Author Topic: "Flying through clouds" sim?  (Read 8112 times)

Re: "Flying through clouds" sim?
Thanks Herra (I've actually come across that website before; seems I didn't look too closely at it the first time).

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Would this Ultrapack mod happen to be for the Pacific Fighters / Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 set of games?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Would this Ultrapack mod happen to be for the Pacific Fighters / Il-2 Sturmovik 1946 set of games?

I think you need IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 version 4.09m (latest patch) before installing Ultrapack 2.0.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Wow, lots of replies to go through. Thanks guys!

To address the "what the hell made me think of this?" question - I've played a few flying games but haven't found one since Battlefield 1942 that really captures the feeling of flight / atmospherics properly. Some of what you guys have posted are a little too hardcore for me (I'm hoping for a happy medium between something like HAWX and something really hardcore. Anyways there's a lot of material here so I'll get started trying to find the best looking / playing!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic

To address the "what the hell made me think of this?" question - I've played a few flying games but haven't found one since Battlefield 1942 that really captures the feeling of flight / atmospherics properly. Some of what you guys have posted are a little too hardcore for me (I'm hoping for a happy medium between something like HAWX and something really hardcore. Anyways there's a lot of material here so I'll get started trying to find the best looking / playing!

I can definitely recommend IL-2 1946 then, it's cheap as dirt from GoG and it has a wide range of difficulty settings, which makes it actually fairly accommodating for starters.

In my opinion anyway. :p
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Guh... If you go for a heavy-duty sim, don't go with MSFS. X-Plane is a much better choice.  :yes:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce

HAWX I have to admit was pretty horrible and has no feeling of flight.  Ace Combat 6 is REALLY good for that considering it's still an arcade game. I love just flying around in the free flight mode sometimes.  Still IL-2 is the best... it is hardcore but with the settings you can easily turn off the hard bits and just have fun.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
HAWX I have to admit was pretty horrible and has no feeling of flight.  Ace Combat 6 is REALLY good for that considering it's still an arcade game. I love just flying around in the free flight mode sometimes.  Still IL-2 is the best... it is hardcore but with the settings you can easily turn off the hard bits and just have fun.

However, I'd like to say that you should always keep the stalls and spins as well as advanced engine management activated. It's half of the flying to not get into sticky situations and the rest is getting out of them alive. Deactivating realistic gunnery is probably the biggest difficulty increment, as is keeping engine overheating off.

Going into a perpetual backflip with a P-38 or F-86 is a horrible feeling, as you let your airspeed get too low in a vertical turn and the plane just lurches down, falling out of the sky... and getting out of that one takes a lot of altitude. Even normal spins are pretty hard to get out without letting it develope into a flat spin. :shaking:

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I find it funny that I can still stall (Not from low airspeed) with the stalls option off.

Getting the BF109Z (German version of the Twin Mustang) with five 30mm cannon rips stuff up. :D

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ace Combat looks great in graphical terms but it doesn't seem to be out for the PC so that's out (I should have specified that a lot earlier shouldn't I!). I may well check out IL2 though :)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yes! IL-2 is v. good. :)

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Damn it. :lol:

If you choose MS Flight Simulator X, you might be interested in the Active Sky weather add-on (see link below). There might be other similar such add-ons available too.

http://www2.hifisim.com/node/4

You should also try REX: http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/index.html
That or the HDE Clouds.
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995