Author Topic: KoTOR worth getting?  (Read 2382 times)

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
KoTOR worth getting?
Guys need some advice i noticed in my local game Knights of the Old Republic is down to £8.99 and i now hear is free to play? Is it worth getting people say its really good but i don't like MMO's but i also hear that it can be played like a single player game. Does anyone here play it and could give me some advice please?
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Apparently KotOR is considered a really good RPG but I always get bored out of my mind whenever I try and play it. Can never last more than an hour or so.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Personally I enjoyed it.  Character setup is simple (perhaps too simple iirc for hardened D&D types), good length main campaign with a fair few side quests both companion and other char driven. many companions to recruit and choose from with varying alignments with a large number of interactions between them which some cool dialogue.  all in all its a good game in my books
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Guys need some advice i noticed in my local game Knights of the Old Republic is down to £8.99 and i now hear is free to play? Is it worth getting people say its really good but i don't like MMO's but i also hear that it can be played like a single player game. Does anyone here play it and could give me some advice please?

Knights of the Old Republic is not the same game as The Old Republic.  One is a very, very good single-player, non-multiplayer Star Wars RPG using a system that harkens back to DnD, specifically 3rd edition.  The Old Republic is an MMO that isn't doing very well financially and has a passable story.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
KOTOR is totally worth it.  The Old Republic, on the other hand... from what I've heard, not so much.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
First time I stepped out onto the street on Taris I remember having a big **** eating grin because I was "in" Star Wars.  Sorta like the first time you walk into Afterlife in ME2.  Even though its probably not as visually splendid as it was back in Oh Three, the story and atmosphere are great.  I'm not even a big RPG fan, in fact I played it about as close to action as possible but its still one of my favorite games.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Just be advised it's a buggy game, especially on recent machines. I just can't go out of Taris' underground without having a ****ton of graphical glitches eventually leading up to crashing here.

KotOR2 isn't much better bug-wise. I never managed to finish it simply because there are a few game-breaking bugs mid-game.

TOR, on the other hand, is going to be free-to-play, soooooo you won't loose anything giving it a try.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
KOTOR is totally worth it.  The Old Republic, on the other hand... from what I've heard, not so much.

Bastilla  :shaking: I wuv you so much................... :banghead:

WHY AREN'T YOU REEEEAAAAL!!  (My Jennifer Hale crush still ahsn't abated)

Srsly though, KOTOR, KOTOR2, Freakin awesome games.

TOR, no idea.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Cheers guys and I did mean the mmo. I've got the first games of the series and loved them and was wondering if the mmo was worth getting

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Just wait 'till it's free to play, somewhere around this fall. Better wait a bit and not waste money if you're afraid to be disappointed.

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
The Old Republic isn't terrible, but it's not terribly good, either. It isn't really breaking any new ground besides being fully voice acted. Like any other novelty, it eventually wears off, and when you think about how much time and money they must have spent on the voice acting when there are a lot of other substandard facets of the game...well, yeah.

When it goes free-to-play, give it a shot, if just to play through the class stories. Most of the characters are good, in typical BioWare fashion. I've got a 50 Trooper (can't resist more Jennifer Hale) and a 50 Sith Warrior, which is great if you enjoy being a dick. I've heard good things about the Imperial Agent storyline as well.

A totally random observation about the game is that someone in charge of camera angles totally has a thing for ass. Not sure why I thought of that, but I haven't gotten much sleep lately...

Oh, one more thing: I don't know how much has been fixed by now, but TOR is brutal on computers. The engine is really poorly optimized and has a hell of a HDD bottleneck - if you can't install it on a SSD, expect long loading times. A lot of people also have problems with framerates. BioWare was trying to blame it on people's crappy computers from the beginning, but that wasn't the whole story. A lot of people with rigs that could curbstomp the best looking DX11 games were still having issues. My old laptop would drop to 5 FPS or so in combat or in the fleets...not completely unplayable, but a total PITA. Plays fine on my new computer, but it could be luck. Just had to make sure that warning was out there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:39:16 am by TwentyPercentCooler »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok cheers guys, I think I will put it of then till its free, ah well roll on next week for darksiders 2 and fall of cybertron!

Even now, I think ToR is free up to level 15 or something. It's free to download and play up to that, and then when it goes FTP you should be able to take the character(s) the rest of the way.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
IIRC, when it'll be FTP in fall you'll be able to take it up to lvl50, according to the FAQ. They also say the whole character story arcs will be playable in the FTP package too.

I'll certainly be going through TOR at least once when it goes F2P.  The various class stories were written by BioWare after all.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Yeah, basically, play it like it's a singleplayer KOTOR3 with some really annoying NPCs that occasionally get in your way, finish the class storylines that interest you, and get the hell outta Dodge.

That'd be my advice.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Bioware has horrible and cliched writing. Yes, I said it.

I Liked KoTOR 2 the most, yes it tried new things and burned because of it (screw you Lucasarts) but at least they tried!
They didn't go the Bioware route of "We must make a bigger rehash of the 'Bigbad has a weapon that can end all as we know it' plot."
I find it funny that when Obsidian did the Sith Lord that can eat planets everyone whined about it but when Bioware did it now they are OK with it.

-- Rant over --

If you don't mind Carth annoying you every five minutes, the game is fun to play through once or twice, but for the love of Guda, Taris has to be the worst torture an RPG has ever engineered... beside Peragus II :shaking:

And no words can describe my hatred for Selkaths.

And from seeing my brother play TOR, I can safely say it's not really anything more that WoW with fully voiced dialogue set in the STAR WARS Universe.

(Allow me to apologize in advance if the wording of the post makes it sound rude.)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
I haven't played that game since I was 8. All I can remember was sitting in front of my t.v for hours on end having a damn good time haha
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu