Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102152 times)

Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
In Proving Grounds you are supposedly providing targeting data to the Aquitaine, but it really doesn't feel like it. The Aquitaine barely shoots that Moloch, whether or not I'm over there.
What difficulty level? It needs to be on Medium or higher for this to work.

In The Sixth Wonder, disabling and disarming the Cato ruins the mission since even if the Colossus arrives it will not fire on it. Destroying the Cato allows the Hawkwood to arrive and be blown to pieces. Maybe the Hawkwood arrival queue should be timed or linked to one of the bomber wings. It doesn't make any sense for it to wait until the Cato has been blown, specially if the Colossus is in station. Also, the Colossus should beam the Cato if its still there.

I used a Pegasus on Endgame and I was constantly getting targetted by AA beams from the Aelous. It didn't felt quite stealthy.

Damn. I always use the Pegasus in Endgame. Sigh.

Is this happening to the rest of you?
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
In Proving Grounds you are supposedly providing targeting data to the Aquitaine, but it really doesn't feel like it. The Aquitaine barely shoots that Moloch, whether or not I'm over there.
What difficulty level? It needs to be on Medium or higher for this to work.
I'm on Medium.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
So I need to:

Guardian Phoenicia engines in Bearbaiting

Check out Aquitaine targeting in Proving Grounds (did you try this with TAG missiles? may need to look at that too)

Make the Cato self-destruct when disarmed and disabled in The Sixth Wonder, or make the Hawkwood arrive even if the Cato hasn't exploded.

Consider building a SEXP stealth system for the Pegasus, Fedayeen-style.

Offline The Dagger

• I like zod ships
Consider building a SEXP stealth system for the Pegasus, Fedayeen-style.

If you're doing it for the Pegasus, consider the Ptah too.

So what's new with TAG-A and TAG-B Missiles in FS: Blue? Are they actually worth carrying around? Do they trigger greens? I've always been generally confused with their use outside of specific moments like Lopez trying to fry an AWACS.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Shoot them at a fighter and you'll see!

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
A Game of TAG was much more fun today than it was the last time I played it!!
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Just in case someone might want to...

NO SPOILERS, PLEASE.

I haven't played this yet. :)

So, please, don't even post what happens with the new TAG missiles. lol I'm getting a little excited reading about this, but my time is being consumed by more important things right now. :/
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 07:05:13 pm by TwoCables »

Did I just hear Corey's voice in Dunkerque as one of the wingmen? Could it somehow get there by accident?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It could.

Who's Corey?

Your older male wingman from AoA. Part of a Freudian trio with Bei(the player) and Taylor.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

It's probably not Corey though, I'd bet it's one of the WiH UEF personas that was voiced by Ransom.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If there was an unassigned persona in that mission, I think it's entirely possible for it to randomly pick the Corey persona.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yes, and since I think Corey is the first new one in the list, you're more likely to hear him.

Amsuingly, this also happens to capships you can order, and the line picked is random out of all personas of the correct species. Imagine my surprise in Endgame when I ordered the Monitor to attack something and got "**** these bastards". :p

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

Seriously :wtf: ??

I mean addonital Sathanas beams are not bad idea at all, but I don't get the point of spam of SReds. I would rather see 2 or 4 LReds places in various points of the hull... Or make MRed.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

I also wasn't really a fan of how getting a TAG on the Sathanas results in the Colossus immediately sprouting its own forest of beams. It felt gamey as hell, introducing some noise would help a lot.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The SRed spam is awesome and cool.

The Colossus doesn't grow any new beams, it just fires its standard load out.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I thought the beamspam was awesome, don't change please.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

2 LReds would far out-damage the Collie's broadside of 3 BGreens and would still do more when it overloads those into LRBGreens. So you'd basically be forcing the player to take those out too.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded