Author Topic: Howdy folks!  (Read 1982 times)

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Man, when I first joined HLP almost 6 years ago, I never in a million years would have thought I would be where I am right now. Back then, the concept of programming was intimidating and I thought I would barely be able to make it as a 3D modeler, but here we are.

I suppose the most important detail I need to get across is that not much is going to be changing. The "mission" of the SCP is as it has always been. We're still going to actively work on the same projects as before. Anyone is free to give it a shot.

As many of you may know (and are hopefully excited about), there is a project to port FRED to a platform that will offer cross-OS compatibility (QtFRED), meaning users on OS X, Linux, and BSD will be able to finally use FRED! It's been on brief hiatus but work is definitely occurring and we will most likely get to feature parity with FRED2 within the next year.

New projects are also being planned and fleshed out right now, so stay tuned!

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone who thought I would fit in the role of SCP lead. I wouldn't be here without them.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
QtFRED sounds good!

Now, what exactly would change? Will it be the same UI abstracted from a different codebase or will it be radically altered as per modern sensibilities? (Let's face it some of the old FRED functions/menus/options seem a bit weird these days)

UI looks like: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=94565.0

Aside from a few bug fixes when we find them it will be a straight port of FRED code to qtFRED. Additional features would only slow down development. There are some changes to the architecture of the code which should make it easier to add features in the future but that will not be used to introduce new features at this time.

Can we have GeoMod now pls? ;)

Offline HLD_Prophecy

• PVD_Hope in a former life
Is that only the Linux UI though? At first glance seems very much the same, this is good!

I don't know, it just looked much better than the version I'm regularly looking at. :nervous:

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
That is a Linux UI. On Windows, Qt by default uses a similar UI to the old MFC UIs, if we wanted to have a standardized UI across all OSes, we'd need to go through a create a bunch of resource files to do that, which would probably be something the FSU and SCP would have to collaborate on.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
If you don't want to do anything too fancy, a bit of CSS is enough to get a standardized UI or you can just use Qt's Fusion theme. Run QApplication::setStyle("fusion") to switch the UI theme to Fusion.
If you write your own theme, you can use QApplication::setStyleSheet to load it. Here's a dark theme you can use as an example and here's a detailed explanation how CSS works with Qt widgets.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Congrats!

How about getting the ball rolling for a 3.8.2 release? :)