Author Topic: Gearbox Announces Homeworld, Homeworld 2 HD Remakes  (Read 16238 times)

Re: Gearbox Announces Homeworld, Homeworld 2 HD Remakes
I can not remember that this was in HW1 and Cata. I remember that i finished Homeworld with a giant fleet i build up during previous missions that overrun the enemy positions without a problem, this game was more difficult at the beginning of the campaign where do you not have enough resources in a mission area to build many ships.
But in Homeworld 2 i was overrun by superior forces right in the second mission after i take time to build up a fleet in the first.

And in Cata i only remember this in one mission, because it was a story requirement. It was the mission where the Beast awakes, if you have a lot of ships around it, the beast will overtake them completely and the mission will be a hell lot harder. But later it was only more difficult if you are losing to much ships to the beast, of course. But as far as i remember, the strenght of the enemy at the start of the mission was always the same, regardless how many ships you have.
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

I'm just hoping the HD remakes have mod support. :nervous:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I am ashamed for not having given a thought to that.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Wrong. I used to cheat and give me infinite resources.

If you have to cheat to get a noticeable effect, then I'm not wrong at all. Try again plz?
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
-snip-

NGTM-1R is right.  Homeworld had dynamic difficulty in the later missions - you get a lot more thrown at you in the last two with a stronger fleet build.

Homeworld 2 was idiotic.  There are two ways to make it play fair:  max build your fleet at the end of every mission, or self-destruct everything at the end of every mission.  Anything in between and the dynamic difficulty would flatten you.  Mission 4 exemplified this; it's where the difficulty curve went off the rails.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Hmmm...

It is merely hard for you to separate "mechanics" from "play" or are you simply trying to snipe at me for the sake of sniping?

The HW1 and 2 (and Cata) gameplay, the stuff you interact with, that was good. The HW2 mechanics, the stuff you don't interact with, was crazy.

The more you know!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 08:38:49 pm by NGTM-1R »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I found my fleet mix of Destroyers and Torp Frigates got me through most of HW2.  The Keepers, Thaddis Sabbah both were ground under unrelenting waves torpedoes and destroyer broadsides, then Balcora Gate...

I still have nightmares of having to send the majority of my fleet to go protect the damn portal while two BCs and the Dread somehow tried to stop the giant swarms of Vaygr Battlecruisers that where thrown at my mothership like confetti.  I've got the damn resources to stop these bastards if they would just lift the damn unit caps!
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
Cata is also the most replayable of the three, despite what the haters can say.

Hear Hear! Although Homeworld 2 was a lot nicer in terms of visual pleasantness (and actually the visuals of HW2 did improve the gameplay, some situations were more cumbersome in Cata because the engine wasn't able to render sufficient enough ships on screen and did things like really close fog, etc.).

But I love these news! I *am* hyped! :yes:

PS: Although I'm somewhat confused. What do they mean by "HD" ? Larger textures? Turning 256px textures into 1024? That's it or will it involve actually new models, new maps (normal mapping, shine mapping, etc.?), even new ships or gameplay?

My confusion stems from the fact that they are saying they will also release the original games as they were.

If they do what was done to age of empires II HD, then there is only going to be marginal improvement in the graphics department.

Offline Lorric

NGTM-1R is right.  Homeworld had dynamic difficulty in the later missions - you get a lot more thrown at you in the last two with a stronger fleet build.

Homeworld 2 was idiotic.  There are two ways to make it play fair:  max build your fleet at the end of every mission, or self-destruct everything at the end of every mission.  Anything in between and the dynamic difficulty would flatten you.  Mission 4 exemplified this; it's where the difficulty curve went off the rails.

This makes me feel better about not being able to get any further than that on Homeworld 2. I utterly despise dynamic difficulty. I didn't know it was in there, would never have been bought if I did.

Hmmm...

It is merely hard for you to separate "mechanics" from "play" or are you simply trying to snipe at me for the sake of sniping?

The HW1 and 2 (and Cata) gameplay, the stuff you interact with, that was good. The HW2 mechanics, the stuff you don't interact with, was crazy.

The more you know!

It's the same for me. That mechanic has changed the gameplay for the worse. Remove it and the gameplay changes for the better.

