Author Topic: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency  (Read 290938 times)

Re: RELEASE - The Procyon Insurgency
Meh. I accomplished all objectives in bearbaiting on hard difficulty.

In the words ( and accent) of sean connery, "I'm yet to be impressed boy!"

You moron. Goober did it on Insane.

Do you want to be a big boy and search for the movie yourself or do you want me to do it for you?

Dont call me a moron boy.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I was going to make a video of a mission 15 playthrough but never got around to it. I can typically get all of the extra objectives within three or four tries on medium. I have done it once on hard, but that takes much more effort. I rewrote the walkthrough part for that mission though, so others should be able to reproduce what I'm doing.

It does standard C division, which I think uses truncation, not rounding.  But 20/20 is 1, so that shouldn't matter.

A value of 72% should never occur in any case. The 17b mission computes the score as (Px100)/20 where P is the number of points collected (a little clumsy; it's from a time when I wasn't sure how many total possible points there would be, but it should still work fine).  The result is obviously always a multiple of 5 as long as P is an integer. AFAIK the game doesn't support noninteger variables at all, so it's either computing something wrong or the variable stored in the pilot file is getting messed up.

The music for the nebula mission was awesome. Where did you get it, if i may ask?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:blah:

Battlezone.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

BZ and BZ II were wicked games. I loved those  :nod:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The first part was the NRML part of the Silent Threat track 'Darkside'.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I increased the pitch of that as I thought that allowed the piece to blend in better with the other two parts. It also had the side effect of improving the audio quality.

By the way, I have been playing through PI again (first time in some sense, since my last playthrough was just before it was released and essentially a bugfixing run :p) and ran into the player file corruption bug myself during the mission 9 loading sequence. It looks like that problem is not necessarily limited to red alert missions. The pilot got screwed up so badly that even going into the mainhall with it resulted in an immediate crash.

Until 3.6.10 is released, the best workaround for these issues is to simply make backups of your pilot files every few missions. For those who don't know, they are in the data\players\single directory; you want to backup the main pl2 file as well as the PI cs2 file for that pilot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 11:39:09 am by CP5670 »

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
BZ and BZ II were wicked games. I loved those  :nod:

hi,
yeah, i had love BZ and BZ II.
BZ II i had play a long time, so 2 years, online.
with the bugs, connectionlost and lags  :wakka:

but first as i listed it exactly and CP say it, i heard. shame on me  :(

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline Frosty

loading mission 3 i get this message  :(

Error: Argument count is illegal.

In sexpression: ( when
   ( and
      ( is-event-true-delay
         "MSG: Unknown targeted"
         ( true )
      )
      ( not
         ( is-event-true-delay
            "MSG: Freighters jump"
            ( true )
         )
      )
   )
   ( do-nothing )
)
(Error appears to be: is-event-true-delay)
File:C:\temp\fs2_open_3_6_9.t\code\Mission\MissionParse.cpp
Line: 5754
[This filename points to the location of a file on the computer that built this executable]

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Someone else reported this a while ago too. It indicates that the FS2 build you're using is too old. Make sure you have downloaded the 3.6.9 RC7.9X build on the website (which has a file timestamp of 11/25/06), and that it's selected correctly in the launcher.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/

7dot9 is near the bottom as a .rar file.  Right-click > Save Target (or Link) As...

Offline Frosty

Someone else reported this a while ago too. It indicates that the FS2 build you're using is too old. Make sure you have downloaded the 3.6.9 RC7.9X build on the website (which has a file timestamp of 11/25/06), and that it's selected correctly in the launcher.

thanks solved my problem

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Good to hear. :)

By the way, if anyone is using my music VP, you can put this file into the PI folder to have the campaign take advantage of the high quality music, for the most part anyway. This will be included in the next (and most likely final) version, but I'm going to hold off on that until the full 3.6.10 media VP set is out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 03:19:54 am by CP5670 »

Offline Frosty

by far hardest campaign ever

Really? I could never beat the last mission of DEM without looking at it in FRED. :D

I think CP has started a trend, seeing as other campaign projects are making their missions more difficult also. I much prefer PI-style mission balancing to the normal Derelict/Homesick medium to easy difficulty. It's not just a matter of fighting off tons of Shivans; some tactical thought is required. Orpheus is on the right track (although I still prefer PI, as much as I admire his design style.).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I don't think it was CP who started it. :D Picklehead made Aeos Affair pretty hard.  Derelict was also hard, if you weren't up-to-speed on your tactics.  (For instance, when I first played through Derelict I had a terrible time in the Auriga capture mission because I didn't realize I could engage the Aeolus at long range.)  And Blaise Russel's missions are usually harder than the norm as well, though not to the degree that CP's are.

Heh, Homesick was a bad example. But I don't see what you mean about Derelict. Maybe 2-3 of the 40+ missions I found challenging, and that doesn't count the Auriga mission. After getting torn up by fighters a few times, I found that it was almost a self-playing mission if you just stick around the Typhon and have patience; wait for all the enemy fighters to die, then go in and disarm the destroyer. But that's my style, perhaps if I played Derelict in a more "realistic" way I would have had more of a challenge. The nice thing about PI is that it's challenging no matter what cheap tricks you use.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Reread my post again and notice that I was talking about the Aeolus. :p At the beginning of the mission, you have to attack an Aeolus to entice the Auriga to jump in.

Also, bear in mind that Derelict was the very second campaign I played after I finished the FS2 campaign.  I hadn't learned all the tactics yet.  Specifically, I wasn't terribly acquainted with the Kayser or the Maxim.

I believe Top Ace has also expressed frustration at Derelict's difficulty level.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I actually didn't intend PI to be all that hard. I mainly just wanted the campaign to be difficult enough that it would be beneficial to have a specific plan of action in mind when playing, as I felt many other campaigns didn't really touch upon this aspect of the game. I didn't find any of the missions to be particularly tough during my testing (leaving aside some of the optional bonus goals), although I did assume that most players would be familiar with the FS2 game mechanics already and would know of the standard tactics for dealing with various situations.

I originally came from the multiplayer side of the game before I got into making missions, so I might have a somewhat different perspective on these things. All the singleplayer campaigns I have played have been of moderate difficulty at the most, in comparison to some of the co-op missions and especially the old Squadwar league matches.

You might want to join us in the online games we're having these days. I bet you'll find your skills steadily increasing over there. :D We should be having a fairly lengthy session on Saturday.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:51:03 pm by CP5670 »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I was thinking this a while ago - Isn't the Saturn a complete mutt? I mean it's Terran, Shivan, Vasudan AND Ancient...