Author Topic: Rudder Pedals  (Read 4585 times)

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
G'day gents,

Do we have any suggestions for rudder pedal brands and specific models to look at? I'm trying to be super economical here and go for something <$200 USD if possible. Or am I being too narrow there?

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
CH Pro Pedals? I've only used (and liked) the Flightstick Pro and the Pro Throttle, but CH Products has a very good reputation.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah, I was thinking CH. As far as I looked it seemed pretty CH v. Saitek. Have your current products had some reasonably good durability?

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Well, yeah, with the important caveat that I haven't actually used them all that much. :blah:

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Ah, well...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Ch Pro Pedals. I've got them (as well as a Pro Throttle and Fighterstick), and they're awesome for every thing I used them for so far. FS, various flight sims, ArmA II... They even work as vehicle pedals in driving games, because they have a fairly strong detent in the middle, and very comfortable toe brakes. Also, the configuration software is amazing, especially if you're using other CH controllers.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm working a Saitek X-52 Pro ATM so no other CH products. Good to hear they're of good quality, as I think they're cheaper than Saitek's offering. May grab.

Offline Davros

If you want to save money and dont mind putting up with a few compromises, and you are playing modern sims
get a steering wheel use the pedals in your sims (yes i know they dont operate in exactly the same way) and you have racing games sorted
with forcefeedback (racing games rock with a ff wheel)
http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1505&bih=824&q=force+feedback+steering+wheel&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12071833000847317206&sa=X&ei=hiIqUPnAOcPQ0QXYw4GACg&ved=0CFAQ8wIwAg
ps: make sure your sims support multiple devices
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:05:28 am by Davros »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The wonderful thing about using CH stuff is that your games don't have to support multiple devices to use the whole set. CH Control Manager can combine the controllers into a single device and unlike Glovepie and other such programs, it's officially supported by all CH controllers, and thus should work perfect 100% if the time (and if it doesn't, you can complain to CH tech support. I don't think they're very busy, considering the quality of their products :)). Also, racing pedals won't work well in a flight sim. It'd be like you only had toe brakes and no main axis, and making the computer combine input from two axes may be difficult.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea the catch is it doesnt work with other stuff. to use ch pedals with a saitek hotas (combined as one controller), you need to use some 3rd party software like ppjoy.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
That's not much of a downside if you're using only CH products, but with the Saitek HOTAS, it might be a bit inconvenient. PPjoy might work for you in that case, though I'm not sure how it compares to CM since I never used it.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
cm does let you tweak and combine axes though, if you needed your toe breaks as a single axis instead of two, you could do that. of course if you need all your axes to be merged into one controller, then something 3rd party is needed, because neither the saitek profiler nor the ch profiler will talk to eachother. its just a configuration nightmare is all. you may have to use 3 different profiles in 3 different pieces of software to get it to work, but it will work.

really i would like to see better 3rd party control profile softwares. something on the same level as ch control manager, but works with everything. ppjoy's virtual joystick driver is top notch (it's api is simple too) but its frontend(s) aren't all that intuitive (its easy to compile your own though). but it can only rearrange your joystick functions. you cant bind buttons to keys for example. ppjoy+glovepie is better, because it can make almost any input device into almost any other input device. it can even deal with things like trackir and wiimotes and some other obscure devices, and your usual mouse, keyboard, and joystick stuffs. its scriptable, but its gui isnt that good. it does get the job done though and you only need to fumble around with one application (you dont need to do much with ppjoy, just setup virtual joysticks for the thing to use).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 07:26:34 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Davros

you shouldnt need to use ppjoy unless you play a few old sims

Aces High 2 - supports multiple controllers
DCS: Black Shark - supports multiple controllers
DCS: A-10C - supports multiple controllers
Falcon 4: Allied Force - supports multiple controllers
IL-2 series - limited multiple controller support (only 4 controllers are supported)
Jane's F-15 Simulator - supports only a single controller
Jane's F-18 Simulator - limited multiple controller support (only some axes of up to three controllers are supported)
Jane's Longbow - supports only a single controller
Jane's Longbow 2 - supports only a single controller
Lock On: Modern Air Combat - supports multiple controllers
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs - supports multiple controllers
Lock On: Flaming Cliffs 2 - supports multiple controllers
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) - supports multiple controllers
Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) - supports multiple controllers
Over Flanders Fields - supports multiple controllers
Rise of Flight - supports multiple controllers
Strike Fighters / Wings Over... series - supports multiple controllers
Enemy Engaged Comanche vs Hokum - supports multiple controllers

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
anything calling itself a sim should support multiple joysticks anyway. its that grey area between sims and arcade style games you got to worry about, especially space "sims", like freespace :D.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
anything calling itself a sim should support multiple joysticks anyway. its that grey area between sims and arcade style games you got to worry about, especially space "sims", like freespace :D.
Note, there are some pretty good sims that don't support multiple controllers simply because they're ancient. I'm talking about F/A-18 Super Hornet, MiG-29 Fulcrum, F-16 Fighting Falcon and F-22 Lighting 3 (sic). The latter three are from Novalogic, the same guys who made Tachyon (also, the same era). They're primitive compared to Falcon 4 or DCS, but very good sims nonetheless. Also, most of the Jane's series is too old to support multiple controllers (BTW, does anyone knows where to find any sims from the series? They are neither on GOG nor Steam).

Offline Al-Rik

ppjoy's virtual joystick driver is top notch (it's api is simple too) but its frontend(s) aren't all that intuitive (its easy to compile your own though). but it can only rearrange your joystick functions. you cant bind buttons to keys for example.
There was an issue with PPjoy that you can't use it with the Home or Professional edition of Windows 7 64bit because the driver wasn't certified by Microsoft. Is this thing still a problem ?

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
ppjoy's virtual joystick driver is top notch (it's api is simple too) but its frontend(s) aren't all that intuitive (its easy to compile your own though). but it can only rearrange your joystick functions. you cant bind buttons to keys for example.
There was an issue with PPjoy that you can't use it with the Home or Professional edition of Windows 7 64bit because the driver wasn't certified by Microsoft. Is this thing still a problem ?

I'm pretty sure it's been fixed; I installed PPJoy a few weeks ago to use my PS3 controller to play with my PS2 emulator, although it turns out my crappy third-party controller was plug-and-play with Windows 7. Who knew?

Edit: I feel like a complete idiot; I was thinking of MotionInJoy that got the driver signing issue outta the way.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:35:27 am by TwentyPercentCooler »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think you have to put windows in test signing mode. this mode is for letting driver devs test their drivers before going through the process of paying ms to sign off on them. last i heard the dev was trying to drum up donations for getting the virtual driver signed, though im not sure what happened to that. and the ppjoy source has been gpled since then. not sure whats going on with it right now.

Nuke's Scripting SVN