, modified to use our unique ships, and *only* for those ships.

C.  Did you see the MANTIS report, with the server-side info? 

I have the errorbox code from the client, and the server-side debug spew listed in that MANTIS report. 

Could you be a bit more specific as to what you mean?  You asked me to go ahead and test the features I wanted to use that were experimental or not-quite-implemented - so that's what we're doing :D

Bobbau:

Yeah, I figured :D

But, seriously, kara had talked to me about this in another thread, and on IRC. 

he said:
I'm happy to answer any questions you have as long as you'll report any multiplayer bugs you find.

So, that's what we're doing :D  Plus, he said "some testing is in order", earlier in the thread :D 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 04:47:48 pm by RazorsKiss »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We're short multiplayer coders so I'm slowly taking on the role until I can find someone to replace me. To that end I'm happy to at least try to help with stuff like this as it is a feature I'd like to see working in BtRL as well.

Razorkiss, the problem with your mantis report is that the error you've reported is this one

Client-side error box:

Warning: Couldn't load bitmap thruster02-01

That's not a multiplayer error. That's caused because either you haven't turned on JPG and TGA textures on that machine or you're missing the thruster textures.

So reporting this error doesn't help me much. It could be that once you fix this error in-game joining works perfectly.

What I was asking you to do is to run missions through the debug version with only one person playing the mission so that you eliminate errors like this one. Once you've got it to the point that "The Gauntlet" runs perfectly on a debug build if one player starts the game then you can try in-game joining as you'll now know that any errors you see are actually due to in-game joining and not due to bad data or a code error somewhere else in the code.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net
Secondary Firing points/Banks
We're trying to make a ship fire 4 secondary weapons simultaneously.

I have 2 multi-firing point missile banks set up, naming each bank missilebank-x.

Each bank has two firing points linked to it, and they both work, in each bank - however, they fire alternately, not simultaneously, with no "cycle" flag on the weapons.

Can two secondary firing points fire simultaneously?  If not, what needs to be changed to "make it so"?

Also, we're looking for the ability to link multiple banks together, in groups of two, and two only, and switch banks via keypress, should a ship have more than two secondary banks.   

So, in the end result, we want to fire all firing points contained within the two selected, linked, banks, simultaneously - and switch banks to an alternate "set", if available.

Offline RazorsKiss

• The Cutting Edge
    • RazorsKiss.net