Author Topic: One Question  (Read 5060 times)

Will BWO work with FS2 Retail? Or is it FS-open only??

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Right now - Open only.

They _may_ release a retail only version, but that's kinda doubtful - plus it'd kinda suck (we had the chance to compare old effects to new).

Bah! Foiled again!
Oh well, gotta upgrade sometime :)

I have FSOpen but when I played BR's Shrouding the Light it kept crashing at various points of the mission, so I'm thinking my overclocked to 450mhz doesn't cut it.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
You can turn effects on and off as wanted...FSO improves performance over FS retail.  What kills performance is all the new stuff we've added.

BWO doesn't need that stuff...you install it optionally.

You'll need our MODs, but they were mostly built for FS retail.  When I started BWO, I was using a PII 233.  Then I had a PIII 733, now I'm at a AMD 2700+.

A 450mhz...may be time to upgrade.  It can be done cheaply.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Well, I dunno, it was working okay but when I'd see an Aten explode or something it'd crash.

Also having the crosshairs two inches from the bottom left corner of my monitor didn't exactly improve my play experience.
I'd rather know where I have to shoot then have ships flying around with after burner trails.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Originally I was hoping that this would stick to kosher retail. But in the end, FS Open won because of a new of the new SEXPs needed ;)

Then we wound up adding more graphics doo-dads, etc.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
Well, I dunno, it was working okay but when I'd see an Aten explode or something it'd crash.

Also having the crosshairs two inches from the bottom left corner of my monitor didn't exactly improve my play experience.
I'd rather know where I have to shoot then have ships flying around with after burner trails.

Never seen that...
- IceFire

Well, i have the following:

AMD AthlonXP 2600+
1GB DDR PC2700
ATI Radeon 9800Pro
SB Audigy 2 Platinum

from ATI Catalyst 4.4, the shiny hull thing, doesn't work, is that a driver issue or your code which you haven't been able to fix?

Also, the game slowed right down to 1fps....which is really dumb considering i have seen games look FAR better and still run much faster, but then again Vampire - Bloodlines was crap (performance wise and graphics wise, especially since it used the source engine.)

Anyway, i hope you stick to it being an optional option because i gave up with FSOpen ages ago because the graphical upgrades were not worth the MASSIVE slowdown, if you know what i mean.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
There must be something horribly wrong with your PC. My specs are on par with yours and I have never gotten 1fps.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
make sure you have the launcher buton NOMODS and select vanilla FS2 option (isn't that correct guys?) That way except for the benefits of the code (sexp fro missions) you should have little difference in preformance from Retail version...
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

well, i will just sit back and wait until the FSOpen improves alot more or until EVERY campaign requires it and pray that it works fine.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You didn't have pcx32 enabled, did you? That thing kills performance on my 9600xt with 256 megs of VRam...

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
where are yalls manners?

:welcome:
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'm sorry, I lost my southern hospitality after I moved back to Noo Yawk.  People here suck. :p

i seriously don't remember, but i don't really use FSOpen no more, since the metallic shinning thingy doesn't work on any drivers above 4.3 (ATI Catalyst)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
Yeah the shiny thing is a real bother for me.  I'm now on Cat 4.10's and its been a while since I've seen a shiney...

You'll need FSOpen as indicated.  On a system such as yours with a R9800pro, the only thing slowing it down in terms of FSOpen is just optimization.  There's lots of things that are options that can easily kill any video card in terms of performance.

I run mine fairly minimally.  It looks better than retail FS but its also faster thanks to HT&L.  Depends on options...most game companies make it painfully simple so you have few options in terms of graphics and performance.  FS Open, being Open source, gives you all options...even ones that may hurt performance.  Spend a bit of time.
- IceFire

Here's what I mean about the cross-hairs being in the wrong place. It's not actually the crosshairs, but the lead indicator:

BTW, how do you get the FPS showing in the top right corner? If I could get that I'd tell you how abysmal the actual game play is. When I destroy an Anubis, the music and the game stutters for a second or two. When I blow up an Aten, Crashoola!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What the crap... did you post this in the SCP forum?  Or on Mantis?  Are you using the most recent build?

Use -fps to display frame rate.

I'm using built 3_6 or whatever. I think I mentioned it to the SCP forum, and I think someone said it was an old bug, though they may not have understood what I was talking about as I didn't provide a screen cap.

Originally posted by IceFire
Yeah the shiny thing is a real bother for me.  I'm now on Cat 4.10's and its been a while since I've seen a shiney...

You'll need FSOpen as indicated.  On a system such as yours with a R9800pro, the only thing slowing it down in terms of FSOpen is just optimization.  There's lots of things that are options that can easily kill any video card in terms of performance.

I run mine fairly minimally.  It looks better than retail FS but its also faster thanks to HT&L.  Depends on options...most game companies make it painfully simple so you have few options in terms of graphics and performance.  FS Open, being Open source, gives you all options...even ones that may hurt performance.  Spend a bit of time.

Well, i am on the edge of going back to 4.3 just to see the shiny stuff. lol

But then, i won't be able to play any other games, i really wish ATI would get their sodding act together and fix it.