Author Topic: RELEASE - Shrouding the Light  (Read 74737 times)

Offline Striker

RELEASE - Shrouding the Light
I have a problem. I put everything under ShroudingTheLight (folder), with all data in its right place, and set SCP to read from that mod folder. But every time I try the first actual mission, I have a Ulysses and no weapons with no choices. I cant even begin the mission. Help.
...lurk

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Go into ShroudingTheLight/Data/tables/ and delete (or rename the extensions of) the ships and weapons tables. These are the Lightspeeds tables and they're overriding the ones Blaise made in the vp.

Do NOT delete the weapons explosions table.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2004, 02:59:28 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Do you have the FS1port installed in the MOD directory?

THAT might be your problem. :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually I think it's your tables LS. :p

The FS Port VP comes after the StL VP in the alphabet so Blaise's tables will superceed those unless someone installs tables in the data folder (or they've cocked up the install somehow). Since your weapons don't come in a VP people will probably just install them to the data folder.

Simple fact is that I had exactly the same error as Striker and deleting those two tables cured it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I actually never had that problem. Wierd.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

I never had that problem because I didn't extract the table that came with the nebula backgrounds. Of course I had the problem of SCP being too hot to handle for my pooter.

I just finished the campaign, and all I can say is wow. The plot was, well, to admit, a little slow at first, but at the third mission it just picked up speed. I enjoyed this campaign. I'd say something in Vasudan, but I'm still on the GTVA Alien Language waiting list... anyway *holds up sign* :ha:. oh- that should say 10...:nervous:

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well I'm partway through this campaign, and now that the intriegue is picking up, its realy starting to get interesting.  I was blown away (not exactly literally) by the arrival of those... new HoL bombers.  It was a plot twist I had not seen coming.  Things I find frustrating but not necessarily bad with this campaign so far include:

1 - Anibus sux!  I keep wanting to hit my burners but they're never there.

2 - Trying to shoot down those tiny Barracudas being launched by waves of Seths is quite irritating.

3 - Not being able to use weapons like the PromS or Interceptor (at first).  I guess that Alpha 1 from the original Great War campaign was just a fortunate pilot that got to use the latest toys as they came out.  Of course, it could be worse... I could be trying to fight with the VLL-9.

4 - The memory-hogging of Lightspeed's Uber Nebulae, which eat up memory and sometimes force me to reboot between missions (shouldn't be happening on AMD-XP2600, 512DDR-400, ATI R9600XT).

Oh well, I'm curious to see what happens next.  I just passed the operative insertion mission.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic

4 - The memory-hogging of Lightspeed's Uber Nebulae, which eat up memory and sometimes force me to reboot between missions (shouldn't be happening on AMD-XP2600, 512DDR-400, ATI R9600XT).

Make sure you're using a post memory leak fix build, which I think means post 3.6 as well, but I'm not absolutely certain. I'm using what I think is taylors latest build (fs2_open_T-20040822.exe), and it's remarkably stable and very memory friendly.

Also, if they're still a problem, use the 256 colour pcx versions. There's some quality loss, but it's really only noticable in screenshots or when you're looking for it, and the memory saving is huge.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I'll try that.  Thanx.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
God knows how many times I've tried to hit my burners in the Anubis and found there was nothing there. I know it's killed me at least twice...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
'kay kay, I feel I need to comment :o

Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Things I find frustrating but not necessarily bad with this campaign so far include:

1 - Anibus sux!  I keep wanting to hit my burners but they're never there.

2 - Trying to shoot down those tiny Barracudas being launched by waves of Seths is quite irritating.

3 - Not being able to use weapons like the PromS or Interceptor (at first).  I guess that Alpha 1 from the original Great War campaign was just a fortunate pilot that got to use the latest toys as they came out.  Of course, it could be worse... I could be trying to fight with the VLL-9.

Oh well, I'm curious to see what happens next.  I just passed the operative insertion mission.

Later!

1- It's Anubis. And it doesnt suck - it's fun!! :D

2- They're deliberately hard to shoot down since it's missiles, not bombs. High hit chance at mediocre damage.

3- Prometheus guns (the original, NOT the S version, which is a derivate from the original but still different) are VERY rare, because resources are lacking (untill FS2's nebula missions), so they probably still got most of them left (as its shortly after FS1), but save them for very special missions/objective, since they practically cannot be rebuilt.

