Author Topic: Two new screenshots  (Read 26917 times)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Hmm. Now, if the node had an exit at a point in space, and a planet happened to block it while something tried to leave subspace, what would happen?

Would it be a wall of destruction like what Ace and I did to Trashman in nodewars? Or would it be a planet killer?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

[Scotish]Yoo'd beam right into solid rock Cap'n[/Scotish]
The needs of my belly, outwiegh the needs of the few.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Hmm. Now, if the node had an exit at a point in space, and a planet happened to block it while something tried to leave subspace, what would happen?

Would it be a wall of destruction like what Ace and I did to Trashman in nodewars? Or would it be a planet killer?

Assuming the jump is *into* the planet, the node opening would be equivalent to an anti-matter bomb, with further damage from the gravitational shearing of the "blue whoosy bits." The object coming through though would slam into the solid rock.

So, not a planet killer. Not even a small tremor probably. But a dead ship.

In the case of jumping inside of asteroids or ships, they'd be torn apart by the node opening and so a ship would just fly on through. (sort of like in B5)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!

Assuming the jump is *into* the planet, the node opening would be equivalent to an anti-matter bomb, with further damage from the gravitational shearing of the "blue whoosy bits." The object coming through though would slam into the solid rock.

So, not a planet killer. Not even a small tremor probably. But a dead ship.

In the case of jumping inside of asteroids or ships, they'd be torn apart by the node opening and so a ship would just fly on through. (sort of like in B5)

sounds like a useful weapon, tho. strap a set of engines and subspace generator to a meson bomb, have one jump in right ontop of a city/station, and -boom-
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Jump Nodes? 

I always thought they were like simply a current graphic on the hud, not actual permanent places, that show the outer la grange point so a ship can jump from one star system to the next so nothing is in the way (smack!) when you go FTL in subspace (hence calculating for planetary/star  masses like in star wars hyperdrive. Except you can't go anywahere like them, only to the next star system.). IS the FS2 info a contrdiction to that type of thought?.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Inter-system nodes aren't L-Points. Intra-system subspace drives are quite different in nature than inter-system drives. (thus the big deal in FS1 when they could be fitted for the Altair mission)

Intra-system drives require a large gravity field to work, otherwise energy requirements are going to be exponentially higher. (which is why we don't see hundreds of small jumps from Alpha Centauri to Earth working)

Inter-system jumps require a alot of energy, but enough that ships can generate them. Plus they require 'special' points in space, subspace nodes.

Technically though even inta-system drives 'activate' subspace nodes, they're just not the special 'inter-system' ones.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Jump Nodes? 

I always thought they were like simply a current graphic on the hud, not actual permanent places, that show the outer la grange point so a ship can jump from one star system to the next so nothing is in the way (smack!) when you go FTL in subspace (hence calculating for planetary/star  masses like in star wars hyperdrive. Except you can't go anywahere like them, only to the next star system.). IS the FS2 info a contrdiction to that type of thought?.
Not sure exactly what you mean....but...in FreeSpace the subspace conduits that run between star systems are totally removed from real space. The actual ship is traveling a normal speed but inside of the subspace corridor. So it can't run into another star or planet or whatever is "in the way" because nothing is in the way of the conduit...it doesn't exist in normal space...except for its two end points.  My guess on subspace nodes forming is that they are governed largely by overall gravitic influences within the galaxy...so system are linked based on the overall arrangement of stars in the galaxy which is why some nodes are unstable and become stable or other nodes are unstable and become stable. Mind you...you can accelerate the stability process with a Knossos portal or destabilize a node...but I think those are largely "time limited events" where the overall gravitational forces will either repair or further destabilize a node over thousands and millions of years.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline JR2000Z

Using subspace near planets was never a problem. The node in that Bastion mission in FS2 had a planet behind it.
But if your using hyperspace, now that could be a problem.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Also, when the Aelous was first produced, only 2 dozen were ever created. Many were destroyed in the NTF Rebellion, Warzone, and Derelect. I would think the Aelous line of cruisers would be extinct by now since its production ended after 2 dozen were made and about 24 were destroyed by now. So how can you have that class of cruiser in BWO if it is extinct? How about make a replacement cruiser class.

