Author Topic: multiplayer restoration project?  (Read 7383 times)

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
multiplayer restoration project?
after spending a lot of time testing and playing through the multiplayer missions , campaigns etc , with a few oters it was mentioned that it would be a good idea to get a multiplayer restoration team together..

i know zacam is looking at some of the missions atm , but i would like to see if at all possible a team to get all the buggy missions and other missions cleaned up and up to date and if at all possible create some new ones ...

so if you are at all interested in this idea or think its a worth while idea  ( as i may be talking into the void here , as this may not be neccesary or wanted)

please post  below

thanks

cc
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Re: multiplayer restoration project?
PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE make some of the missions flow better. Not wave after wave after wave after wave after wave after wave after wave [remove by mod] of bloody fighters.
STRONGTEA. Why can't the x86 be sane?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I believe there were plans to get to this at some point. 

You have to understand those missions were written for retail and that's pretty much all you had to work with to make them more difficult.  People played the missions so much that everyone was playing on insane and still the missions were too easy.  Coming up with innovative ways to make missions hard often met with severe bugs and crashes.  Plus if you followed :v: rules for getting missions validated you had to stay with basic simple mission goals.  Pretty much if you had more then 2 goals and a bonus you were considered crazy and you mission probably would never work. 

Anyway if there is going to be some sort of project like this the primary goal should be to preserve the existing missions and make sure they work.  If they aren't finished and a finished version can't be located finish them.  This should especially hold true for any of the originally validated mission packs.  Now if people want to make advanced and pretty versions then give them a new name so the originals are still playable the way they were. 

Also there are some missions that are validated that should probably not be.  So those should either be fixed or removed from the validation pool until they can be. 

So basically we need to come up with a valid mission set at some point as well as fix not working missions so they can join that set.  There will also need to be a subset of valid TvT missions for squadwar.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

i seem to be making thread after thread at the moment , based on the same premis ie getting multiplayer to be the best it can be .;;

fixing and validating all existing missions should be the primary goal ( and where possible and appropriate exteding these to 8 or 12 players)

after this working on tvt /squad war is a good idea and to create a group of fredders to work on new and more difficult and interesting multimissions ;;; to take advantage of the new stuff within 3.6.11

anyway i hope more ppl discuss this here and hopefully from this a concensus of what the plan should be to move forward

and hopefuly some volunteers

« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:19:32 pm by andicirk »
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
One thing I don't really like about expanding missions from 8 to 12 in coop is that it makes them easier.  Now if that is going to be done then the 12 player should be given a new name and made harder to match the original difficulty with 8 players. 

I really won't have much time to work on anything else until at least fall but I'm all up for working on some especially finishing some of my own.  Got a whole campaign's worth waiting to be finished. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline captain-custard

thanks fubar , i dont see this as lets get it finished tomorrow sort of project, i think the primary part of fixing missions and getting them validated could be done reasonably quickly ...as for extendingthe mission i agree they should get harder if we use more non ai players ....is 12 a hard coded limit or could there be more players ?

other than that i know you have quite a few old multimissions that were never validated or presented , can you link those and make them availible ?

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
I think the place to start is with the original validated missions.  Make sure they work and check them off the list.  Hopefully the main campaign conversion will get some further refinement so we shouldn't have to worry too much about those.  Then the big task of sorting through the rest of what's already been validated would be the next step.  And finally testing and finishing up the ones that shouldn't have been validated and other old missions that are lying around. 

Offline captain-custard

ive taken a slightly different approach atm , iam testing the already validated missions etc , but spending as much time when playing in the wednesday / saturday night session testing the unvalidated missions

the main questions are :-

does it work
what are the bugs
does it need rebalancing
is it fun / challenging

when all of these have been done , i pose the question is it worth fixing it and validating it

so little by little we are working are way through the non validated missions and there are a few that are well worth validating some with some small changes and  some are good to go as they are ..

so if your interested in multiplayer , have some free time please join the wednesday  and saturday games to help us get through these misions

if you have fred experiennce and want to help that would be great  ( as my fredding skills arent that great ( having failed 5 times to get the fred walkthrough mission to work))

anyway if your interested in anyway id love to here your feedback ,opinions etc

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
So is there anyone else interested in helping out with this?  I mean really interested not just I like to play interested. 

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yep.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
You can set variables in a mission based of the playing difficulty level.

Why not implement the same thing to stage variables based on Number of Players as well?

Or is that even possible?

FSU standpoint (at least, what I am working on) are all the Multi missions found in Root_fs2.vp. Bug fixing and bringing up to the same MediaVP usage in them as the Campaign missions.

The Multi-Missions vp is a much lower priority to that, but I'm willing to assist in cosmetically bringing those up to MVP standard (Nameplates, Backgrounds, $Alt and $Callsign) standards.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Yes I have successfully implimented dynamic difficulty using number of players.  Used to be hard to do but now with the ship mission limit at 400 it gives you the option of changing out a lot of stuff.

As for the FSU stuff that's what I pretty much figured you were doing.  Concentrating on the retail stuff and the coop version of the main campaign.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I'd be interested, we'd need to sort out the missions, a portion to each tester so as not to get the same mission twice fixed two different ways. So far there's The E and Andi, who else?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm happy to help FRED-wise. Are you lead here Custard? If you want me to test missions, it's going to have to be before 6am GMT. But if you test missions as a team, come up with some criticisms and improvements, then I'll be happy to fix them up in FRED. Hell, you can fix up a lot of these recurring waves without even playing it and just by looking at it in FRED. But yeah, I'm happy to help here.

Offline captain-custard

thanks dilmah and cole , hopefully in a few days things will be a little more organised with an action plan as such .......i will post here and pm you

once again thanks

cc

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Player count-dependent difficulty would be AWESOMESAUCE.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline captain-custard

ok i spent today looking at the multi missions and thinking about this a lot

id really like to go ahead with this and start fairly soon, so if you are interested and want to be apart of this please say so , so far it looks like we have the support of

The E
Dilmah
Cole
Fubar

if im missing any one please shout

Any way i will talk to fubar tonight when he comes on line and hopefully start the process of getting this going...

if you have any problems with me being apart of this please say so as my main role will be  testing and motivating other than that i will try my best to learn a little more FRED during this process but wont promise anything

anyway thanks

cc

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
You have my verbal support, I don't know how much assistance I can offer though other than being a liaison.  Multi is important to me though, in a general sense.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline dragonsniper

• Master of the Irrelevant
    • Steam
What VP file are the multi missions located in?
Do or do not, there is no try...
~HLP Member and Modder~
          ~~2008-201x~~

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I have some FRED knowledge, I figure looking at how other missions are made and modifying them will give me a lot of insight into design and balance.

multi-missions.vp
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.