4- They shouldn't cause that. I'm myself only having 512 MB of RAM, and have no problems whatsoever with the nebulae. Bob has optimized the nebula background rendering and ever since that, they are no real source of slow-down.

Originally posted by Black Wolf

Also, if they're still a problem, use the 256 colour pcx versions. There's some quality loss, but it's really only noticable in screenshots or when you're looking for it, and the memory saving is huge.

This will not really help things, I'm afraid. The memory saving is ONLY there if you don't use "-pcx32" (else it'll fill EXACTLY the same size), the visual quality is significantly worse.  Performance wise, there is little or no difference (tested that).
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Lightspeed

This will not really help things, I'm afraid. The memory saving is ONLY there if you don't use "-pcx32" (else it'll fill EXACTLY the same size), the visual quality is significantly worse.  Performance wise, there is little or no difference (tested that).

Hence why those of us without super high end systems don't use pcx32.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I don't use -pcx32.  Perhaps switching to the pcx nebulae and using -pcx2dds will improve matters.

Offline Kosh

My system at home is much crappier (and older) but it appearently works better. ;7
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Well, something about STL is realy eating up the memory, as the FS2 main campaign has no problems with me flying 3 or more missions.

Offline Kosh

Btw, what flags are you using?

EDIT: I just had a thought: What I did with my system at home was use the lite version of mveffects, but added explosions, lightspeeds nebula's and his weapon effects onto it. It won't look as good, but it is quite playable.

Brain I/O error

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
Re: RELEASE - Shrouding the Light
I have just instaled this mod and I think something must be tuned up to work right with vp 3.6.8 Delta.

The problem is caused with LS Weapons Pack (link in first page of the thread). I have noticed than in BR's webpage there's no reference to this pack so I tried with and without it.

Without it

Just before finishing the load of first mission (the cutscene) the next error appears

Code: [Select]
Error: Can't open model file <none>
File:\fs2_open\code\model\modelread.cpp
Line: 1748
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

But if you press OK the game seems to work fine (I have passed two real missions).

With it

I've built a vp with the link contents named 00-WeaponsPack.vp (to make it load before the MOD itself) and I have put it inside the MOD directory. With the mod.ini file, FSPort and Nebula backgrounds are also loaded from their own directories.

With this pack the previous error doesn't appear but all the ships are turned into Ulysses. And as you can see in weapon selection window from the first real mission, there's no available weapons. (I attach a screenshot).

So, if I haven't made anything wrong, I think there's some kind of issue with newest media vps.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 03:51:15 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Blaise Russel

• Campaign King
    • http://mysite.freeserve.com/sbre/index.html
I've built a vp with the link contents named 00-WeaponsPack.vp (to make it load before the MOD itself) and I have put it inside the MOD directory. With the mod.ini file, FSPort and Nebula backgrounds are also loaded from their own directories.

With this pack the previous error doesn't appear but all the ships are turned into Ulysses. And as you can see in weapon selection window from the first real mission, there's no available weapons. (I attach a screenshot).

This is probably the problem right here. I guess that 00-WeaponsPack.vp has table files in it; in which case, since you're giving it priority over STL, it's messing everything up because the missions are referencing STL weapons and STL ships from the STL table which is being overwritten by your 00-WeaponsPack tables.

Try renaming it to just WeaponsPack; that way, FS2 can still access the weapons effects in the VP, but it'll use the STL tables so the campaign should work.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis

This is probably the problem right here. I guess that 00-WeaponsPack.vp has table files in it; in which case, since you're giving it priority over STL, it's messing everything up because the missions are referencing STL weapons and STL ships from the STL table which is being overwritten by your 00-WeaponsPack tables.

Try renaming it to just WeaponsPack; that way, FS2 can still access the weapons effects in the VP, but it'll use the STL tables so the campaign should work.

Thank you, Blaise. Now it works perfect. And yes the WeaponsPack has three tables: ships.tbl, weapon_expl.tbl and weapons.tbl

PS. If the weapons pack is needed, as it seems, you should update your webpage to include it (and maybe make an vp with it so it doesn't cause this priority error).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio