Author Topic: Rethinking Posts  (Read 15799 times)

Much better, it stays out of the way when you don't need it, and doesn't do anything you don't want it to.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If you absolutely must have some expandy thing... I would suggest a lot less 'BAM I'M A BUTTON! LOOK AT ME LIGHT-UP!

Honestly, after a few days of longer sig areas, I was completely fine with it. Mostly because all the stuff that pops in and out, lights up, darkens, and whatever animations that seem to go on when I scroll are really distracting. It was nice to have less of that for a little while. But please make a choice and stick with it. I've had to update my sig every single time (I don't want my to need to expand) because every single time the visible length changes.

EDIT: For example, when I first made my sig, it was 3 lines at regular font. Then the area got slightly larger, so I went with 4 lines smaller font. Now it seems we are down to slightly more than 2 lines at regular font. Make up your mind, man.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:00:48 pm by mjn.mixael »
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
If you absolutely must have some expandy thing... I would suggest a lot less 'BAM I'M A BUTTON! LOOK AT ME LIGHT-UP!

Honestly, after a few days of longer sig areas, I was completely fine with it. Mostly because all the stuff that pops in and out, lights up, darkens, and whatever animations that seem to go on when I scroll are really distracting. It was nice to have less of that for a little while. But please make a choice and stick with it. I've had to update my sig every single time (I don't want my to need to expand) because every single time the visible length changes.

EDIT: For example, when I first made my sig, it was 3 lines at regular font. Then the area got slightly larger, so I went with 4 lines smaller font. Now it seems we are down to slightly more than 2 lines at regular font. Make up your mind, man.

Look, you... :p I've been doing my best to figure out the sig thing, based on feedback from everyone. Nothing has been set in stone, even now, so stop updating your sig until I say you can, y'hear? ;)

On a slightly more serious note... the sigs are about as small as I'd be comfortable with right now; do you think they should be taller? Perhaps 1.5-2x or so?

Also, you should be much more please with the popping in and out of the post links now. ;)

EDIT: Also, be glad I restrained myself from doing this: http://css-tricks.com/examples/DifferentTransitionsOnOff/
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I'm liking the current set up, well done!
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I think good work has been done.  :yes:
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The times I updated my sig were not in the last few days, but just over the course of your changes since the new layout was rolled out. I fully realize that's only once every few months.. But, how often does the forum layout/look/feel really need to be messed with?

I mean, we already know HLPers are a stubborn lot with how they take FSU upgrades.... Stop messin with mah forums. I just got used to it. :p

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I liked it the other way better, with the whole sig displayed.  I really have to wonder if the post-content-to-viewing-space ratio is really in so much need of precision fine tuning.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I liked it the other way better, with the whole sig displayed.  I really have to wonder if the post-content-to-viewing-space ratio is really in so much need of precision fine tuning.

On desktop\laptop screens, probably not, but in mobile there was definitely a problem in some cases.

[attachment deleted by ninja]
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Pfff, that just means Sandwich's sig is too long.  No reason the rest of us should have to "suffer" for it!

Suffer used in jest.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This method also leaves quite a bit of blanks space between the top of the Sig box and the first Sig text line.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
It does indeed; white-space is not a bad thing. Also, just FYI, I'm posting from my phone and I see there are optimizations to be made. I hope to get to those tonight perhaps.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I didn't know Sandwich had signature that ridiculous as I have sigs disabled. I think that no signature should exceed length of sensible post, which Sandwich's does by a mile and then some. Wasn't there supposed to be character limit to sigs?

Also, currently layout of user profile view is broken. You can only see half of first line of signature.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I like the signatures!  Hmm, but for others, how about an addition to the signature on / off switch so it becomes on (always open) / collapsible / off?   If you feel like it anyways.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Wasn't there supposed to be character limit to sigs?

2000 characters. For reference, a visual illustration of 2000 characters using just the humble x. (We could probably jettison 500/1000 and nobody would notice.)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Seems small. Increase it to 10^4.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
2000 characters. For reference, a visual illustration of 2000 characters using just the humble x. (We could probably jettison 500/1000 and nobody would notice.)
That's default limit yeah. It was shortened to something much less when I was still an admin. Perhaps that change has been reverted, though I see no good reason to do that. Sigs aren't supposed to be longer than most posts for chrissakes.

Offline Luis Dias

And please never allow pics in the signature.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
after a day of consideration, i think the new sig boxes look bad.  it's better than the auto-expanding box, but displaying the whole thing like it was a couple days ago was the best so far.  this one displays three lines, cutting off half of the bottom one.  the expand button takes up almost as much vertical space as the displayed part of the sig, and i agree that the flashing is kinda annoying.  the button also remains even if the sig fits in the box.  the bit i find the worst about it though is that it leaves a LOT of empty space below it on short posts for people who have badges or images.  i find the occasional really long sig less jarring than the flashing expand button and empty space in an odd place.

edit: ok so i see the 'expand' doesn't light up like a christmas tree anymore, but the same applies to the other buttons on posts.  they don't need to be blacked out.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 04:43:35 pm by Klaustrophobia »
I like to stare at the sun.

I like the current setup :yes: Never did like sigs bigger than posts.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am guessing the char limit reverted during the forum upgrade.

as for the sig style again I think I prefered the show all method but perhaps cut the char limit down to 750-1000

edit
or would it be better (if possible) to limit the number of lines the sig can use?
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art