Author Topic: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.  (Read 102137 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: FreeSpace Blue: FreeSpace 2 as it should've been.
Just like the Boanerges' supposed maneuverability.

I think we buffed the Boa to make that more true.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
We did. Turns a little better and has stronger afterburners now so it's not tied or behind the Ursa in both.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

What changed in FSO Multi to make it not playable?
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Not sure when you last played it, but currently the netcode makes it basically unplayable. The relation between shooting and hitting is arbitrary and players teleport around so you just end up with mass collisions everywhere as it's impossible to predict where the server thinks you and everyone else are.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:46:24 pm by FrikgFeek »
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
What changed in FSO Multi to make it not playable?
This is an open question, however it's inarguable that the latency is untenable in its current state. At some point, I intend to see if it's still possible to play retail multi in direct IP mode to make a proper comparison.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As of 3.6.10 even LAN co-op was very nearly unplayable off host.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
'twould be cool if it was just a bug that, once fixed, made multi at least enjoyable again.  :nod:

Especially if it was a retail bug that was exacerbated or only manifested by FSO improvements or somesuch.

Offline CT27

That's probably because the fitting screen lies.

If there's ever another FSPort version, should the screen be changed to show the Avenger is more effective?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
That's kind of a touchy issue. In one ideal the weapons would be rebalanced. The fsport team has not generally followed that ideal, radical change isn't something the fsport team really like to do. AFAIK fsport is still set up to run on vanilla fs2, and the weapon stats etc. have been picked to be as true to an authentic fs1 experience as possible.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We wouldn't say no to an FreeSpace Blue prequel.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CT27

That's kind of a touchy issue. In one ideal the weapons would be rebalanced. The fsport team has not generally followed that ideal, radical change isn't something the fsport team really like to do. AFAIK fsport is still set up to run on vanilla fs2, and the weapon stats etc. have been picked to be as true to an authentic fs1 experience as possible.

If the Avenger is actually better than the Prometheus in FS1...then changing the stats displayed for it onscreen to reflect that fact wouldn't be a 'rebalancing' would it?

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
It's not really the stats that are the problem.
As I said, the game lies to you.  The loadout screen says the Prometheus has better shield damage than the Avenger, which isn't true.  it gives descriptors to all the weapons that essentially imply that whatever weapon you got most recently does the most damage.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
The stats are absolutely the problem in the sense that it would make more sense to boost the Prometheus damage rather than change the command briefing to say "It's kind of beside the point now that we have the Avenger, but our scientists invented this!"

Offline CT27

It's not really the stats that are the problem.
As I said, the game lies to you.  The loadout screen says the Prometheus has better shield damage than the Avenger, which isn't true.  it gives descriptors to all the weapons that essentially imply that whatever weapon you got most recently does the most damage.

That's kind of what I was saying earlier.  I believe the loadout screen for the Avenger says "low shield damage" and the Prometheus says "high shield damage".  Shouldn't the Avenger description be changed onscreen?

I like how the complaint is network code when the difference between the network code now and the network code in the 90s is zero.
....And connections are better these days, and people played it just fine back then.
Game is no different now and hasn't been ever. It's totally playable, and modern games have the same problem (SC/E:D/Valkyrie).
Meh. HLPs opinions of multi is one of the things that made me give up giving a **** here :(
Multiple times...
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

I've played a fair amount of PvP in E:D and I've never seen the kind of stuttering people complain about in FSO multi.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I like how the complaint is network code when the difference between the network code now and the network code in the 90s is zero.
....And connections are better these days, and people played it just fine back then.
Game is no different now and hasn't been ever. It's totally playable, and modern games have the same problem (SC/E:D/Valkyrie).
Meh. HLPs opinions of multi is one of the things that made me give up giving a **** here :(
Multiple times...
Because you are the only person who holds this opinion. No matter how many times you repeat "it was fine back in 1999!", this isn't going to magically change what people are experiencing with FSO right now in 2016. You think the multiplayer netcode holds up, good for you! Nobody else seems to agree with you.

"Stop complaining about the netcode guys, none of your perceived issues are real. It's fine because I said so! I'm so tired of telling you guys this, why won't you just accept that it's perfectly fine and playable?" <-- literally you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:11:19 am by Spoon »
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
The fsport team has not generally followed that ideal, radical change isn't something the fsport team really like to do.
If that were true, the Typhon and at least one other ship wouldn't have been given check hull flags on its turrets, they're perfectly willing to bend gameplay when they want to
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline CT27

The stats are absolutely the problem in the sense that it would make more sense to boost the Prometheus damage rather than change the command briefing to say "It's kind of beside the point now that we have the Avenger, but our scientists invented this!"

What would you change about the Prometheus:

Hull damage?
Shield damage?
Range?
Rate of fire?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Probably hull damage to be more in line with how its built up in game. Once again, the Avenger outperforms it in every way. It doesn't need to be better than the Avenger, it just needs to have some reason to recommend it. Even if its speed was increased from 450 to be more in line with the Banshee, that would be a big step forward.

If that were true, the Typhon and at least one other ship wouldn't have been given check hull flags on

Fair enough.