Author Topic: RELEASE: Derelict 3.7  (Read 50782 times)

Offline noretoc

Re: RELEASE: Derelict 3.7
I don't remember the Auriga coming in.  I will play it again tonight and check.
using fs2_open_3_7_1_SSE_20150119_r11221
I have Mediavps2014 but I don't think the mod is set to use it.
mod ini says:
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,mediavps_3612;

That is the way it came.

You have older version of Derelict.

Offline noretoc

Can someone point me to the new version then, because the link in this thread goes to the version I am playing.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
mod ini says:
[multimod]
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,mediavps_3612;

That is the way it came.
Change the mod.ini to
primarylist  = ;
secondrylist = ,MediaVPs_2014;
It may be the combination of using the newer exe file with the 3612 mediavps that's causing the problem.

The Auriga should arrive after Maul wing and the cruiser Hephaestus are destroyed and the swift sure is > 1000 meters from the event horison
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline noretoc

Tried this, but still no luck.  The Auriga never shows up.  After the event Horizon is destroyed, and the Hephaestus is destroyed all that's left is maul wing.  I clean them up and the cypher just sits there.  no other ships come in, and the cyphus never goes anywhere.  Is there anyway to bypass the mission, I would really like to see the rest of the campaign.

Offline Lorric

Get yourself killed 5 times (replaying after each death) and you should get the option to skip the mission.

Or if you press CTRL+SHIFT+S in the campaign missions part of the techroom it will open up all the missions to play in there and then you can just work your way down the list from where you left off one by one.

Offline Macfie

• If somebody made a campaign I've probably got it
Tried this, but still no luck.  The Auriga never shows up.  After the event Horizon is destroyed, and the Hephaestus is destroyed all that's left is maul wing.  I clean them up and the cypher just sits there.  no other ships come in, and the cyphus never goes anywhere.  Is there anyway to bypass the mission, I would really like to see the rest of the campaign.

There's your problem.  You let the event horizon get destroyed.  It is supposed to still be present.  The Auriga is supposed to destroy it.
The destruction of the Event Horizon is preventing the events from occuring.
Normal people believe that if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it isn't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.
The difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers is:
Mechanical Engineers build weapons.  Civil Engineers build targets
An optimist sees the glass half full; the pessimist sees it half empty. An engineer sees that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Offline maquise

• Steam
Is there a way to go back to Resupply and Revelation from Striking the Line? I didn't bring Trebuchets and now I can't take out the Lillith's beam weapon no matter how hard I try.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Unfortunately, no.  This is a limitation of the red-alert system which the original designers did not consider.

Your only solution here is to use cheats.  I recommend either using `9 to switch your secondary weapons or `k to kill the cruiser outright.

There is also a "skipmemymissionyo" cheat which allows "rewinding" the campaign to any mission, but I would not recommend using this as it has not been thoroughly tested.  You would run the risk of corrupting your entire campaign progress if there's an unexpected bug.

Perhabs it should be fixed one day. Is it impossible even on very easy difficulty?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It depends on the pilot's health, weapon loadout, skill, and location.  It's probably possible for some players to take out the turret by spamming Tempests.

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
Why can't you just replay the previous mission from the briefing screen and again do the same in the previous mission? Thereby you should be able to get back to the first mission in the red alert streak.

Also a funny coincidence this thread has been brought back up now, because Scroll of Atankarzim having whet my appetite, I felt like re-playing Derelict - which I did over the past couple of days.

In a first instance, it was nice to see that it plays well with the most recent MediaVPs and builds. One of the advantages of having a campaign which uses virtually no mods and no SCP features. I found plenty of smaller bugs which would make it worth giving this old lady another facelift - it's been seven years since the last one after all. I openly admit, though, that I'm too lazy to do it know. ;)

Boy, this thing is ancient. :) When was it acutally originally released? I remember the first mission of the second act being available as a single mission in one of the official versions of FS2. Man, I still was a child back then and had no idea that there are people out there making entire campaigns. I didn't find out until years later that this mission was actually part of something much larger.

I bet, Derelict is definitely the oldest campaign which is still being played regularly by a significant number of players. As they should, because this is certainly one of the great masterpieces this community has to offer. Yes, technically Derelict is probably below any standard modern-age campaigns have set, but like with all classics there some magic to it. That special charm. Be it the great and unique storyline, Mackies cynicism, or simply the sometimes horribly bad voice acting sound quality, it all comes together within a large role of tuct tape to something none of theser newer days' campaigns can achieve despite all the cool new features and shiny models they bring. I can't describe it, I'd say nobody can, but I'd also say everybody knows what I mean.

Derelict. If you don't like this one, stop playing FreeSpace. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:35:40 pm by SF-Junky »

Offline CT27

Why can't you just replay the previous mission from the briefing screen and again do the same in the previous mission? Thereby you should be able to get back to the first mission in the red alert streak.

Also a funny coincidence this thread has been brought back up now, because Scroll of Atankarzim having whet my appetite, I felt like re-playing Derelict - which I did over the past couple of days.

In a first instance, it was nice to see that it plays well with the most recent MediaVPs and builds. One of the advantages of having a campaign which uses virtually no mods and no SCP features. I found plenty of smaller bugs which would make it worth giving this old lady another facelift - it's been seven years since the last one after all. I openly admit, though, that I'm too lazy to do it know. ;)

Boy, this thing is ancient. :) When was it acutally originally released? I remember the first mission of the second act being available as a single mission in one of the official versions of FS2. Man, I still was a child back then and had no idea that there are people out there making entire campaigns. I didn't find out until years later that this mission was actually part of something much larger.

I bet, Derelict is definitely the oldest campaign which is still being played regularly by a significant number of players. As they should, because this is certainly one of the great masterpieces this community has to offer. Yes, technically Derelict is probably below any standard modern-age campaigns have set, but like with all classics there some magic to it. That special charm. Be it the great and unique storyline, Mackies cynicism, or simply the sometimes horribly bad voice acting sound quality, it all comes together within a large role of tuct tape to something none of theser newer days' campaigns can achieve despite all the cool new features and shiny models they bring. I can't describe it, I'd say nobody can, but I'd also say everybody knows what I mean.

Derelict. If you don't like this one, stop playing FreeSpace. :)

Overall I love Derelict too.  It blends together things like day-to-day minor operations and major fleet actions well.

I actually liked the voice acting, it gave each of your wingmen personalities:
Alpha 2 (Mackie)-cynical sarcastic vet
Alpha 3-eager young rookie
Alpha 4-by the book vet

The only main criticism I have of Derelict is that the two subplots they introduced (1-MT and 2-Mysterious force that got an Iceni somehow at the end) didn't really go anywhere or get resolved fully.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Yeah, I have to say I like the wingmen's personalities too. Mackie is a laugh riot with his caustic wit. I'm still playing through Derelict for the first time; I'm about to play "Said the Spider to the Fly" currently.

My question is this: Is there a way to play Derelict with the current MediaVPs? My version of Derelict only has the 3.8 MediaVPS enabled, not 4.3.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The only main criticism I have of Derelict is that the two subplots they introduced (1-MT and 2-Mysterious force that got an Iceni somehow at the end) didn't really go anywhere or get resolved fully.

The Cypher/GTVI Insurrection thing was going to be explored in BWO. I think that was the campaign, at least. We probably would have seen the resolution of the Morgan Technologies subplot, too.

And I hate that voice for Alpha 3. He sounds too young despite my voice being much deeper than that at the time. I hit puberty years earlier, dammit.

My question is this: Is there a way to play Derelict with the current MediaVPs? My version of Derelict only has the 3.8 MediaVPS enabled, not 4.3.

You'll have to edit the .json file to use the new MediaVPs. It's super simple, you're just changing the version numbers in Notepad.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 10:23:27 pm by Cobra »
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

The red-alert system only remembers one previous mission.  I made the very same mistaken assumption when I first played Derelict, for the same reason.

Boy, this thing is ancient. :) When was it acutally originally released?

October 15, 2000.  https://web.archive.org/web/20020210141403/http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/derelict/

Y'all should also check out "Welcome to the Boonies" on Knossos, which has the original Derelict voice acting.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Alpha 2's Australian as ****, and Lonewolf probably wears a ten-gallon hat. :lol:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I dunno if this had anything to do with the original Derelict voice actors, but I do remember a very early Fresspace mod where a voice-acted wingman kept saying "They're on me like white on rice!" in a hilariously over-the-top boonies accent.

Oddly enough, I think I remember hearing several characters in some of the Wing Commander games saying exactly the same phrase....
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline SF-Junky

• Bread can mold, what can you do?
To be clear about this: I was only refering to the quality of some of the sound files. Especially the speaker of Tom Faulkner seemed to have really sub-optimal equipment at hand. :lol: The voice actors all did a great job, especially Ransom Arceihn. I can see why Cobra might not be 100% happy with his voice, but I like this juvenile sound. It's a nice contrast to Alpha 2, reflecting the difference between the two characters: here the hardened veteran, there the greenhorn. Again, it's one of those things those polished modern-age campaigns might not dare doing. But as I said, these were the old days. Campaign developers did a lot more tinkering back then. Another example would be Wayfarer station. Today, we would simply put an Asteria or a Lycaon in there or any other new model. Back then all those mods were not available so they had to put something together and made up a nice background story in the process. And I simply love it to look back at those old days every now and then.

Disclaimer: Yeah, I might be a little over-sentimental, but what dafuq. I'm old enough for it. :p