Author Topic: What are you playing right now?  (Read 613969 times)

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Re: What are you playing right now?
Sky Rogue (PC)
Wow, for a roguelike this gave me a good first impression (bar the tendency to randomly assign the throttle to player 2 for some reason).
I played for almost two hours before eventually getting killed because I was having too much fun downing helicarriers to actually pay attention to the swarm of enemy fighters around me, whoops.
I also like the simple pseudo goraud shaded graphics.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
That actually looks like a lot of fun - if you don't mind me asking, what are the supported controllers?

...It would be nice if this had a GOG release or a direct download.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
That actually looks like a lot of fun - if you don't mind me asking, what are the supported controllers?

...It would be nice if this had a GOG release or a direct download.

It uses the same Unity controller plug in of House of The Dying Sun so basically anything provided you go in the options and bind every button and axis manually (there are separate bindings submenus for game and menu which is nice), but the game is primarily made with an xbox gamepad in mind.
The only issue is that if using multiple devices it reassigns one of them to "player 2" for coop and you need to reassign it every time before going in the game proper.
It does remember everything else mind you, it's just the assignment that somehow gets reset everytime you run the game or go back to the main menu but the bindings are saved just fine.
IIRC they sell it also on itch.io so perhaps they have a direct download there.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 08:15:27 pm by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Finally finished my Pillars of Eternity 2-run over the break, after the second DLC turned me off from the game for a while (the usual cRPG problem when control spells/abilites just make combat a chore). The ending was paradoxically somewhat anticlimactic and yet deeply satisfying, as in it was the consequence of all my choices throughout the playthrough but I would have liked to get a some setpiece out of it.

I also took on Control, which easily de-throned Sekiro as my personal GOTY.

And now I am starting in on The Last of Us -- at present I don't see the attraction yet but I have only just started.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Sky Rogue (PC)
And so the roguelike curse struck again. I got just once to the final level and rather easily, got blindsided and since then I never managed to get there again because I always manage to make a silly mistake like clockwork, sometimes even in the first few islands. You can spend tech points to start later but the game only gives you a mere fraction of the money you would normally accumulate by playing the game from the start with the result you get pitted against end game enemies but with a plane that is barely better than starting level.
I'll probably put it off and try again at a later date (it's already a couple of days I'm trying to get back to the last island) but boy I'm more and more convinced that roguelikes are for people with masochistic tendencies or that hate fun.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Decided to try out the PC version of Airport City after watching and liking this trailer. Free-to-play mechanics aside, I actually like the game enough that I'll continue playing it.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I've been playing both Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Team Fortress 2, both free-to-play titles on Steam, since I've gotten a new laptop.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

It's Wing Commander: Privateer. Except this time it has controller support and a pool minigame.

Also some kickass tunes :D

Still playing Neverwinter quite a bit while watching videos on the side during the week, their mega-overhaul really gave the game a new life in my eyes. The one big downside is that the poor old Warlock class - whose primary defense mechanism was the now-removed lifesteal, is a bit too fragile as both a healer and a dps.

I've also kept playing Alpha Centauri, leading to a few amusing games, such as being a Democratic, Green, Knowledge-valuing Spartan whose most faithful (heh) friends are the Knowledge-hating Believers, while being back-stabbed by the Democratic-loving Peacekeepers and Green-loving Gaians, and other such shenanigans. It's one of those games where you can really have fun with weird or crazy strategies. In any case, it finally convinced to give the Civilization series a shot. Which leads me to ...

Civilization 4 : I heard it was the closest to SAC thanks to its Civics system being inspired by the old Social Engineering choices, and so far it's been going well. I like how the included an in-game alarm clock to prevent you from getting one-more-turned into a dried-out husk :). I don't miss the unit workshop as much as I thought, thought I haven't done much fighting so far. I am however a bit saddened that I picked one of the few Civ game that doesn't include climate change, I always thought it was a clever tool to shake up the status quo (even without mind worms). I am highly amused by the fact that the game includes a space elevator wonder in the late game. I mean wow, that's late mid-game, early late-game secret project in AlCen.
That game also confirmed something I long suspected, which is just how crazy-powerful SAC's terraformers are compared to the Civ workers.

Last week, I also started playing Stellaris. That game is ****ing evil, I spend like 12 hours on it in my first session, and it gobbled two more days afterwards before I started getting it under control. Aside from that, there isn't much that I actually dislike about the game, except maybe being so overwhelming. Then again, that's par for the course for that type of video game, it takes a few playthroughs to get your bearings.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
The Beginner's Guide (PC)
Quite a reversal of perspective from The Stanley Parable, we get from a game about games to a game about the game makers and players or rather how a game reflects both of them.
It's also quite different in tone too, less humour and more quiet drama.

I've also finished Mysteries of The Sith (PC)
Much less cohesive compared to Jedi Knight, the levels also seem a bit too in love with secret passages but this might be that I only got to play it a few years ago so I don't have it memorized like the original Jedi Knight.

Much less cohesive compared to Jedi Knight, the levels also seem a bit too in love with secret passages but this might be that I only got to play it a few years ago so I don't have it memorized like the original Jedi Knight.

I recall it being sort of overwhelming with the amount of area's you could discover once you beat the Inital level. Made poor younger me very confused.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain

I recall it being sort of overwhelming with the amount of area's you could discover once you beat the Inital level. Made poor younger me very confused.

That tricky final boss though...... Took so much force lightning to kill  :nervous:

Have been dipping my toes into.... Into the breach.   

Roguealike mechs vs monsters where the objective is focused on mitigating collateral damage.   Loads of novel weaponry mechanic too.

Love it 👍. Just don't have time to commit to anything which is why I'm going for these quick and dirty titles lately that I can get a ten minute fix from.  Before kids/wife/dogs/house/work demand my precious life hours 😂😂😭😭
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Do not have much time to play games lately... and when i have, i am mostly playing Halo: Master Chief Collection on PC only.

Never liked the MP part of Halo on 360... but liked the Halo: Custom Edition on PC fifteen years ago. And yes, it is still working good in this Remake.

Have the most fun in a mp-shooter since the first Titanfall, which is still better, but is simply dead unfortunately.
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

That tricky final boss though...... Took so much force lightning to kill  :nervous:

Spoiler:
Kyle Katarn you mean? You ain't supposed to kill him, just turn off your lightsaber.

The levels seemed to be overall more convoluted than the base game to me, and I can't decide if they deliberately made some switches and breakable stuff less distinguishable or just are bad at signposting it, the asteroid base had me running in circles for quite some time before I noticed the breakable switch in a secret passage I had already been in.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 07:36:25 am by Det. Bullock »

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress

Spoiler:
Kyle Katarn you mean? You ain't supposed to kill him, just turn off your lightsaber.

I knew that 😂😝😉
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Do not have much time to play games lately... and when i have, i am mostly playing Halo: Master Chief Collection on PC only.

Never liked the MP part of Halo on 360... but liked the Halo: Custom Edition on PC fifteen years ago. And yes, it is still working good in this Remake.

Have the most fun in a mp-shooter since the first Titanfall, which is still better, but is simply dead unfortunately.

H:CE maps were the shizzle (if occasionally glitchy).  They all still work?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
All hail blood gulch.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Finished the The Last of Us - I can see the attractiong, even an almost ciritical ammount of the visual story telling was not effecting me as was clearly intended (guess I don't feel bad about the destruction of "quaint american suburbs" as much as the devs do)

Currently on-going with The Outer Worlds - If you liked Bioshock (1) mashed with FO:NV it's your game; If you have been around people who self-describe themselves as "anti-capitalist" as much as I have, it will feel really familiar.
I was somewhat worried at the announcement that it would be another of those "space-western'y balads about the noble frontiersman" but with retro-pulp sci-fi coat of paint (which is gourgeous, mind you), however it turns out it really a good deal of fun in the sense of a well executed, witty satire.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Recently Middle Earth: Shadow of War since I missed it the first time. And the Ace Combat 7 DLC.
Speaking of which, if anyone is hankering for their Freespace action, I can't recommend it enough. The three missions are absolutely furious in intensity with amazing music.

Don't you see? Don't you see?!

1. Salvation
2. of
3. crisp white sheets
4. an elegant
5. massacre
6. upon
7. the cage
8. continents

Seriously, though, AC7 is definitely up there with the holy trinity. Though my favourite Ace Combat in terms of atmosphere is actually 6, as it shows the sheer scale of an all-out war.

I've also watched a friend play Outer Worlds, and I like to think it is set in an alternative Fallout universe in which the Great War did not happen. I mean, even the "anti-capitalist" part reminds me of the stuff you can read in the Boston Bugle building in Fallout 4. Both universes seem to tell us that the Communists may be all dictators and tyrants, but the free world... also pretty much isn't.

Currently playing Humans Fall Flat with 4 other people, had a minor field day when we found out that we can dress up as Hong Kong protesters. Though I later ended up wearing an orange spacesuit and jumping down from tall places like Rosa does.