Author Topic: Fixing A MS FF Pro Joystick for XP / 7 aka gameport solution  (Read 8392 times)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
Fixing A MS FF Pro Joystick for XP / 7 aka gameport solution
Ok so I imagine a few people around here still have a gameport joystick laying around...
particularly the old Microsoft Sidewinder sticks were all sorts of awesome back in the day.

I've got a MS FF Pro, the original one with the big motors in the bottom you can arm wrestle with.
It's not seen use in 11 years, poor thing sits lonely with nothing to do, so I set about how to get it working again.

The problem with the MS sticks prior to USB, is that no one came up with custom drivers that could send the right signals
for the force feedback to work. Regular USB/gameport converters also don't have the right pin setups either, due to MS using
a non standard arrangement in the drivers. There is however another option, you could breakout the breadboards and put together
a custom $80 gameport converter box.... there are non FF drivers for that... but honestly who wants to pay that much to get your classic
stick back?

So my solution, find yourself a nice old Sound Blaster Live! PCI audio card with a gameport. I'd suggest the SB0220 as it was one of the last made.
You can look up some information on the various models below, but do note that Dell put out a card with a different chipset, that is not compatible
with the drivers I'm about to discuss.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Blaster_Live!  Really you should be able to very easily get a Live! card for $5 to $10.
Just check which cards are compatible with the drivers though before you buy.

Once you get your card installed, download the beta drivers from the KX project - http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/

Install it, reboot, then go to your device manager and disable the sound card KX entry. You should have a separate entry for the Creative gameport.
The Live cards were ok for their time, but they are not as good as what you have as onboard sound today, so in the interests of keeping everything
happy and working, just disable the sound card part.  You can also use MSconfig, and remove the KX manager from your startup sequence.

Go back to your game controllers setup in the control panel, add a controller, and you should have an entry for Sidewinder Auto Detect. Hit that
and it should figure the rest out on its own. You can run a calibration if you want.

Now the above steps can be done as I wrote them on Win XP.  For Windows 7, from what I've read the KX drivers work fine, but the manager does not.
So again, you need to forcibly disable it, and you should be ok. The drivers claim to be compatible with Vista as well.

If you want the old Sidewinder software for some reason, it is here - http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24716

If your game doesn't have a bindable key config, try using Pinnacle Game Profiler, or xpadder. Xpadder should still have the older free versions floating around
the net somewhere.

Note that even with these steps, you won't have the force feedback return. The motors may be powered, but everyone out there that made drivers thought
it was too much work to reverse engineer the midi port signals that set off the FF.  So there isn't a solution still. This is just a really cheap way of getting your
old stick to work on XP through 7.

Happy flying.  :)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 03:37:02 pm by JGZinv »
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Fixing A MS FF Pro Joystick for XP / 7 aka gameport solution
I myself have 2 or 3 SB Live cards, but sadly there were never any 64-bit drivers made for them, so I couldnt use my gameport sidewinder 3d pro or old CH flightstick. Will be looking into those drivers as I would love to use that old 3D pro again.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline JGZinv

Not to necro a thread... but this is relevant and useful.

As a bit of an update to the first post, the KX audio drivers DO NOT work completely in Windows 7.
They will get the audio board working, pretty much everything except the gameport and your joystick.

However, I did come across a fix for 32 bit Vista and 7.

http://forums.creative.com/t5/Windows-7/Gameport-Driver-Support-Available-for-Windows-7-and-Vista/td-p/587115
http://lankshire.blogspot.com/2011/10/installing-creative-game-port-drivers.html

**Note that I still had KX drivers installed with all this, and they don't seem to hurt anything, it's unknown how related they
are to getting it working on 7**

The readme with the files says what to do, although part of it is written for Win XP, without saying as such.
Also note that I could not get Windows to update the driver manually when pointing it at the specified folders. What I had to do was point
it at the top level directory (I had all the folders in the top level directory of a USB stick) and let Windows figure it out on it's own.

After installing for the single Unknown PCI Input Device, it became a Creative Gameport. Scanning for new hardware produced another unknown
PCI device, did the same top level directory driver search, and it installed for my Sidewinder FF Pro. The stick was configurable in the Game Controllers
control panel, and went through a calibration just fine. 16 year old joystick in Win 7... not too shabby.

**Also note...  as explained on the two links above, no 64bit gameport driver was ever made to the author's knowledge, so 64 bit systems are out.**

Happy flying...

Hi, i am trying to do waht you did, but I am having a problem installing the driver for the Force Feedback pro joystick, it wont install? Any help?

Offline JGZinv

Um not really, I detailed what I did way back when...   Can you explain at what part yours is failing out?