Author Topic: RELEASE: Derelict 3.7  (Read 50782 times)

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
RELEASE: Derelict 3.7

DOWNLOADS

Core Package - 17.5 MB; just download it into your fs2 main folder

Voice Acting Package - 212 MB; download it into your Derelict folder

If you already have the Derelict SCP version Blaise Russel released back in 2006 you do not have to download the VA files. However, you should delete DerelictSCP.vp,DerelictPatch.vp and DerelictSCPPatch.vp from your Derelict folder then.

The only files in your Derelict folder should be:
- Derelict_3_7.vp
- DerelictSCP1.vp
- DerelictSCP2.vp
- DerelictSCP3.vp
- DerelictSCP4.vp
- mod.ini
- Derelict.bmp

!! Important !!The most recent iteration has been tested using this build and the MediaVPs 2014. If you encounter any problems I strongly recommend switching to that particular configuration before reporting a possible error. And please have a look into the mod.ini before you start and check out if the mediavps folder name in the "secondrylist" line matches yours! Still, any and all bug reports are welcome, of course. !! Important !!

Special thanks goes to:
- Darkblade for re-doing part of his voice acting
- Betrayal for providing the HTL Saphah

After seven years, I thought, it is time to give this old lady another facelift. If you discover any flaws, bugs or the like just report back to me.

Have fun. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 05:10:34 am by SF-Junky »

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: RELEASE: Derelict 3.7.0
Woah :D, this one of the queens of campaigns deserved for a facelift like no other. Downloading!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Wow! Nice to see this upgraded. Happy to play this next week!

Thank U!

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Hey look who's back!

Nice campaign, thanks for taking the time to update it.
el hombre vicio...

Thanks for your efforts.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
I was just thinking the other day I should replay this campaign. Thank you! I'll be checking this out later.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
1) What's new in this version?

2) There were two patches, DerelictSCPPatch and DerelictPatch.  I don't think you incorporated the changes from the second one.  (It's even linked in big red letters in the original thread!)

This is very cool; I've played Derelict quite a few times but wouldn't mind another. I'm interested in what has been changed.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
There were also two files that were added when the upgrade was being done earlier by the FSCRP that I don't see in the upgrade folder.   
A voice file in the special folder -  dl08_a2a
and a cbanim file - 2_cb_artemisdh
I didn't look closely at the mod.ini and started playing the campaign.  Since I had the old media files still installed it does appear to work with the 3.6.10 media VPs.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline Lorric

I also am curious about the changes. I believe I got into the teens mission wise in this campaign, so it will be returned to someday.

Offline Macfie

In mission d1-08 There is a message that doesn't have a voice file.  Currently the mission has a message Alpha 2A that refers to a message file wa.ogg.  This file is not in the voice files.  This was the one that was added as  dl08_a2a.  I attached the file.  You could modify the mission to refer to this voice file or modify the file name to wa.ogg

[attachment deleted by ninja]
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline SF-Junky

1) What's new in this version?
Tons of smaller bugs and flaws deleted, loading screen brought to high res, starfield.pof added.

2) There were two patches, DerelictSCPPatch and DerelictPatch.  I don't think you incorporated the changes from the second one.  (It's even linked in big red letters in the original thread!)
You're absolutely right, I totally overlooked that there's a second patch. :nervous: I'll see to get this incorporated asap. Same goes for the missing files, Macfie. Thank you for them. I didn't even know there's been a FSCRP upgrade, nothing was in the forums except a request thread with loose ends.

Offline Macfie

The upgrade was on the open portion of the FSCRP board and was fairly active until the end of 2011.
see http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=71619.0
The updated stuff from the work that had been completed is on the FTP account for the FSCRP along with a testing list of problems.  I think most of the changes were relatively minor.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
So, should I delete the DerelictPatch.vp file or not? Or only the files listed in the OP?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline SF-Junky

I'd recommend to delete the DerelictPatch.vp, too, yes.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
In addition to the mission fixes, which may have been superseded, DerelictPatch.vp contains dl29_cb3.ogg, which you should keep.  This is a version of one of the command briefing voice files that includes some post-processing that the original voice file left out.

SF-Junky, if you add this file to Derelict_3_7.vp, and you ensure that the other mission fixes are accounted for, then you can deprecate DerelictPatch.vp.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:34:24 am by Goober5000 »

I was one of the people working on upgrading Derelict until I burned out.  Lost my drive to play FreeSpace and haven't found it since.

Aside from grammar fixes there were two notable additions.  A command brief animation for the Artemis DH made by mjn and a voice file that was missing from the original campaign release.  I believe I have both files on my hard drive if you need them.  They SHOULD also be on the FSCRP FTP servers.  The files on the FTP should also have the grammar changes I made.  There should be a log on the FTP server indicating what I changed.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:35:16 pm by Aurora Paradox »

Offline Kie99

Glad someone's decided to do this, I was playing it a couple of months ago and there were some things that really took me out of it, most notable the Luxor station being completely ****ed up.  Glad to see that one's fixed now, but there were a couple of others I noticed that are still there.

I don't know how easy it would be to fix but the Nyarlathotep's Knossos was originally reskinned to look Shivan.  Mackie makes a comment on it in the mission where it's first brought in, says it's clearly of Shivan design, but in the SCP version (and this more recent one) it's identical to the the Ancient one.  I assume this is down to the PCX files being superseded by DDS or whichever format's in use now.

Also, in "The Enemy of my Enemy", among others, the Auriga's long range beam runs out well before it comes into contact with any ship but the ship is still destroyed, it just looks weird.  As far as I know it's a function of the Auriga's main beam having too short a range in it's table entry, when Derelict was originally released all beams went for 30,000 metres regardless of their specified range, at some point this was changed so that the effect fades away to nothing at the end of the beam's range.  I think it'd be fixed if you created a new weapon table entry that's the same as the LRBGreen but with a much longer range, but I couldn't say for sure.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline SF-Junky

Hm, I never had any problems with the Shivan Knossos. It always looked Shivan to me. The issue with the beams has already been resolved in my version.

I now finally got the stuff from the FSCRP server and started to deal with the bugs they wrote down. However, I won't get this finished until next weekend because university starts tomorrow.

Offline Kie99

Hm, I never had any problems with the Shivan Knossos. It always looked Shivan to me. The issue with the beams has already been resolved in my version.

I now finally got the stuff from the FSCRP server and started to deal with the bugs they wrote down. However, I won't get this finished until next weekend because university starts tomorrow.

Right you are, turns out I had my configuration wrong in the launcher.  Nice job  :yes:.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"