You dislike me enough as it is, what good would it do me to increase that dislike? If I was attacking you, you'd know. I'd rather be your friend than enemy.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

This makes me feel better about not being able to get any further than that on Homeworld 2. I utterly despise dynamic difficulty. I didn't know it was in there, would never have been bought if I did.

I actually wish dynamic difficulty was used more often.  Mind you it needs to be scaled properly and in HW2's case it wasn't, but it certainly would make certain games a lot better.   Fallout 3 would be my prime example.  When I left the Vault the wide wide world was a scary ****ing place.  Pretty much everything in the Capital wasteland could kill me dead.  My aim sucked and my firearms did as well, and every single round I found was a pot of friggen gold.  Even a quarter of the way through things were still interesting.  The first Deathclaw I encountered brushed off two missile hits and then swatted me into multiple pieces with casual ease. 

Then I levelled up to max...  I could murderate everything without batting an eye.  Power Armoured squads of Enclave?  I vaporize them.  Fire Ants?  I squash under boot.  Death Claws?  Blackhawked at 20 paces with contemptuous ease.  Remember when every bit of trash I could scrounge up was the difference between life or death?  I wanted for nothing now in terms of supplies.  I couldn't even sell things anymore none of the traders had money left to buy them.  Hell I had enough stuff to open Costco and make myself a wasteland wholesale store magnate.  I could make suits of power armour out of caps for Christ sake.

What started as a game of being scared ****less and running away lost pretty much all interest once I became the Demi God of DC.  I callously stalked the wasteland certain that anything in my way would be smote with impunity and I was bored  senseless.  That's were dynamic difficulty would have saved the day and the game.

Without resistance there is nothing but stagnation.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Lorric

It's not a game I've played, but it sounds like a game which could use changeable difficulty. Just pop up the difficulty a notch or two.

I also hate games being too easy. It sucks all the fun out of them for me.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

I actually wish dynamic difficulty was used more often.  Mind you it needs to be scaled properly and in HW2's case it wasn't, but it certainly would make certain games a lot better.   Fallout 3 would be my prime example.  When I left the Vault the wide wide world was a scary ****ing place.  Pretty much everything in the Capital wasteland could kill me dead.  My aim sucked and my firearms did as well, and every single round I found was a pot of friggen gold.  Even a quarter of the way through things were still interesting.  The first Deathclaw I encountered brushed off two missile hits and then swatted me into multiple pieces with casual ease. 

Then I levelled up to max...  I could murderate everything without batting an eye.  Power Armoured squads of Enclave?  I vaporize them.  Fire Ants?  I squash under boot.  Death Claws?  Blackhawked at 20 paces with contemptuous ease.  Remember when every bit of trash I could scrounge up was the difference between life or death?  I wanted for nothing now in terms of supplies.  I couldn't even sell things anymore none of the traders had money left to buy them.  Hell I had enough stuff to open Costco and make myself a wasteland wholesale store magnate.  I could make suits of power armour out of caps for Christ sake.

What started as a game of being scared ****less and running away lost pretty much all interest once I became the Demi God of DC.  I callously stalked the wasteland certain that anything in my way would be smote with impunity and I was bored  senseless.  That's were dynamic difficulty would have saved the day and the game.

Without resistance there is nothing but stagnation.

on the flip side of that, if everything gets proportionally harder every time you level up, the whole leveling system becomes utterly pointless. 
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Lorric

on the flip side of that, if everything gets proportionally harder every time you level up, the whole leveling system becomes utterly pointless.

Indeed. That is my biggest gripe with dynamic difficulty. It punishes you for getting better, when you should be rewarded. With scaling difficulty set by you, you can climb the ladder and see tangible results of your improvement.

For instance, this is why I think Crash Team Racing is far, far, FAR superior to Mario Kart.

As long as they leave the cutscenes alone. (or just up-rez them)

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
This is great news but its going to depend on far they go into remaking it.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Have you guys even tried to update HW2 to 1.1. Most of the difficulty scaling was removed in the patch.

To a point where it became ridiculously easy, tbh.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
HW2 doesn't look bad enough and isn't good enough to justify purchasing an HD remake, but I've been needing an excuse to give HW1 another shot. Considering I don't "have" HW1 this may just be a great excuse to get it. It has, in my opinion, some of the coolest looking space ships ever designed for video games.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Asymmetrical designs are the best. It's something most other spaceship universes have utterly and laughably failed to realize yet.