Author Topic: Brian Smith has died.  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Talon 1024

• How do you turn this on?
    • Mods, Games, and Stuff
Brian Smith has died.
He has unfortunately passed away on October 14, 2007.  He was a fantastic artist who created a plethora of extremely high-detail 3D models for the following games:

- Wing Commander 2
- Wing Commander 3
- Wing Commander 4
- Wing Commander Privateer
- Super Wing Commander
- Longbow

May he be remembered as a god of Wing Commander.  All of his work is available for download at the Wing Commander CIC on his online memorial.

Even if the rendered bitmaps from Wing Commander 2 and Privateer were scaled up 100 times, you still would not see all the details in his models.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 07:10:25 pm by Talon 1024 »
To understand religion, you need to understand morality first. | WCSaga website | WCSaga Forum | 158th website | 158th forum | Project Leader: WC: Hostile Frontier | WCHF Thread at CIC | Wing Blender | Twist of Fate | Multipart turrets on angled surfaces, tutorial included. | My Google Drive stuff | To convert speeds from WC to WCS, multiply both the cruise speed and the Afterburner speed by 0.15625 (5/32)

FS2 Mods I'm waiting on: Inferno 10th Anniversary
Current Project: Contestant Android app, Learn4Life iOS app, Blender Commander (importer).
The FreeSpace Font Foundry is back in action!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Re: Brian Smith has died.
Sad news, Wing Commander was the game that created the Space-Opera inside the gaming market, not expanded on from elsewhere, and will always be a special game for it, it is people like this that formed the first line of turning computer media into something more than a game and into a story.

Wing Commander, iirc, was one of the first experimentations in blending Acting and Rendered scenes, so this man was, in many ways, a pioneer.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Wing commander certainly created the 3d space shooter, but to be fair I can think of at least one space opera that predates it. See what you can find about star control 2 (or the win32 ported version called "the ur-quan masters")
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Sad news, Wing Commander was the game that created the Space-Opera inside the gaming market, not expanded on from elsewhere, and will always be a special game for it, it is people like this that formed the first line of turning computer media into something more than a game and into a story.

Wing Commander, iirc, was one of the first experimentations in blending Acting and Rendered scenes, so this man was, in many ways, a pioneer.

True.  I loved the WC games back then, and I still do (Only have WC3 on PS1 nowadays, as I lost WC1 when I moved out of the **** Shack in 2004, and I lost WC2 when I was 10-ish. :(  Never owned WC4, and I never exactly liked Prophcey a whole lot.  I don't hate, it's pretty good, but I guess.... it's just a bit different from the earlier games.  Although I love the TCS Midway.)

What a shame that the man died.  RIP Brain Smith.

How old was he and what did he die of?