It might've been that alot of them were destroyed, but GTVA still would have blueprints to make more, and they were an effective cruiser

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Also, when the Aelous was first produced, only 2 dozen were ever created. Many were destroyed in the NTF Rebellion, Warzone, and Derelect. I would think the Aelous line of cruisers would be extinct by now since its production ended after 2 dozen were made and about 24 were destroyed by now. So how can you have that class of cruiser in BWO if it is extinct? How about make a replacement cruiser class.

It might've been that alot of them were destroyed, but GTVA still would have blueprints to make more, and they were an effective cruiser
Yep I agree...they still know how to build them and they were extremely effective.  Warzone and most of the other campaigns I've talked with people about assume that the production lines were just restarted and there were more of the cruisers made after FreeSpace 2 ended.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Jump Nodes? 

In FS2 terminology, a jump node does not move or ship places. While it may appear that it does, judging by where you warp in, and the position of other ships in a battle, it doesn't. The jump node 'sphere' is there so all ships can see it, but with proper scientific equipment, you'd see its probably a stange natural reoccuring phenomenon in space, sort of like a black hole. Black holes are there. It's like the wind.

"Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there."  ;)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

No, RNI Shipyards has the blueprints, and if they don't make anymore, the GTVA is screwed. The GTVA is not communist--it is supplied by contractor companies.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I think the reason the Aeolus didn't succeed is because the Deimos is better. The Aeolus may be the best cruiser, but it's not as good as a corvette. I suppose if the GTVA wanted more Aeolus cruisers (wtf is the plural?) they could just commission more from RNI. RNI probably stopped since the GTVA stopped asking for them. Besides, the GTVA could just as easily get another contractor (Han-Ronald? Triton? Nankam?) to go and make a better cruiser (GTC Omgwtfisthat-abix).

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Possibly also the Aeolus had a very poor cost-to-effectiveness ratio.

However, I'd think that in the aftermath of Capella, the GTVA would need something cheap that they could churn out to try and keep piracy in check.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

IIRC, the Leviathan has about as much anti-capital ship firepower as the Aeolus. That missile turret at the bottom (mortar i think its called) can certainly put hurt onto another ship because it continues puts out rounds, instead of short bursts of beam cannon fire.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
But it only does like 35 damage.(Yes i have been reading table files to much :lol:).And a Levy has 1 S(mall)green While a Aeolus has 2.Also a Aeolus would pound the Levy with Flak.Aeolus also has more Health than the Levy.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

But it only does like 35 damage.(Yes i have been reading table files to much :lol:).And a Levy has 1 S(mall)green While a Aeolus has 2.Also a Aeolus would pound the Levy with Flak.Aeolus also has more Health than the Levy.

pfffft. What have you been smokin? a Lev can take alot more punishment then an aeolus can! I could take out an Aeolus with maxims and trebuchets, but for a Lev i'd probably need a bomber wing.

Also an Aeolus' turrets are very exposed. the Leviathan has peepholes for turrets.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
pfffft. What have you been smokin? a Lev can take alot more punishment then an aeolus can! I could take out an Aeolus with maxims and trebuchets, but for a Lev i'd probably need a bomber wing.

Actually, Leviathan has 35k HP, but Aeolus has 38K HP. The Aeolus actually beats the Leviathan head on, but the Leviathan is better against fighters since it has FOUR AAAfs, the Aeolus only has two AAAf. Flak doesn't do crap.

However, I'd think that in the aftermath of Capella, the GTVA would need something cheap that they could churn out to try and keep piracy in check.

Like Axem's Cretheus! It's about as big as a Satis but has six flak guns!! :D

Actually, Leviathan has 35k HP, but Aeolus has 38K HP. The Aeolus actually beats the Leviathan head on, but the Leviathan is better against fighters since it has FOUR AAAfs, the Aeolus only has two AAAf. Flak doesn't do crap.

Like Axem's Cretheus! It's about as big as a Satis but has six flak guns!! :D

You're probably right, since i'm almost certain you've jumped on FRED 2 to have a look at their HP and i haven't bothered (lazy), but do you suppose its possible that some missions might edit the hull strength of a ship in a mission? It's just that most of the Aeolus' i've fought seemed to be dangerous, but weak hulled. Not as weak as a Fenris, but not as strong as a Leviathan.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Flak you. :lol: its because time go  faster or something....
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL