Author Topic: New theme issues  (Read 248591 times)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
I think the HLP Network Bar was already shrunk. That or I like it so much that I don't want it removed. :<

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Google Chrome has stopped complaining about the site being bad now :D
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I don't know what caused it, but I can't scroll using the touchscreen on Firefox since the change. I think it's probably one of the new scripts that's being weird and incompatible but I don't know if the fault is with the script or Firefox. Touch screen scrolling still works fine in IE and Chrome, so it's probably that FF doesn't like something. The same thing happens on Twitter and Cracked.com (if that in any way helps).

I've found a workaround, so this is not in any way imperative, but I'm just putting it out there.

I'd also like to put in a vote for slightly shrinking the size of the nav bar at the top of the screen. Otherwise, everything looks good and/or I'm waiting until stuff is settled down before commenting further.

There's now a lot of space wasted on a much larger header, broader margins, and all these curved boxes. I think I preferred the old skin.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

I like the new theme, especially the fixed width. Posts are now much easier to read without lines a half mile long and I don't feel that there is space "wasted" -  browsing with 1920*1200.

Edit: May I post a suggestion? I don't know the technical details and proper terms but is it possible to implement a script that opens pictures in a window of its own (just like it is implemented on this site: http://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Test/31682/78247/0/Okami_HD.html) so that you don't have to move back to the original page via the browser?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 03:40:49 am by SkycladGuardian »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I'd prefer going back to the longer line lengths as well.  I feel that the previous format gives the viewer the choice of how long they want their lines of text to be, as they can resize their browser to find a comfortable length for them.  I like a fullscreen browser and long lines, but am now restricted to the shorter length on my 22-inch widescreen :)

As a minor nitpick, I preferred the old orange themed news bar.  I think it fits in the colour scheme better.  If orange is out, perhaps a darker shade of blue for the background would work?  (I am a white-text-on-black-background-terminal kinda guy though :))

Apart from that - I like the new look.  The fonts are much nicer, I like the curves, and I really like click-to-open-menus instead of mouse over - I didn't ever find HLP too bad in that department (noting that I hardly ever browse it on my phone) but with certain other web-apps I use at work it's highly, *highly* irritating.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I had absolutely no idea what people were talking about re: the "curvy" look until I cranked up my monitor brightness.  The lesson there is that, if you don't like some elements of the new look, start using a crappy old CRT at 10% brightness, and you won't notice that anything at all has changed. :p

As far as the rest of the stuff goes, it doesn't feel right to make any comments at this point, since I'm not even sure if stuff like the button font and news header background and stuff is the intended appearance, or just a result of things not being set right yet after the forum upgrade.  My res is too low to trigger the fixed-width posts, so I can't comment there, but I do feel like it's the sort of thing I'd prefer to have an option for, instead of being locked into one particular width.  As for the floating menu at the top...color me not a fan.  Those are the sorts of things that I tend to immediately minimize/close on any site I visit if I'm able to, as they take up screen real estate that I'd much prefer be used by something else.  I very rarely have to use those particular links during my daily forum-browsing, so if I need one of them, I have no problem with just scrolling up to the top of the page.  In addition, the bar seems to be covering the very top of the first unread post in a thread when jumping straight to it, which is certainly less than ideal.

Also I liked the mouse-over drop-down menus, because mobile browsers can suck it. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
My only concern about the new design is that the dark-grey text like the writing above the quick reply box is very difficult to read against a dark red or black background.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
I've got to run, so I can't reply in detail, but here's my list so far:

- Deeper darker News Bar colors
- Fluid/fixed width toggle?
- Static/Fixed navbar?
- Smaller navbar?
- lightbox-esque script for images
- Signature mouseovers
- Button font?
- Messy area above quick reply

With the two toggle options I listed, if someone can find a mod for SMF that allows custom per-user preferences, I'll gladly make each of those a per-user setting. Otherwise, it'll have to be one-size fits all - whichever that one size ends up being. :p

EDIT: Restored width to see who makes a fuss with it this way. :p

Also, the dark curved boxes around each post have been there for months. You guys... :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, I will say that I didn't like the floating navbar at first... but it's been nothing but useful since. No more scrolling to get to the wiki/mantis. I could definitely get used to it's look given how useful it's been.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I was wondering what the heck was going on when I tried to check the boards and got a malware warning from my Chromium-engine browser. Interesting.

Can't say I care too much about the aesthetics of a website as long as everything works the way it should, so you probably won't hear any complaints from me one way or another. The variable-width is growing on me, though. I like feeling that there's a reason I switched from 1680x1050 to 1920x1080.  :ick:

EDIT: Restored width to see who makes a fuss with it this way. :p

I won't make a fuss, but I simply state that I like fixed width more than endlessly long lines.   :nervous:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I just use CTRL-Mouse Wheel if the text is playing with my head ;)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
In case people are curious, what I've been doing was removing our reliance on some old scripts that may have had vulnerabilities, and converting the site's layout over to something more reliable. Right now I'm doing macro stuff. Later I might start on the micro (white text boxes, etc), but no guarantees.

EDIT: the nav bar will likely remain as-is for the forseeable future. What puny screen resolutions are you browsing in?

The Nav bar looks fine on my end - I barely noticed it staying at the top while I've been scrolling through the past three pages of posts - and my screen resolution is 1280x800.

One other thing. I'm not sure if it has been there since the last appearance upgrade, but the current change of colour when you hover over a link is quite nice.

A little redundant encouragement from somebody whose activity has been dropping off from here for some time due to real life: an interface upgrade coupled with a script upgrade takes more time than it might seem. As long as the forums are readable, there is no rush. You'll finish it eventually.

Have I ever mentioned before that this current theme contains shades of the previous one? That's a good thing.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Yay the long lines are back <3 <3
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
With the two toggle options I listed, if someone can find a mod for SMF that allows custom per-user preferences, I'll gladly make each of those a per-user setting.

So, as always, if you want something done right, do it yourself. Or, in this case, find someone who's solved the problem already and copy them. Soooooo...... ;) Go here and scroll to the bottom: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?action=profile;area=theme

The Serious Code Wizard Strikes Again!

(EDIT: If something's not behaving as expected, try force-refreshing first - I had to modify the CSS files to accomplish this, and they tend to be cached overly enthusiastically at times. ;) )
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
hooray!

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
cool liking a lot, one request though, is any chance of having a hover delay/time setting for the menu trigger? I would like to have a 1 or 2 second delay between mouse over and the menu triggering to minimise unwanted activation
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
choice is good - thanks!  :) :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...