Author Topic: Feature wishlist for multiplayer  (Read 55505 times)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Feature wishlist for multiplayer
 :bump:
Necrothreaded.
Sounds like it hasn't been requested already, so I'm putting it here :
- Allowing players spawn locations to be fredded the same way as for other ships, so you can set them for example near a ship, or in the docking bay of a ship, that could move during the missions, avoiding the player to have to travel 6k or so every time he dies because the action has moved somewhere else. That's a must-have for converting some SP missions to coop, and can also help the "everyone respawn at the same place" issue in dogfights.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
help the "everyone respawn at the same place" issue in dogfights.

+1

This is an issue I run into frequently, Especially for Capship Dogfights.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Shade

Good one. Added to the list.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Simply put: the ability for host to see who has hacked files.

I find it somewhat strange that everyone playing but host can see who has hacked but not host him/her self. seems a bit counter productive even.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Did some posts disappear?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
They were split into a new thread.

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Not sure if these have been asked before but:

• training msg works on a per-player basis instead of for everyone
  • when a player ship dies, the beams are not freed anymore if they respawn, I think it should still be beam-freed when they respawn.
  • more players all around, especially for TvT
  • the ability to assign players to any wing, and having more than 3 wings a player can be in, basically unlimited player wings.
  • ability to have more than 4 ships in a player wing, Alpha wing, etc.
  • The ability to have fighters or bombers to launch from player-controlled capital ships' hangar bays.

I think I had more things to ask for but I forgot so I'll post those here when I remember.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:33:25 pm by Hades »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Does anyone know what kind of progress is being made on Squad Wars?
I know this isn't really the place for this, I was just wondering if any of you knew anything.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 07:26:17 pm by GameSlayerGS »

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
@ GameSlayersGS: Most likely NON AT ALL, unless you want to take a dip in the staggering ammount of notes or ask around more, i don't think we can now for sure, but i don't think multi has got any features in a while.

@Hades: People already complain about the netcode, adding more people might worsen it :/

Also, some of those seem to be more of bugs than features, like the first, second and sixth. Try reporting it in mantis or talk to a coder to see what they have to say about it, most likely you'll be requested to submit it in mantis.
Signed, me

Offline ShivanSpS

I think improving cooperative gameplay should come first... remember we are in the era of 4-player cooperative games.

-We need more multiplayer campaigns, fix the retail one, that looks very bugged the last time i attempted to play it (if no-one is working at this, ill probably give it a go myself in April).
-Multiplayer campaigns need to save progress for all players (it has been already posted)
-We need command briefing and videos to multiplayer too!
-In-game joining(it will ever work?)
-a new game mode, 2 Teams cooperative, i has already making this kind of mission back in retail days at pxo... a good example is the SOC mission to rescue snipes in the nebula... one team has to go get to him, the other team are those hercs that where with the transport, fighting off the shivans. I used TVT mode to simulate this.

Once a good cooperative gameplay is stabilised, them the work can start in improving tvt and dogfighting.

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
-We need more multiplayer campaigns, fix the retail one, that looks very bugged the last time i attempted to play it (if no-one is working at this, ill probably give it a go myself in April).

If by that, you mean the SP Campaign as Multi, it's already being worked on. If you mean the Multi misisons as otherwise, that's part of what Team MULTI is about.

-We need command briefing and videos to multiplayer too!

May or may not be possible. While it should be a fact that people (in retail at least) will all have them, there may be issues on synchronizing progress through them. This is really only a concern in terms of the Single Player as CoOp Campaign though, as most regular missions just don't have any at all to start with, which make it less of a necessity or requirement to make the work in a multi environment.
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
The kind of things being requested in the last few posts take a LONG time to implement. It is very hard to justify implementation that will see more hours in development than hours being enjoyed by actual users.

Why people haven't gotten interested in multiplayer is beyond me, but in order to be fair to coders, I think it's important to wait for multiplayer to pick up. That means more players on IRC actively asking for and setting up games. If you REALLY want to see multiplayer change into something exciting here's what needs to be done.

1. Try to see if you can forward your ports so you can host.
2. Log onto IRC regularly and try to setup games. Weekends are best, but anytime can work.
3. Post on the multiplayer thread about your experience or if you have questions, and give it some more activity.

These things NEED to happen before we can even think about going to coders and asking them to spend their months on these features. The_E has mentioned earlier that there are maybe 12 or so players who regularly seek multiplayer games on IRC. That number, as much as I don't like to admit it, is not inaccurate.

Edit: This post sounds a little more angry than it should. Multi is a fun experience though, and it is more so with more people.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:50:25 pm by bigchunk1 »
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Well, a while back I began the process of figuring out the old PXO SquadWar code, even went so far as setting up a ColdFusion server in my basement.  It's occasionally up and running, when the box it's on hasn't crashed.

More recently, I began converting some pages, and modeling out the old database stuff in PHP as a starting point.  Just today I managed to get enough of the database stuff modeled to port over the home page.  Everything in the image is being pulled from the database, nothing is hardcoded, any more than the original SquadWar.

Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
excellent stuff massive :yes: to you
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I want to add a little wish to avoid something that has caused me much pain in other games in the past:

-Implement proper automatic mod downloading that allows the mod to be picked up from the server the game is being hosted on OR an external server as specified in the server's configuration. Serious bonus points if the downloader has the brains to go out and search for a mod automatically from a default list of sites (ex. fsmods, f2s, HLP).
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Shade

That has been considered before, but rejected because it is unreasonable to hold up a game for the several hours it might take a player to download a new mod. All mods that currently have a multiplayer component are huge, so it is simply not feasible.

There's already a request on the list to inform players about which mods are being run by who, though, so if that gets implemented down the line it might be a good idea to include a link to a download location as well. But auto-downloading mods in multiplayer is not going to happen, because of the time involved.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I still think it would be more than worth it to make it an option. Possibly make it inform the player of the size of the file, and the time needed for download. This is standard behavior for many very popular games, and I don't hear too much complaining.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Shade

There's a difference. When you join a game in Freespace, the other players can't play until everyone is ready.... including the guy who is just now downloading, say, Blue Planet+Blue Planet WiH+Blue Planet multi pack+MediaVPs 3.6.12 for a nice cozy 4.3 gigabytes worth of waiting. And even if it did download it and install it correctly, the game would still need to restart in order to use it, forcing the person to quit the server anyway. So really, this sort of thing should not happen as part of a game.

I'd love to see the ability to download and switch mods from within the game instead of having to use the launcher and needing a restart, but if it ever happens then it needs to take place before people join a game so it won't hold up other players.

What if we at least added a feature somewhere in the game to download and install mods and such from the game? Each server could then present the player with a list of required mods and a button to go download them. He player could then leave the server to go on with the other players while the player went and downloaded the mods. Then the player could attempt to join again, once the mods were installed and the game was restarted.