Author Topic: Creation of ships for the Freespace 2 - The Babylon Project  (Read 2713 times)

Creation of ships for the Freespace 2 - The Babylon Project
I always wanted to learn to build ships to play on PS2 - TBP but never knew how ... whenever I tried tutorials found on the Internet so incomplete ... someone would be willing to teach how to build ships, weapons systems, sub-systems .. .
I would greatly appreciate it ...

Offline newman

Re: Creation of ships for the Freespace 2 - The Babylon Project
There's no one tutorial for this, mainly because it covers a wide array of skills you need to master. To get a ship in the game, first you need to learn to model, uvw map and texture. These are general art skills and you can't just learn to do this for TBP - you need to learn it in general. There's a lot of tutorials about this out there, depending on your apps of choice but ultimately there's no quick fix - you need to take your time and develop your skills by getting loads of practice. So, if you're interested in learning 3d modeling, I would suggest choosing a 3d app, googling for some tutorials for said app and starting with that. I personally use 3ds max, though that app is pricey so you might try a free one first, such as Blender. Once you've mastered modeling you can move on to uvw mapping and texturing.
Of course if you just meant converting existing models, that's different as you can skip the very long first step of mastering the 3d art skills. There are two conversion methods I know about, one is using the buggy 3ds max converter that only works up to version 8 of 3ds max. This method works but you do need to get the ship through PCS2 before it's usually ready for the game. The other is using collada and the PCS2 version that supports dae import.
Both of this methods would be better described in detail by someone else, however.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
I always wanted to learn to build ships to play on PS2 - TBP but never knew how ... whenever I tried tutorials found on the Internet so incomplete ... someone would be willing to teach how to build ships, weapons systems, sub-systems .. .
I would greatly appreciate it ...

This one is pretty old, but should help you with the Basics.
Good thing is, it's for Blender, and as long you use a version before 2.49 you should be fine.

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/fs2/mods/fighterguide/

This one is for Truespace 3.2, but should apply to TS 7 as well, i suggest to not use Truespace as a modeling app, though.

http://underworld.fortunecity.com/pacman/106/fs2mods/shipcreationguide/

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Those links do give a good general impression of what you need to do even if they are old and not worth following now.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]