Author Topic: Joystick dillemma -- are there any good ones left in the world?  (Read 8411 times)

Offline miskat

Joystick dillemma -- are there any good ones left in the world?
So I've become infatuated with Freespace.

I blame that on everyone at this board.  Er... thank you.

Anyway, I bought a joystick and am very happy with it.  It's the Logitech Attack 3.  Nothing special, just a cheap solution since I can't stand using the mouse and the keyboard is nowhere near precise enough for me.  Unfortunately the joystick lacks something that I've deemed a must... the "3D" rotation.  That twist you can do to control rudders in flight sims.  I want it, and I want it to control my barrel rolls.

So I did some searching on the forums and found a few companies mentioned: CH, Saitek, and Logitech were the big 3.  Seems Logitech joysticks break and stop functioning after about 6 months... not sure what the census on the Saitek sticks were, but it seems like the Cyborg Evo is pretty nice (not the Force feedback one... heard there was problems with that) but fairly hard to get ahold of.  And CH... much much too expensive.  And do any of their sticks actually have the rotation?

Anyway... with bad reviews coming from damn near everywhere, I was wondering if someone had a recommendation for a decent joystick.  It need not have any buttons on the base, I'm going to use my Nostromo for that, but lots of thump and index finger accessable controls are nice.  And rotation....  *sighs*  And dare I hope for anything long-lasting?  I don't generally beat the crap out of my equipment, but I hate it when it seems that people hardwire expiration dates into stuff.  XD

Thanks in advance all, I've been pulling my hair out here.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: Joystick dillemma -- are there any good ones left in the world?
I can testify to the Cyborg Evo being a good stick; of course, it could never replace my venerable old MS Sidewinder 3D Pro, but I enjoy using it nonetheless.  I've been using it off-and-on for about two-and-a-half years now, and it still works fine.  As for where to find one, they seem to be available via Saitek's website.

Regarding CH, I can't speak for them myself, but from what I've heard from people who've used them, they're worth every penny durability-wise.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Cyborg Evo is godly.

I wish I had the X52 though...  :nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Go with the Saitek joystick. I bought a cheapo ST290 Pro, and it works like a dream. I also have an old P880. I've stepped on it, kicked it, and nearly busted the wire dragging near my feet. The thing's bullet-proof. Trust me, go with Saitek.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
Saitek.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline miskat

So it looks like Saitek's Cyborg Evo might be the way to go.  Now the question is, since the wireless model is out of the question (replacing 2xAA batteries all the time is something I already do with my mouse... and HATE it) should I hunt down the original Cyborg Evo, or is the Force feedback one worth the extra $s?

How good is FS2_open's force feedback implementation, anyway?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
I have had no problem using the Cyborg Evo Force model, although I don't use it to play FreeSpace.

I've played too much using the keyboard to start using another interface.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Don't go Force Feedback. Force Feedback makes it harder to maneuver your fighter. I have force feedback, but I never use it.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
saitek is really the only company out there i know that  is still makeing good sticks. i hear ch is pretty good but never owned one of their sticks before.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I want an x52 for I-War2
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

If you happen to have Ace Combat 5, and were fortunate enough to get the special addition with the USB flight stick and throttle, try using that.  I recently found the driver to make it work with my PC and I'm having a blast with it.  Granted, you have to map the buttons to your liking, but its a nice alternative to actually buying a new joystick if you have it already.
GTI Rebellion FREDer

Dissident Theory

Permissum sacramentum non exsisto infractus , per fides exsisto led.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Doesn't fs2_open have freelancer-style mouse-control these days? If yes, then what's the point in buying a joystick just for one game? :p Granted, it has been a year since I last played FS2 in any form, but if my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro breaks, it is unlikely I'll be getting a new stick.

Offline miskat

Way back when I first got my hands on a retail copy of FS1+ST I played with a mouse.  When I started playing again recently, I found that I just couldn't stand having to drag the mouse, pick it up, reposition it, drag again.  And keyboard just isn't precise enough for me.  So currently I use a joystick most of the time and use the mouse when I need ultra-precise shots (long range, mostly.)

Just got done configuring my Nostromo n52 for use in FSO alongside my joystick and now I'm not so sure I need to go get a new one.  =/  XD

Huzzah for the Nostromo.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Funny you should mention buying sticks for one game, Fury...I know several Descenters who have bought up a couple unopened MS Sidewinder 3D Pros on eBay, just so they have backups for if/when their current 3D Pro finally bites the dust. :p

Yep, Saitek all the way. The X52 was the best money I've ever spent on a PC device. Now I'm eagerly waiting for the X52 Pro to start shipping.
----------------------------------------------
GTD Swiss Pride - Orion Class
Swiss 1st Fleet, Sector 32 - Ore Belt - Sol
----------------------------------------------
"I'm an engineer!"

Eve: Since Beta Phase 2
Civilizazion Fan: Seems like forever...
SimCity Fan: SC 2000 is still the best
TT Fan: Since 1995
Switzerland: Since 1291

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Doesn't fs2_open have freelancer-style mouse-control these days? If yes, then what's the point in buying a joystick just for one game? :p Granted, it has been a year since I last played FS2 in any form, but if my MS Sidewinder Precision Pro breaks, it is unlikely I'll be getting a new stick.

tried to implement it through scripting and failed miserably. i believe its on the to do list, pending post 3.6.9 pilot file changes.

the only reason i own an x-52, is because i play alot of flight sims.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
Don't go Force Feedback. Force Feedback makes it harder to maneuver your fighter. I have force feedback, but I never use it.
I prefer Force Feedback... sure it might be "harder" to maneuver but I love my force feedback! Nothing like feeling what happens.

I always have it fully on. Max up the forces...
It's a Logitech Wingman Force 3D... 7-buttons, 6-way stick (forward/back, left/right, twist handle), 8-way HAT, and a good throttle at the base. I can't play flightsims or freespace without it! Once I got used to forcefeedback, I can't play anything now without it! Most games support it.

If you just hate force feedback, then stay away from it i guess. You have to have the stick in an AC Adapter and centre-spring relies on the force feedback to be on. Only complaint with my stick is it seems to "grind" when I turn for longer times. Watchout as it moves by itself if Autopilot is on, or if there is a collision or a hit on the ship. Rather cool, though... it takes some getting used-to.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Dysko

I had a lot of problem with Logitech controllers (I had a Wingman Extreme, an Attack and an Attack 3, they all had a lot of problems since I bought them). Some months ago, when I almost threw my Attack 3 out of the window, I bought a Trust GM-2500 Predator for only 25 €. And it hasn't given me any problem yet. And, for the first time, I have a joystick with a rudder and the POV controller (actually, also the Wingman Extreme had the POV controller, but I never used it... :rolleyes:).
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I had that same stick myself, Bob; only trouble is, after a year or two of relatively light use, it started going utterly ballistic every time I plugged it in, particularly the twist function.  I wish you better luck with yours.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I've had it for three or so years now. The twist is a bit annoying sometimes, but it is overall a good stick. I have to have the base correct or I unconsciously twist it...

I just hate the fact that it has no traditional spring; the forcefeedback-spring seems a bit too loose.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.